all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Molecular Hydrogen Research and Applications to Exercise

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Denys Carthusian

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm certainly not going to pay the monthly fee (that's the amount I pay for my molecular hydrogen tablets) but here's the blurb
  • Molecular hydrogen (H2) or diatomic hydrogen is a tasteless, odorless, flammable gas
  • H2 reduces oxidative stress and improves redox homeostasis partly mediated via the Nrf2 pathway, which regulates levels of glutathione, superoxide dismutase, catalase, etc.
  • H2, like other gaseous-signaling molecules (e.g. NO, CO, H2S), modulates signal transduction, protein phosphorylation, and gene expression, which provides anti-inflammatory, anti-allergy, and anti-apoptotic protective effects
When I read "via the Nrf2 pathway" I pay very close attention.

To wit:

How does hydrogen gas provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-aging effects?

Molecular hydrogen was first reported in Nature Medicine to protect the brain during ischemia/reperfusion injury, and to selectively reduce cytotoxic oxygen radicals.6 Many animal and clinical studies have subsequently demonstrated that hydrogen gas administered via inhalation or drinking hydrogen water can attenuate markers of oxidative stress and improve antioxidant status. For example, in a small open label study of 20 patients with potential metabolic syndrome, subjects ingested 1.5-2 L of hydrogen water (≈0.6 mM) per day for 8 weeks.7 On average, besides improving cholesterol and glucose tolerance, the patients had a 43% decrease in the oxidative marker TBARS (thiobarbituric acid reactive substances) in the urine, and a 39% increase in the antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase.7 Similar benefits were also demonstrated in 16 healthy subjects in a randomized, double-blinded placebo controlled study.8 Drinking hydrogen water for 4 weeks decreased the oxidative marker malondialdehyde (MDA) by ≈26 %, p<0.001, increased superoxide dismutase, and the master antioxidant glutathione levels by 25.9% (p=0.003), and 10.1% (p=0.007), respectively.8

I have used hydrogen in drinking water for several months. Whether there were any benefits I can’t say. It may be that I was not a good candidate but perhaps it may help others. The supposed research that backs it up seemed quite narrow when I searched so I became suspicious that it may be possibly clever marketing tactics.

I have used hydrogen in drinking water for several months. Whether there were any benefits I can’t say. It may be that I was not a good candidate but perhaps it may help others. The supposed research that backs it up seemed quite narrow when I searched so I became suspicious that it may be possibly clever marketing tactics.
Given the horsepower on their board of advisors (Hydrogen research is extensive in Japan) I don't think its exactly a marketing winner. Rather it seems to be a very techy project, and they're attempting to bring the science down to a level that more earth bound practitioners can access. I think many people are looking for a burst of energy when, in fact, a ramp up on SOD and Glutathione will definitely help detox and recovery from inflammation but I think its going to be a longer term mitochondrial boost.

I'm certainly not going to pay the monthly fee (that's the amount I pay for my molecular hydrogen tablets) but here's the blurb
  • Molecular hydrogen (H2) or diatomic hydrogen is a tasteless, odorless, flammable gas
  • H2 reduces oxidative stress and improves redox homeostasis partly mediated via the Nrf2 pathway, which regulates levels of glutathione, superoxide dismutase, catalase, etc.
  • H2, like other gaseous-signaling molecules (e.g. NO, CO, H2S), modulates signal transduction, protein phosphorylation, and gene expression, which provides anti-inflammatory, anti-allergy, and anti-apoptotic protective effects
When I read "via the Nrf2 pathway" I pay very close attention.
Just started a mini heat-check with a tab a day for 30 days of the Mercola H2.

The supposed research that backs it up seemed quite narrow when I searched so I became suspicious that it may be possibly clever marketing tactics.
That is kind of the same thing I found as well. This meta review kind of indicates that the better the study design, the more unclear any benefits are. Hydrogen Water: Extra Healthy or a Hoax?—A Systematic Review

My guess is it will mature a bit and end up like fasting. Where early studies show promise, then as it matures the effects get smaller and then it turns out it was a confounding variable all along driving the benefits.

That is kind of the same thing I found as well. This meta review kind of indicates that the better the study design, the more unclear any benefits are. Hydrogen Water: Extra Healthy or a Hoax?—A Systematic Review

My guess is it will mature a bit and end up like fasting. Where early studies show promise, then as it matures the effects get smaller and then it turns out it was a confounding variable all along driving the benefits.

For those following along at home the Nrf2 pathway is the same pathway that MAH ozone therapy works through as well, which explains why hydrogen would upregulate glutathione like ozone does. The difference, in this case, is that administering the ozone via IV is considerably more expensive than dissolving hydrogen generating tablets in water and drinking it.

It would be wise to consider the idea of Hormesis in all of this, no? E.g., ingesting lots of things that fight free radicals can inhibit the body's own defense mechanisms against free radicals - this is my understanding, no science cited or claimed, but the concept makes sense to me. "You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die" is a traditional saying that, in my mind, runs along these same lines.

-S-

It would be wise to consider the idea of Hormesis in all of this, no? E.g., ingesting lots of things that fight free radicals can inhibit the body's own defense mechanisms against free radicals - this is my understanding, no science cited or claimed, but the concept makes sense to me. "You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die" is a traditional saying that, in my mind, runs along these same lines.

-S-
Agreed, exogenous vs endogenous is a thing.

-S-
True but there are many things which can be supplemented exogenously as aging occurs with demonstrably beneficial effects. The research on ozone and hydrogen gas, for example, shows the exact pathway by which anti oxidants are being boosted endogenously. You could supplement glutathione directly (iv, oral, liposomal, im) or do it indirectly by hydrogen gas. The mechanisms are different. Arguably, the hydrogen gas method is more cost effective and actually appears to have a mechanism by which it follows the rules of hormesis within the body (upregulating and downregulating simultaneously).

I also think that people are often underestimating how much the toxicity of daily life can respond to some form of exogenous supplementation.

Meanwhile, experience with the use of small, safe, physiologic dosages
of cortisone or cortisol in patients with ovarian dysfunction and infertility
revealed that patients with associated allergies, chronic fatigue or
autoimmune disorders also reported improvement in these conditions
while taking the steroid, without experiencing any undesirable side
effects. These results were published in a leading medical journal,2 !p1
the reputation of glucocorticoids had become so bad that they received
little attention. Subsequently, improved methods of diagnosis have enabled
the identification of mild degrees of adrenocortical deficiency, thus
providing an explanation for at least some of these beneficial effects

Those terms - I knew what you meant, mostly, but looked them up - seem to be common in economics, not so much in training/biology kinds of things. Is that right?

-S-
Exogenous and endogenous is very common in biology. Can’t say I hear much about it in training.

When talking about Ozone therapy it is wise to also consider its safety.

There is a reason the FDA banned it in 2016...
Then I and my family should be dead. The FDA has been behind the curve for 70 years and counting. And don't tell Dr. Robert Rowen that or he'll have to stop killing Africans suffering from Ebola.

True but there are many things which can be supplemented exogenously as aging occurs with demonstrably beneficial effects
No doubt there are benefits. E.g., a wheelchair would benefit my getting around with a sore hip but using the wheelchair would be to the detriment of my ability to walk, however beneficial to my mobility it would be.

-S-

No doubt there are benefits. E.g., a wheelchair would benefit my getting around with a sore hip but using the wheelchair would be to the detriment of my ability to walk, however beneficial to my mobility it would be.

-S-
The test is mitochondrial function. Mitochondrial health can be stabilized or improved via a variety of methods, particularly if there's been an acute insult to mitochondrial health and even in the cases of chronic.

Back
Top Bottom