all posts post new thread

Old Forum Milk

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

yorkshirecomrade

Level 5 Valued Member
Milk... I used to love it, I don't now after an illness a couple of years ago. But, my little boy is soon to be one and I know there is a lot of controversy surrounding the consumption of milk.

Does anyone have any valuable insights or knowledge or links to provide me with to help me decide whether my little dude should be consuming or ignoring the white stuff? I cant digest the stuff anymore, makes me feel awful.

I think all animal products being top of the food chain (compared to plants) and powerful accumulators of environmental toxins (as well as making their own under stress!) should be consumed only if raised in a way that is extremely beneficial to their health. That means cows eat grass, never soy etc, chickens eat bugs and greens and roam around in very large outdoor space, fish swim free in deep clean water, pigs have lots of ground to tear up and root around in and eat grubs, roots, etc. You get the idea.

If you decide to give him milk you can source out that from 100% grass fed and hormone free cows only. Also, fermented like yogurt and kefir are much easier to digest as well as providing good probiotics for the gut. And watch him closely for increased mucus/phlegm production, digestive upset, constipation, those sorts of signs that indicate his system is not really liking it all that much.

That's my $0.02  Just wire it to my offshore account ;)

I tolerate dairy very well, and my kids handle it just fine as well. That said, there is nothing magical or special about milk. It is a convenient way to get a substantial amount of fat and protein into a small child, and those are the two most important nutrients for a growing mammal of any species. The concoction that got my kids very happily through a lot of meals in years 1-3 was a mixture of full-fat yogurt, avocado and banana thrown into a blender. They had some milk in addition to that, but it definitely wouldn't have been necessary.

the full fat yogurt, avocado and banana concoction (with a touch of local honey) has been a morning staple in my house - the kids loved it (so do I!) and tolerated it without issue - its  nutrient dense and quite filling.  we started with grass fed full fat cows milk at 1 year after the kids stopped nursing, without incidence the kids like it and the dr. recommended it.  we had a neighbor who had her kids on goat's milk due to her own intolerance of cows milk and that worked fine as well.

Check out http://www.realmilk.com for info and locations that supply it. Places like https://www.farmmatch.com are good for locating co-op farms selling these products.

Been drinking raw milk products for over 10 years and my kids have grown up on it. They can't tollerate store bought milk but have no problem with grass fed raw milk. Our doctor OK'd the boys being on it and my wife used it thru both pregnancy's and beyond. She has IBS and was fine drinking it.

Good luck in your research!

Milk, yogurt, along with egges make up the bulk of my protien intake.

when I was young I did the gallon per day, switched to half gallon later in life.

past couple years replaced alot of the milk intake with eggs and yogurt.

to much sugar in milk for me these days.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom