all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Military Training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
That's true. The Goblet Squat reminds me a lot of the Zercher Squat (which I love when I'm training free weights). I think I might go back and forth between the pistol and a more heavy goblet. It's funny though at my house as of now I only have to KBs, a 15 and a 45.

Hello,

I think I might go back and forth between the pistol and a more heavy goblet. It's funny though at my house as of now I only have to KBs, a 15 and a 45.
I guess it deliver pretty well when we see the figures.

Plus, it is possible to do it the anti-glycolytic way to avoid burning out.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Sergeant, if you're still relatively new to KB training (as per your first post), I'd personally recommend staying away from something as ambitious as the SSST, even only as a weekly evolution, until you've at least owned "Simple" (the TGUs and one-arm swing standards outlined in Simple & Sinister). Once you start closing in on those mid-range goals, feel free to start incorporating easy snatches as a practice, and gradually up the volume from there.

This isn't to say that snatches aren't valuable (they've completely replaced running for me, YMMV), but we simply ought to pay our dues and not, to use a martial arts analogy, try to test for brown belt before dialing in the white belt level fundamentals. Citing Paul Wade again, remember that the heavy/hard stuff ain't going anywhere. For your purposes, S&S is absolute gold--if I ran the military, TGUs, swings and goblet squats would be taught in boot camp and practiced frequently. The only real drawback with the program is that it's admittedly somewhat boring, but that's our problem. We deal with it.

I would also second Mr. Ciampa's advice to only practice your situps as prep for an impending PFT. I've observed that once a trainee has met "Simple" for the TGU, the situp portion of the test is probably no longer a concern.

Ditto for pushups. I'm of the opinion that once a man can perform 50 quality reps in under a minute, that's the point of diminishing returns if strength is the goal; they're simply not going to make us stronger after that. You might, however, train yourself into an overuse injury (a lesson I learned the hard way long ago, so hopefully you and your boys won't have to). True, I sympathize that we have to put in competitive scores on the PFT, but diligent KB work can certainly maintain respectable numbers when mixed with all the unavoidable pushup sessions I have no doubt are part and parcel to grunt life. Have faith in the process.

Never forget that when it comes to intelligent physical training, as you'll read in S&S: "more" isn't necessarily better, it's just... more.

I'm new to exclusively training with KBs. I am by no means a "master" at it but I've been doing the Swings for awhile. Which is nice because that's the foundation in a large portion of KB exercises. I will admit the one-arm swing I am not that powerful in just yet but that's what I use the 15lb KB for. I've gotten to the point where I can even Snatch multiple times with out crushing my wrists. Since Monday a Conditioning day I'm more worried about doing the work and aiming at getting multiple reps in to help perfect the move. The goal weight I am far from. I did the S&S test with the 15lb and was ready to do more.

I would like to say I fully understand where you're coming from by putting in the time. When I very first started doing Swings I jumped right to the one-arm swing and really hurt my back. I did zero research on form and figured I could jump right in. After years of training in calisthenics and free weights I thought I'd throw the KB back into one of my endurance circuits. I did more research on it and greatly improved my swing. After thinking long and hard one day I realized the best part of my entire endurance circuit was the KB Swings. Which is how I'm in the position I am in today. Wanting to train exclusively with calisthenics and KBs.

I do agree that it appears boring but after free weight lifting for so long and having to hit four or five exercises to completely work a muscle has grown old to me. Simple and pure. Good ol' complex lifts to make the body work TOGETHER instead of isolating. It's so much more fun for me like this. In this sense less is more for me and although it seems boring every time I train I feel like a kid in the candy shop. lol

I honestly haven't trained sit ups in a LONG time. I love V-Ups and hanging toe-to-bars. Doing more enjoyable training that hits the abdominals and hip flexor muscles makes for a better training session.

I agree with your thoughts on push ups. Instead of busting out a crazy number of push ups in a day I'd rather do strong time under tension (TUT) push ups. My 10 reps will feel like you've done 30 (at least). I also enjoy doing one-arm TUT push ups and one-arm TUT hinge push ups. The only time I'll bust out 78 reps in less than two minutes is during the APFT.

@J Petersen thank you for your kind words and your advice. Having a 15 and 45lb KB is a little hard to pick the proper weight when trying to do some of these things. Any time I feel like I'm not doing it properly or I want to form check I'll either drop to the 15lb or I'll go back to the VERY basics of towel Swings. Just want you to know that I'm being respectful of the art of KBs.

Hello,

@Rico Killjoy
In the case you would want to "simplify" your training:
S&S warm-up, then S&S, then flexibility (as you said, mobility will be covered by your PT).
Then pull ups (weighted or not, in function of what you prefer) 2 or 3 times a week.

However, nothing prevents you to vary a little, using a 10 minutes EMOM protocol with snatches or C&J or heavy goblet squats instead of swings.

I precise I am not a militar or kettlebell professional, and have absolutely no legitimacy to tell you what to do or not to do ! ;)

EDIT:
It that thread, @Steve Freides's post can also give some ideas to vary from the TGU:
Alternative to TGU

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
I really love the TGU.
Swings, one-arm Swings, H2H Swings, snatch, and TGU those are my favorite kettlebell exercises. I do a few more but those are the ones that I get pumped up the most for. lol

Rico,

Very interesting reading all these posts. Here is my opinion, keep in mind I'm not a trainer or in the military, I'm a nobody that just enjoys throwing around iron.

When it comes to kettlebells, specifically, I would do nothing more than 1 arm swings and getups until you are comfortably working with a 70 lb (32kg) bell on both exercises, 4-7 days per week. The fastest way from point A to B is a straight line, so just get strong as fast as possible. Throwing in some pull ups and pushups might be good too, but I would take it easy, really really easy. I am personally not a fan of sit ups. I m flexion intolerant in my lower back, doing 82 sit ups would be torture for me, and I would probably face repercussions for days. I would minimise sit ups and only train them before a test. But that may not be an option for you if they are required to be trained in the military.

Here is how I approached S&S, hopefully this helps you. I did it for almost 1 year and started right when the book was released a few years ago (I think it was 2013, I can't remember). I was in my mid thirties in age. I always did a couple warm up reps with a light bell (halos, goblet squats, and that other exercises where you hinge laying on the ground (I forget the name)).

I started with the 20kg or 24 kg bell, and did 100 1 arm swings followed by 10 getups. I never cared about the time and most workouts lasted at most 30 minutes. I did this almost everyday for the first few months. I will admit I never really gave the recommended stretches (QL and Straddle, I believe they were called) enough focus. Most of the time I skipped the stretches or did other stretches I thought were more relevant to my issues. This was probably a mistake but that is the truth of it.

As time progresses I got stronger and better at 1 arm swings and getups. I eventually got comfortable working with an 88 lb bell (40kg). At the time this was the largest bell I owned. Again, I never pushed the time. The book recommends 10min and 5 min for the exercises, but it usually took me almost twice as long.

Towards the end, the last few months, my weekly practice dropped in frequency. This was a little bit because of boredom, I will admit, but I never quit. Instead of 6 or 7 days a week I did 3-5 days, never planned, just based on how I felt. Instead, on the other days, I did one of the following: A) long walk with 75 lb weight vest with my 3 large dogs pulling me, B) short walk carrying 125 lb sand bag (this was a killer and another game changer for strength and conditioning for me!), C) do nothing / drink a beer / take a nap / be lazy / ha ha that is the truth.

I eventually transitioned from S&S back into barbell training (it had been a couple years since I touched a barbell, I had a back injury, long story...), and I quickly exceeded my previous best lifts, by a real lot. S&S made me very strong! Do not underestimate it. The key is to do nothing else (or little else), until the 7olb bell feels somewhere between somewhat easy and not hard.

I hope this helps you and your team, and thanks for your service.

Regards,

Eric

@william bad butt
A lot of what you said is good advice but the majority of your training seems more focused around strength. I need strength and endurance.

Also the reason why I wouldn't only want to do one-arm swings is due to the fact that you can use more explosive movements with a traditional swing. I will still do one-arm swings but I also like to make sure I do normal swings as well.

For the past month I was on leave and was only doing one work out a day. Which was nice because I got to run and ruck however I wanted and I didn't have to waste energy on some of the pointless PT sessions people would make up. Now I'm back at work and I'll admit 100% that doing morning PT and then picking up the ol' KB after work is a bit more taxing due to my leave. As of now I've stuck to the S&S program (I finally read the book) and have been doing that as my after work training. As stated awhile back the Army typically only focus on endurance. Coming home knocking out 3x5 prying Goblet squats (5sec pause at bottom), half bridges(5sec pause at top), and halos then going into 5x10 swing, 5x1 TGU, and 2x10 one-arm swing is a pretty solid place for me until I readapt to morning PT craziness.

Again I thank you for your advice and I constantly challenge myself with either more sets, less rest time, or more weight. As of now I use a 15lb KB for all the warm ups, and 45lb KB for the swings and TGU.

For the moment this is my weekly routine. With the new duty station I'm at it's Platoon PT (which is a shame because it's easier to improve people if you work in smaller groups). I do this routine in the afternoon and in the mornings I do 60-90min of PT with the Platoon. Monday is always a run day (I'm assuming a 5 mile at an 8-9min mile pace) and Thursday is always a ruck (I'm assuming always 35lb quick pace to the point of almost wanting to jog. My assumption on those two days are based off of what a Platoon run and ruck normally consists of for the past 7 years.

I will be taking "days off" as needed. I'll do at least 5x10 which ever swing for that day and 5x1 TGU if I'm really tired. Other wise if I'm good to go this will be my routine. During every rest break I'll be walking around and verifying with my body if I'm over doing it or simply challenging myself. Challenge is fine, but the moment you start feeling drained and weaker than when you started (not lazy and wanting to watch TV) that's when I'll stop if I haven't already completed the days training.

WARM UP
3x5
Prying Goblet Squats
Half Bridge
Haloes
Deadlift
(Slow circuit)

Sunday
-S&S
Swings - 10x10
TGU - 10x1 Per

Monday
-USSS 10-minute snatch test
200 snatches
-5-10min rest
-S&S Test
One Arm Swings (10 reps both arms every minute for 5min)
1min rest
Get Up (1 Get Up per minute switching hands every other minute for 10min)

Tuesday
-S&S
Swings - 10x10
TGU - 10x1 Per
-C&P
-Weighted Tactical Pull Up
-Weighted Pistol Squat/Goblet
3 x 1, 2, 3
Do all exercises in a slow ladder circuit.

Wednesday
-S&S
One-Arm Swings - 5x10
TGU - 10x1 Per
-One-Arm Swing 5×10
-One-Arm Snatch 5×10
Finish all swings before starting snatch.

Thursday
-S&S
Swings - 10x10
TGU - 10x1 Per
3x5
-Double KB Military Press
-Weighted Parallel Grip Pull Up
-Double KB Front Squat
Do all exercises in a slow circuit.

Friday
-S&S
Swings - 10x10
TGU - 10x1 Per
Slow circuit.

Saturday
-S&S
Swings - 10x10
TGU - 10x1 Per

That plan you just listed out, even if your platoon PT sucks, is a ton of volume. You won't be able to progress your S&S stuff very well with all the double presses, squats, USSS snatch test every week, weighted pull ups, etc. It looks good on paper, but add that to the BS platoon stuff, and any actual training you do in IOTV and helmet, etc. I just think you are either a real beast or have just over estimated how much PT you need.

I'm also an E-5, I'm in a Mechanized Infantry unit in the guard now, but was previously in the Marines and did plenty of light infantry time in both a line unit, and a sniper platoon. I'm telling you from experience, simpler is better. If you are getting plenty of conditioning with the platoon, just do S&S on your own and go heavier. If you need a complete plan, do Al Ciampa's soldier prep which was posted above. The military athlete Afghan prep or Squad PT are others to look into with a little more volume. Maybe Pavel's force recon workout with some rucking thrown in would be ok. But it looks to me like you have taken some proven programs, and combined, chopped and mashed them into something that is completely unproven. I would just go back and do something "as written" by one of the pros. And do anything you can to get that Platoon PT micromanagement crap changed.

Just 2 cents from a fellow soldier.
Seek battle.

I concur with the above...that is a ton of volume. Two things jumped out at me right away -

1. The snatch test...is a test. Not a weekly routine.
2. I don't know if you have a goal. 10 goals is not a goal.

This plan seems to have a few different ones mixed together. Why not do one thing at a time?

A couple resources:

The Military Athlete Afghan Prep plan I mentioned. I like StrongFirst's training methods better, but Military Athlete makes some very "sport specific" plans that work really well. Is it more volume than need? Or best movement choices? I don't know, but they are proven to accomplish the goals laid out for the program. They just may not always follow the less is more or "minimum effective dose" and maximum simplicity that StrongFirst strives for.
Afghanistan Pre-Deployment Training Plan

Tactical Barbell is great if you have access to barbells and need to build a solid strength base. Includes various templates to fit any schedule or work around other training volume.
Amazon.com: Tactical Barbell: Definitive Strength Training for the Operational Athlete eBook: K. Black: Kindle Store

Tactical Barbell 2 has some good conditioning ideas to go along with their strength templates.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014...1_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5MPXP69F9B4Q5PWH16SN

Hello,

@Rico Killjoy
Another option, among other, but slightly different : Crossfit. You could go for some WODs on an everydray basis (but hitting the WOD only, not necessarily an entire session).

Kind regards,

Pet'

I agree there's a fair amount going on here but look at it this way.
1) Before I got into KBs I use to lift for two hours after the work day.
2) The main point is hitting the S&S if time permits I do the rest (being a Squad Leader is a lot of work on and off duty).
3) When it comes to the double KB stuff it's a goal to work towards. As of now it's all single KB exercises.
4) I have three options when it comes to weight: body weight, 15lb KB, and 45lb KB.
5) The ability to actually listen to your body. With all the injuries I've had while being in the military and still needing to stay in shape I've learned really well how to read my body and know to continue working out or to stop. I've had nerve damage, torn muscles, broken bones, ripped shoulders (the labrum not the rotator cuff), and a whole huge list of stuff. I knew I needed to keep my body strong. Try deploying and telling your Fire Team "I'm not going out on mission because I'm hurt. You're going to have to lead your self." If you're a real Leader you would never do that. So what do you do? Conduct your own physical therapy while still getting abused on mission.
Do I do this routine day by day exactly as listed? Negative I don't. I do how ever do it as much a my body allows with out taking injuries. Some days I might do the full routine and then other days I back off a little bit and only do the swings and TGU.
After being on a Quick Responce Force you know that you can just complete a work out and get thrown out on mission with out warning. I've learned this and added it to every training session. Keep asking your self if you feel weaker or stronger as the training goes on. If you're starting to feel a little drained increase that rest break and see if you need to catch your second wind or if you're actually over doing it a bit. After every work out I can easily go straight on mission.
Again let me just state that I understand this comes off as a lot but you're also taking it terms of actually doing two armed stuff and easily having the ability to walk to a corner and pick up a heavier KB. I only have the three weights; body weight, 15, and 45.

I personally believe the most important thing is knowing your body and adapting. Having a training program drawn up is GREAT, but you need to be able to adapt. Your diet, sleep, and previous training might prevent you from doing today's training. On a smaller note you go to the gym and all the bench press are taken. You can either choose a different training for that day or simply grab a couple of dumbbells and do dumbbell press rather than bench. Either way you're adapting.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom