all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Monkish training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
1) Increase your ability to create abdominal pressure. This is what supports your back. OAOL Push Up (pistols secondarily) correctly done will do that. Hollow body hold is a good auxiliary exercise for this (i.e. to teach you abdominal pressure).
2)I don’t see the need. If there are heavy rocks, tree logs etc., then use those for unconventional deadlifts (think strong man competition).
3) No carryover effect, but regular a few regular push ups and bodyweight squats can be a good warm up.
4) Horizontal rows are very good exercise. But I don’t think you have to be good at them before doing pull ups.

Note: High reps of squats might even be detrimental to long static sitting periods. Focusing on the skill aspect of OAOL push ups, pistol squats and pull ups is probably what you want, and that is what the Naked Warrior focuses on. If Grease the Groove isn't possible, I would suggest ladders up 1-5 with a max of 5 rungs on each. If it was me, I would keep it as simple as possible, 3 exercises (OAOL push up, pistol squat and pull ups), with perhaps a few auxiliary exercises and stretches. I also don't think, that you NEED deadlifts to have a strong back.

Best of luck in your training as a monk and in getting stronger. Very glad to see, that a monk is interested in strength training.

Hello,

Really, @pet'? I could certainly try that. It could be good for my hip rotation as well; right hip here hates to turn outwards, and I can't cross legs for now.
Yes. For instance, I have bands with 90kg of resistance. Some others with 40 and 20. With a stick, you can hit some traditional deadlift. Without the stick, it mimics trap bar deadlift. Here you have different variations with almost the same tool.

Regarding the balancing of inv. row / push up, etc... It can become difficult to schedule if you have to do everything on a GTG base. Basically, it would be push up + row + pistol [+pull up]. Like you, I enjoy working with pairs of agonist / antagonist to be sure I do not have muscle imbalances. However, I tried using this balancing approach for a while. To be honest, I did not notice a huge difference. I guess the difference can be seen on the very haul. But I trust @Steve Freides 's experience ! Full tension, done with strictness and a total mind-muscle focus may be enough.

Related to the ab programming, I remember a thread where we said that 2 to 3 sessions a week may be enough : Hanging Leg Raises, Janda Sit Ups, or as already mentioned, Dragon Flags.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' thanks for the idea of the bands. I travel a lot and I might consider buying some and taking them with me

Hello,

@Oscar
Plenty of options can be considered: DL, SLDL, pistol, press, etc... Even row and bench (both horizontal) be done if it is possible to use a fixed point

Kind regards,

Pet'

you can get a strong back with bodyweight for sure. Take a look at this thread, and @305pelusa only trains calisthenics. He deadlifted 2.3 times BW not having touched a bar.

PL 1RM Max Estimates from Calisthenics

I dont know how he got there though...

For upper back (traps, rhomboids, scapula, etc.) progressive Pullup exercises.
For the middle back (lats), the Front Lever progressions.
For lower back and glutes, press Handstand progressions. First from a Headstand, then elevating the head to increase the ROM, and eventually from a handstand. Use back to wall if you can't balance well.

Personally, I think that's more than enough to build a strong back that can withstand quite literally any activity you want to do. If you desire an even stronger back for personal reasons (because you want to DL 3 times your BW or whatever personal goals you have) then you'll probably need weights. Until then, BW can do the trick. It's just more complicated I guess haha.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom