all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Modifying S&S because of limited access to kettlebell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Prince.OG

Level 1 Valued Member
Long story short, I'm stuck with access to only one 48KG kettlebell. I've been doing S&S on and off for 6 months and can handle 32kg one-arm swings followed by 40kg TGUs.

I can do some sets of TGU with the 48 KG and swings they are what they are ... hard.

How can I modify the routine and still not lose the rhythm with this beast ?

Thanks,
Prince

you say you can manage some sets of TGUs with the 48 - great - do those - and for swings stick with 2H swings with the 48 for 10 sets of 10. I dont believe you are losing anything if you can manage 2 or 3 getups per side with the 48 - it's more demanding than doing 5 sets per side with the 32 and equally demanding as doing 5 per side with the 40. Getting back to 2H swings for a while until you can regain access to your 32 and 40, will not hurt your progress with one hand swings. If this doesn't feel like "enough" add a few suitcase carries per side and you will be sufficiently worked.

Just step back a little in the progressions. Swings are easy enough. The goal of S&S is 10 x 10 one handed in 5 minus, but you don't start there or stay there. If I remember right the progression starts at 5x5 2 handed with no timelimit. I'd suggest start there with the 48 and build up. With getups how about progress through partials. E.g if you can do 1 good get ups on both sides.
Sets R and L
1 - Up to elbow
2 - Up to sitting
3 - Full getup
4 - Up to sitting
5 - Up to elbow

If those jumps are too steep you can always progress with pauses.

Hope that helps.

Travis provides another rendition of what you could do which would be very beneficial - the key is to continue your practice - i have not used partials in my get up practice, but many on this forum recommend them and i cant see how they would be anything but helpful. Anytime spent under the 48 is time well spent, whether it be running through a full getup, or doing partials, it's a weight which catches your attention, so put it to use however you can.

Thanks guys this helps. I can do more than a couple full TGUs but like with the swings man this thing packs a punch. And chalk is my friend.

Prince

@Prince.OG your response to said predicament is inspiring.

How limited is your access? Just wondering if might be able to implement grease the groove.

I think Travis hit it on the head. For the get ups do whatever you can do: half get ups (to the hand), partials, and full get up. And for swings focus on two hand swings for a while until you can get comfortable with the 48kg, then start working in some sets of one handed swings. Best of luck

Thanks everyone. I've been keeping at it. Two-handed swings are easier now and I can actually manage a few one-handed swings. My forearms are becoming beastly. I can do 4 get-ups (2 sets each) after the swings. A few weeks ago I pushed myself hard and I dropped the thing on my chest. Thankfully I'm alive to write this. Don't try this at home.

Prince

Its been a while and I've been keeping at it with the 48 kg. Today I finally added a set of one-arm swings (5 and 5) after 9 sets of powerful two-arm swings. I still do only two get-ups per side after. Rest between all sets has significantly reduced. My forearms are beastly and grip vice like. Traps are growing werewolf style. I do two or three days of this modified S&S and do hard cals on the off days.

Also train fasted within a 16-hour non-eating window to help with the fat loss. Hypertrophy and endurance seem to be obvious gains from the fasted training.

Life is sweet.

Prince

P.S. Did I mention I finally bought a truck too !!! Diesel Dodge Ram 1500 !

Progressing. I can now do 4 sets of one-hand swings separated by two-handed ones for a total of ten. I still do a total of four get-ups (two each side) but feel that I can add two more sets. Total routine takes around 30 min including a modified cal-style warm-up.
I plan to add more one-hand swing sets during the swings.

Some key ingredients that seem to work for me:
- Same location for practice: a dingy man-cave.
- Chalk
- Black Coffee as a pre-workout drink.
- Creatine supplementation (I take 10g a day now) with milk (and some yogurt to help digest).
- Intermittent Fasting (look it up).
- A playlist that works. You can use mine: Simple & Sinister - YouTube

Stay Strong

Prince

Last edited:
16 Nov 2016

Thank God.

I finally did it. Today I did 10 sets of one-arm swings with the beast, followed by 10 sets of TGUs all with the beast. I completed the work out in under 30 min.

My next goal is to reduce the time to Sinister goals.

Prince

Last edited by a moderator:
16 Nov 2016

Thank God.

I finally did it. Today I did 10 sets of one-arm swings with the beast, followed by 10 sets of TGUs all with the beast. I completed the work out in under 30 min.

My next goal is to reduce the time to Sinister goals.

Prince

Congratulations! Quite an achievement!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom