all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Modified Turkish Get-up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Its almost the only way I do it too.

I remember hearing that people who practice to much shin walking in Akido end up with arthritis in their knees when they are older from grinding away the cartilage. (much like those who work with concrete and are on their knees a lot)

The movement is very very similar and that always made me nervous, so when I saw this alternate I jumped on it.

Jon, I used to do Aikido and stopped after a few years but I am sure I did some damage that way. TGU's esp when you start to go heavy...ouch!

Now I just need an alternative movement for the goblet squat in S&S warmup (Osteoarthritis in knees).

Thanks you for posting the link to that video. The rotation on the planted knee has been bothering me a bit. I've been wearing long pants when training which helps some but I much prefer shorts when training.  This version of the TGU is perfect.

Ron re: long pants--A couple years ago I was doing TGU's several days/week in shorts and had a lot more problems w/ nasty callouses on my knees than on my hands from doing swings, etc.

I tried this modified version of the TGU in this morning's S&S workout and it is perfect. The first few reps felt strange but by reps 4 & 5 I knew this version is a winner.

Finally decided that for my long term mobility I need to swear off TGU's. Even doing them this way, that leading edge of condylar cartilage grinds on the floor sometime, not every time, but often enough to be of concern. My knees have been constantly achy and sore since I started doing them again. Oh well, swings, squats, variations, no worries...

Hey Geoffrey - another option is the squat-style TGU, where you get up with a squat rather than a lunge. It may be a different set of problems mobility-wise, but it's a thought.

You don't grind your knee on the ground, but you're doing a deep overhead squat.

There are some videos on YouTube.

If anything worse as there is no way to avoid lateral shearing forces on joint at least so far as I have been able to do that the squat style TGU. I have very little joint space and not much cartilage to spare. MUCH prefer being safe over the alternative.

One other knee-friendly version from Al Ciampa: https://youtu.be/sMjKuMd2GdY?t=12s (that's Frank in the video, not Al)

Note per the description, “requires maximum flexibility and stability in the hips and shoulders”…

I do this one without a kettlebell, but have not tried it loaded.

I have been doing the modified get up for several weeks now and will never go back.

The windshield wiper move was painful for my knee. I can only do it without pain if I'm on grass or a very soft surface.

I also use knee pads, even for the modified version. My floor is very hard and my knees are very sensitive.

Probably the only negative aspect of this version is that the part where you lift your torso from the ground to the 'lunge' position can be tricky. You can face diagonally like Lauren, straight forward like Jeff Sokol here, or to the side like Al Ciampa here. I find myself adjusting my feet and being careful because I lack groin/hip flexibility.

One other knee-friendly version from Al Ciampa: (that's Frank in the video, not Al)

Note per the description, “requires maximum flexibility and stability in the hips and shoulders”…

I do this one without a kettlebell, but have not tried it loaded.

Are there any other benefits to doing it this way other than a knee saver?

@aciampa

For those whose knees are bothered by the get up, a great alternative is doing just the half get up. half get ups would still provide a lot of benefits

I teach the standard version and this one.. many of my students who love the modified version feel like its love at first sight

This was one of two options that I learned at a user course, this one felt more natural to me.

Since I do my training outside I pretty much only do the modified Get Up myself. It was also shown,taught and approved to do during the SFG testing.

I GU like like this after Al showed me.

I really like planting the hand to 3 point before moving the forward leg, especially if the load is heavy (relative).

"Chewing gum optional"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom