all posts post new thread

Old Forum Military

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rios

Level 1 Valued Member
Good Afternoon,

Im new to this forum. I'm trying to seek out some guidance on the Courses. I'm currently in the Marine Corps and have been using Kettlebells for awhile now. I'm looking to take a course but would I gain the most from a Kettlebell course or just aim for the certification?

I have not done either, just another (former) Marine also looking to take a course at some point.

It seems to me the main difference is the cert is geared more towards someone in a teaching/coaching position.

Will you be teaching others? I think an MAI or IT would really benefit from the cert.

When I have the funds, I want to do both. Both is probably the best answer here.

David,I'm glad I'm not the only Marine on here.

I'm not an MAI, I'm just seeking more info on programming for our needs. My last unit was heavy on kettlebells. I figured getting more knowledge would help others to train properly.

I'm not gonna lie. I bought into the whole crossfit deal and passed the cert. I came out disappointed. That's another story.

The reason I bring up both KB courses is because they both list different curriculum.

You are not the only Marines, but having been released from active duty 43 years ago, I'm one of the older ones.

I took the basic SFG class last November, 10 months into KB training. The good news, I had learned my lessons fairly well from books and videos. The other good news, the training was excellent and helped me not only improve my TGUs and pressing, but may have prevented me from injuring myself. I have good hip mobility and can squat way down comfortably into relaxation. Too much tailbone tuck that I was not aware of and I'm now stopping a bit short of that when I squat. The goblet squats got me squatting with good posture and I'm doing double kettlebell front squats in the rack position and feeling good about my form, though I'm about due to video myself and look for the tailbone tuck again.

I recommend the class. It is single bell. I haven't done the cert, but I think it is oriented toward double bells and instructing.I'm just not ready physically for it yet. I'm only 64 so I have time to get ready for it before I'm too old, whatever that is ;0)

For the moment, I'm meeting my original goals and objectives. In about 14 months I've shed 70 pounds of fat and though I'm not yet strong, I'm stronger than when I started and feeling about 20 years younger (seriously). I've become a kettlebell missionary, former fat guy. I can let my bulldog tattoo show without feeling like I'm disgracing the Corps now.

So, the SFG class did me good and I'm glad that I took it. The cert? Maybe one day, but as I mentioned, at this time I'm on track toward my goals with what I'm doing.

Sempers.

Rios, the course is a perfect start.  Later you will decide whether you need a cert or not.

Thank you for doing your duty.

Thanks Gents, I'm signing up for the next available course in the area. Thank you Pavel, I'm a big fan and advocate of your methods.

Dave, I agree. The Kettlebell is about as manly as Ruck Marching in my book. It took some growing up on my part to see that its really the only strength tool I needed. In my experience, it's the only thing that's been consistent with what I put in. And even now from seeing results by snatching the 32kg I feel like I wasted my time with other "random" training methods.

I could talk about Kettlebells all day. My wife calls them my Girlfriends for some reason.

If you'll pardon a long time lurking squid (and first time poster) chiming in, many moons ago I was a certified RKC, and without even declaring it on the brag sheet, the chain of command opted to make that a prominent bullet on the eval for that cycle, due in no small part to the sheer number of folks I was successfully coaching with the know-how--this included a couple of Marines, as well.  So while your mileage may vary, I'd venture to say that if your particular group was as clued in with kettlebells as you'd said, you may well find your rep will get you far with your peers when you become the go-to guy.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom