all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mixing weights, running and rowing?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JW513

Level 5 Valued Member
I lift MWF and run TTS..... I want to start rowing only 15 minutes or so after I lift. Obviously, I wont know until I try, but does this sound like too much.? My weight lifting is, sandbag training, bodyweight training and sledgehammer/grip training.

I lift MWF and run TTS..... I want to start rowing only 15 minutes or so after I lift. Obviously, I wont know until I try, but does this sound like too much.? My weight lifting is, sandbag training, bodyweight training and sledgehammer/grip training.
Well.... there are a lot of variables here...
It will depend on the intensity of each session, and your training history.
For 'newbies' or deconditioned individuals this could be way too much. For seasoned veterans and elite level athletes this might not even be a maintenance load.

Additionally what is your recovery strategy?

What are your overall goals?

BTW... sledgehammer work is great!

15 minutes of rowing will hardly make it too much. Just start with an average HR below 120 and see what happens. Then adjust as required. JMO.

Well.... there are a lot of variables here...
It will depend on the intensity of each session, and your training history.
For 'newbies' or deconditioned individuals this could be way too much. For seasoned veterans and elite level athletes this might not even be a maintenance load.

Additionally what is your recovery strategy?

What are your overall goals?

BTW... sledgehammer work is great!

I just like being in great shape.. I never push myself to hard while working out, because I'm in construction. I need to save energy for work. But I'm always progressing and moving forward. I also, try to do some sort of yoga everyday, sometimes its only 5 minutes, somethings it is 30 or 40 minutes a day. My work capacity is pretty high.

I'm probably enlisting in the Navy. I'm 26 now and its something I should have done 8 years ago but my mother got sick and that sorta messed everything up. So, even though I am in really good shape, my goal is just to keep moving forward and trying to better myself.

Then I agree with @Oscar that adding 15min of rowing after lifting will probably not be a big deal. But just keep an eye on things, because like you said, you need to not jeopardize your ability to work.

Enlist in the Navy... go for it!

This is a great recovery tool, I like to use rowing at times to clean up metabolic waste, after resistance training, especially the more glycolytic work, the rower comes in very handy. When rowing I like to keep a straight back and do sort of a pulse row. There's a micro pause at the bottom of the stroke, then a gentle pull to initiate momentum, as the momentum builds up speed I finish the pull.
This pulse action coaxes the heart into a nice rhythm, my preferred recovery rate is between 100 and 110 BPM, you'll find that the longer you row the HR will steadily drop, mostly after the 25-30 minute mark.
This is my preferred use of the rower these days as I get most LED work from walking, running and rucking. The rower is great but I prefer some wind in the face and nice scenery.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom