all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong Mixing BuiltStrong with PlanStrong

jaku

Level 4 Valued Member
Is it possible to modularize movement patterns? For example, I'd like to increase my deadlift strength but would like to continue building muscle via Squat.

I'd say yes (caveat my only exposure to both plans are from built strong minimalist and following some plan strong plans)

What I would do

Squat push pull using built strong then use a plan strong deadlift plan or even just do the daily dose deadlift

A little more context will also help
How much are you deadlifting and squatting at the moment and at what bodyweight?

PlanStrong has a hypertrophy variant. I used it successfully to gain strength, build muscle and lose fat

I think I recall the hypertrophy variant, that might be PlanStrong 50. To Mark's point, I woke up this morning realizing that I could split it using a more minimal BTS program and use PlanStrong on the other 3 movement patterns.

More context? I'm 145 and I deadlift 375 (trap bar) - I stopped doing conventional. Idk my squat 1rm anymore, but last time i checked it was around 225. Although I programmed my BuiltStrong cycle using 200 as my max since I came off of a 2-3 week break.

I think I recall the hypertrophy variant, that might be PlanStrong 50. To Mark's point, I woke up this morning realizing that I could split it using a more minimal BTS program and use PlanStrong on the other 3 movement patterns.

More context? I'm 145 and I deadlift 375 (trap bar) - I stopped doing conventional. Idk my squat 1rm anymore, but last time i checked it was around 225. Although I programmed my BuiltStrong cycle using 200 as my max since I came off of a 2-3 week break.
I'd stick to my earlier recommendation then

Do a built strong plan for your squats and just use an easy strength or daily dose deadlift approach for your TBDL

Squat push pull using built strong then use a plan strong deadlift plan or even just do the daily dose deadlift

I'm planning on doing this exactly when I run BuiltStrong Minimalist.

I'm currently running the Russian Bear Program (zerchers and ohp), adding in Daily Dose Deadlifts and ring rows.

IMO daily dose deadlift (DDD) is fantastic for taking care of your hip hinge. I've even scaled back DDD to three days a week and alternated that with Heavy two-hand swings EMOM.

Is there a particular reason why you recommend using DDD instead of PlanStrong?
I'd stick to my earlier recommendation then

Do a built strong plan for your squats and just use an easy strength or daily dose deadlift approach for your TBDL

Is there a particular reason why you recommend using DDD instead of PlanStrong?
Just so that you can allow more recovery..

You can swap easy strength or do the daily dose deadlift plan but do squats

Just so that you can allow more recovery..

You can swap easy strength or do the daily dose deadlift plan but do squats

To clarify. You're saying if you're using PlanStrong for Squats, do ES or DDD for Deadlifts. Does that apply vice versa?

Back
Top Bottom