all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Military press pr

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Buffalo

Level 5 Valued Member
It's been awhile sence I've had the chance to work on the simple goal, so I'm back to almost starting from scratch. But I did some military pressed yoday with my 35 and 53 lb kettlebell. Looked over and saw my neglected 80 lb bell sitting there. Decided to try and press it. Got as tight as I could. Cleaned it with the strong hand. Last time I tried the 80 I couldn't get it to budge. I did my best to brase and power breath, the bell moved 6" without raising the shoulder and keeping my knees lock. Decided to push threw the wall. I kept my forarm vertical and managed to get it to lock out. My stronger arm managed to go with a little less pause. That's the first time I got them to lock out without dipping the legs for help!
Wow that's alot of stress on the lats. I will feel that in the a.m. now to get my diet and conditioning back in line where they should be and work on the simple goals.

Congrats on the new PB Buffalo.

This may sound counter-intuitive, but I find after setting a new PB the best thing to do is to reduce your training load for a few weeks. It's easy to get caught up in the euphoria that comes from beating an old mark and fall in to the trap of trying to push that hard all the time.

If you do try to keep pushing that hard it's easy to burn out 2 or 3 weeks down the track from over training. Where if you start at a more moderate weight and cycle back up to that weight you set a PB with, you'll find you can lift that bell like clockwork in a month to six weeks and never be in a state of over training during that six weeks. Then it will become your new standard go-to weight.

Thanks, that was my plan. I'm working on the simple goals again. But plan on gtg with my presses with my 24kg bell.

Congrats on the new PB Buffalo.

This may sound counter-intuitive, but I find after setting a new PB the best thing to do is to reduce your training load for a few weeks. It's easy to get caught up in the euphoria that comes from beating an old mark and fall in to the trap of trying to push that hard all the time.

If you do try to keep pushing that hard it's easy to burn out 2 or 3 weeks down the track from over training. Where if you start at a more moderate weight and cycle back up to that weight you set a PB with, you'll find you can lift that bell like clockwork in a month to six weeks and never be in a state of over training during that six weeks. Then it will become your new standard go-to weight.
Great advice! I always did the opposite and just tried to break every PR under the sun - like a madman. Until I hit 35. Then my shoulders started to fall apart. Now I practice patience so much more that if the "me" from 10 years ago could visit - he wouldn't recognize the older me as being him. Confusing, yeah. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom