all posts post new thread

Old Forum More Kettlebell Muscle Q's

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

WallyJ

First Post
First post here, so I apologize if this has been answered.

Questions for everyone who's using MKM...

Some of the programs have a prescribed weight to use while others don't.  For the programs that do prescribe a weight, they all seem to be higher range RM's and you do sets of half your RM (For example, use a 10RM and do sets of 5 reps).  Is that the general guideline to follow for choosing weight for the programs that don't prescribe a RM (So a 10-12RM for sets of 6 reps)?

On program design, Geoff mentions 4 different rep schemes and their uses.  Has anyone tried using a lower rep scheme (for more of a strength focus) with one of the programs that originally prescribes higher reps?  I'm quite sure the programs have the rep schemes that they do for a good reason.  I wasn't sure if that bit of info on rep schemes was meant to explain why the programs use the reps they do, OR if it was to get us experimenting with the programs using different rep schemes.

Thanks!

Short answer to "Has anyone tried using a lower rep scheme (for more of a strength focus) with one of the programs that originally prescribes higher reps."  Yes. To great avail.

Long answer:

I did "Upper Back Attack" for a while.  I should have done the whole program with 16's but I jumped in with 20's because I didn't want to buy another bell. I wasn't able to complete even one full complex on the light day during my first session.

If you understand the principles you can find your own method.  Instead of buying another lighter bell I worked the bells I had consistently until I was able to do the prescribed numbers from the last week in the program.  I didn't follow Geoff's programing at all on it (until I could), but I found my way to the end.  Physique change? I didn't get what I probably would have if I had worked the full volume of the program with lighter bells (my curve spiked hard near the end as I rapidly got stronger).  Performance change?  It set the stage for my SFG prep and months later I'm confident I could do the program with 24's now.

If you understand the principles you can fill in the blanks yourself as I did.  I started with sets of 3 and sometimes had to do see-saw presses rather than military press.

I say go for it, at worst you'll learn something.  Proven programs are proven, but they all started as a principle driven idea.  If the principles line up you won't see any of the "AHHHHH!!!! If you're implementing GTG programing into your training/you skipped those weird-basketball-squat-things then you aren't doing Convict Conditioning!" nonsense here.

Keep us posted, while I like other programs for strength it did a great job in keeping me working multiple sets of 3-5 reps in 3-5 lifts set up as complexes.

P.s. I am a huge advocate of following the training recipe through the first time before making changes.  If you know that what you'll be doing differently works you'd be better off.  3 years ago I wrote myself a program that involved Viking Warrior Conditioning, Delorme Deadlifts, RoP Presses and GTG calisthenics.  Couldn't even finish one week of it because I couldn't keep track of it all.

If you're taking a great program and changing one thing for a very sound reason I think you'll make great strides.

If you want to go heavier, use chains vs. complexes.   I'm pulling this out of the archives because, I purchased this 2 weeks ago and it is some of the nastiest toughest kettlebell stuff I've ever done.  Do the workouts as described and my biggest recommendation, GO LIGHTER!   Sure you can do sets of 5 with the double snatch with 24's, but can you do them in the middle of a complex after Front Squats?

I had to put the ego away and use 20's for the long haul.  I did week 2 heavy day today.  Brutal. Your grip is a little tired from doing cleans,  holding the bells in the rack while squatting will fatigue your press then your grip and shoulders are tired while doing the double snatch.  And finally you finish with a double swing which fries your grip, traps and hamstrings.  4 rounds, good times.  Heart rate 200/minute after first round.

Which program is the best?
3 best?? :)

For fatloos and build muscle?

Taro,

There is no "best" program.

They're all GREAT.

How do you know which one is best for you?

Look at the one that targets your weak areas - the ones you are weak in - then do those.

Hope that helps.

Geoff rightness!

Badly asked question!
Which three programs are yours favourite?

Currently I am doing Moving Target, because I could not decide :)

My goals are:

- lean body

- muscle

- flat stomach - this is #1!!

A ranking of complexes interests me :)

Looking at finally running some programs from MKBM in the next few months.

What are everyone's favorites or experience with them?

Looking through it the ones that interest me the most are-

The Shoulder Smoker

Clean 'em up

The Up and Over

Anyone try any of those ones out?

I know the Wolf was popular here...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom