all posts post new thread

Old Forum Mikhail Kalashnikov obituary and the kettle bell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jason Ginsberg

Level 4 Valued Member
This is not related to strength training, but I thought it would be of interest since the Pavel has compared the kettlebell to the kalashnikov in a few of his books.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/24/world/europe/mikhail-kalashnikov-creator-of-soviet-era-ak-47-weapon-is-dead-at-age-94.html?_r=0

There's a particular quote that caught my eye:

"Shorter than traditional infantry rifles and firing a cartridge midway between the power of a pistol and the standard rifle cartridges of the day, the Kalashnikov line was initially dismissed by American ordnance experts as a weapon of small consequence. It was not particularly accurate or well made, they said, and it lacked range and stopping power.

It cemented its place in martial history in the 1960s in Vietnam. There, a new American rifle, the M-16, experienced problems with corrosion and jamming in the jungles, while Kalashnikovs, carried by Vietcong guerrillas and North Vietnamese soldiers, worked almost flawlessly."

Why is this interesting to me? Because it shows that while the AK-47 was initially dismissed because it didn't do some things as well as other weapons, some of it's perceived flaws were actually virtues in the right circumstances, and let it find an important place in the history of weaponry. Similarly, you can find lots of people online bashing the kettlebell for not being a barbell or a dumbbell, but many of the features that seem like disadvantages to some actually lend themselves to very useful applications that the kettlebell is better suited for.

Interesting analogy Jason.   Btw there's a really interesting history of the Kalashnikov called "The Gun."  Good read.

Thanks Jason, Intresting read.

Every tool as its advantages and disadvantages.

I believe most should stick with Dumbbells as chances are many don't have the self discipline to spend the extra time learning the Kettlebell technique.  Kettlebells are more technical and can be dangerous if technique is poor. But the kettlebell as benefits many fail to see. And those that dismiss the bell mostly haven't given it a fair crack of the whip anyhow. So who cares what they think.

Some times its merely personal preference.

Those no doubt to me pressing or doing a Getup with a Kettlebell is better for the shoulder. Swinging no contest. Though for snatching I would use a Dumbbell.

As some of us are Americans, are we really going to praise a man who invented a tool that was used to kill American teenagers?

Profound thinking Jason.

If a beautiful lady pressed a 48 KG kettlebell, what was important, the beauty or the beast? A tool has no mind or intent.  We could praise of curse the inventor of the kettlebell, or the kettlebell itself, for strong bodies, or injured ones.

I have to agree with Dave. Many of the most life changing inventions have come from terrible events. Nuclear power originates from the Manhattan project, space flight was built on technology gained from Nazi research. If a dirty bomb went off would we vilify Albert Einstein for making that possible?

Brian, nothing I wrote was praising Mr. Kalashnikov, and that obituary I posted was ambivalent at best. As I stated in the original post, I found it interesting, since Pavel has referenced the kalashnikov several times. Americans have invented tools that were and are being used to kill teenagers in other parts of the world, do those lives not count? Furthermore, if you are so offended by this, what are you doing on the website of a company who's head is the son of a Soviet officer, and who himself served and trained Soviet military? I'm an American, and proud to be one; that doesn't mean I have to vilify the rest of the world.

Thanks for the recommendation Michael, will check that out. Hope you've been well, can't believe it's almost 2.5 years!

My point is being missed here.  I don't have a problem with what Jason wrote.  I wouldn't think of stuff like that and I give him credit.  It's the next post below where he earned the right to rest in peace.  How does one know?

Jason's point is its a simple and efficient tool, just like the kettlebell.  It didn't have bells and whistles like other weapons.  A kettlebell doesn't look as pretty as some fitness equipment.  But they both work.  I agree with it.  Yes, as Americans we've had some inventions that have inflicted damage.   I agree.

Ah, sorry Brian, I misunderstood what you wrote. My apologies; I think this is one of these situations where if we were actually talking in person, or even on the phone, we would have understood each other perfectly. Ah, the internet and it's endless capacity to enable me to make a fool of myself : )

Thank you for the kind words Pavel, glad you found it worthwhile!

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." -Jeff Cooper

As far as Mikhail and his final rest, only God can be the judge of that. I certainly can't fault the man for designing a weapon intended to keep his fellow soldiers safer. I don't think LA gangsters or child soldiers in Africa even entered his mind as a possibility when he designed that rifle.

But I guess this horse has been beat enough noe.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom