all posts post new thread

Old Forum Military press and pecs

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

IvanK

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi all
I'm new to the forum and kettlebell training. I've been reading Pavel stuff for quite e while now and I'm studying S&S to start the program minimum. In the meanwhile i'm doing chinups and kettlebell military presses. The question is: do the pecs work on military presses? I'd like to avoid too much different exercises but I want them to be complete before I start the S&S program.

Thanks!

Ok thanks! I had the doubt because if you search on the internet a lot of people say that military press doesn't grow chest.

No, your pecs do not receive significant work when doing a strict military press.  If building strength in your pecs is your main goal than the bench press is the lift you want to be doing.  However, the over head press is a great exercise, and it builds strength that is very applicable to sports and everyday life.

Well it's not my main goal but I don't want to overlook anything (besides my chest is pretty weak)

To quote Dan John: "think movements, not muscles". Do you need to include a pressing movement? Yes. Can the getup or military press satisfy that role? Yes. Do you need to "work your chest"? No, not unless your goal is to be a bodybuilder.

S&S is complete as it is; I strongly recommend you do the program as written, add nothing else unless it's playing a sport or doing a martial art or something like that, until you get to the simple goals. Then, you can reevaluate from there. If you actually do the program as written, you can probably achieve this within a few months, which is not much time at all.

S&S is not a complete program, as no minimalist approach is. It's leaves gaps in movement and other qualities.  I will stand corrected when somebody dominates a sport on swings and get ups.  Also, what does training the chest have to do with bodybuilding  it's a basic upperbody movement that develops strength better than most, as it's loadable more than most.

No I'm not interested in body building, only health and strenght. Obviously I'd like to reach a body shape like Pavel's :p

Yes, pressing will help your pecs. As will chinups. Stay tight and let us know how it goes.

Hello Ivan, you can't effectively hit everything.  If you focus on too many things you are not going to get the best results.  If strength and general fitness are your main goals I think the best thing you could do is start S&S.  Don't worry if your weak in certain areas, the program is meant to make you strong.

Bodybuildings routes are in strength and health, you see to drawing a broad brush of what you deam bodybuilding. You can learn a lot from bodybuilding.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom