all posts post new thread

Old Forum Most Effective Workout

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BGriffin

Level 1 Valued Member
Which of these is the most effective?-- Simple and Sinister-- Total Tension Complex-- Moving Target Complex--   Please state reasons

Short answer: The one you are going to do.

Simple and sinister is a great goto whenever, it is "easy" in a sort of way. You show up, you do your reps, you go home. Any weight will give you results.

Total Tension Complex is a (please excuse my language) hardcore musclebuilding holy s*** short program. It is 6 weeks of intense training, it sucks. It will deliver incredible results. I would prefer if someone use "heavy" bells for this one. I absolutly hate (in a good way) TTC.

Moving Target is next on my list after a month or two of low reps. Have no comment on that one yet.

Was a bit fast on the "Submit" button.

S&S would be more of a park bench-program.
TTC would be more of a bus bench-program.

If you have never heard of park/bus-bench: http://danjohn.net/spirituality-and-the-athlete/ Oh and read everything else he has on his page as well, and buy his books ;)

Thanks that is a good read.  I have read many of his ideas.  Do you think you can do the Total Tension Complex along with S & S.  I have done both of these at different times.  My problem is that I skip around too much because I get bored with same routine and feel like I am missing out on some other exercise.  I really don't like the hit and miss concept though.

Sorry - hit submit button to soon plus typo

boredom is a huge problem for me as well

the 'tough s***' comment inspired me to focus on

S&S and it has paid off

john the savage comment about the 'the one you will actually do'

is righteous

Would certainly echo Joel's comments regarding the programs. I came off a Geoff Neupert program to lean out and it was intense. I am midway through TTC and it's really tough but effective, it will certainly build muscle. With myself my shoulders, arms are just "thicker" in a sort of Popeye way. I use my warm up to grease the groove on movements not included in TTC but which are fundamental movements.

S and S fits really well if you are doing other activities though with the heavier weights it will still give you results. Don't be fooled by its simplicity

Either way two great programs, but you will need to see them through.

I suffered in the past from programme hopping, which I attribute to my men's health subscription. Its only when I began to stick with the programme I saw results.

gd luck

I have not done it yet... This though i what i am thinking:
I present...

"the plan"

One session. X is number of steps (2,3,5) do complex 1 before complex 2.
1 clean - x press - 1 front squat
1 clean - 1 press - x front squat
X clean - 1 press - 1 front squat

3 days a week.
Below is specified in Number of "rounds".  do one round of ALL of the complexes:
I.e.  complex1, all steps on the ladders before next complex. -> complex2 (all steps in the ladder -> complex 3 -> c1 -> c2 -> c3
Keep tempo low on first step up in volume, just get the reps in. Then try to compress time.
W1: 1,1,2
W2: 1,2,2
W3: 2,2,2
W4: 2,2,3
W5: 2,3,3
W6: 3,3,3

Or

After tis the plan can begin again with 3,5,7 before next sized bell and/or low volume.

Which of these is the most effective?– Simple and Sinister– Total Tension Complex– Moving Target Complex–   Please state reasons
Well do you like apples or oranges? You can't just ask which is most effective. You must specify a goal. Like strength, conditioning, fat loss, muscle building, etc. Then you will probably need to further specify goals within your chosen category. Strength: I want to press a XXkg kettlbell.

Also consider your technique, strength, and conditioning levels. Are you ready for a really hard bus bench program like TTC? Can you really stick to it and finish it the way it is meant to be? If not pick something else.

Also there is nothing wrong with doing a program which doesn't have "everything" in it, especially if you are focusing on bringing up your weaknesses. Do the program. Get the results then go back to a more balanced program. It's all good. I neglected my squat for a long time, but had worked up to a double body weight deadlift. Kind of imbalanced. So I did a bus bench squat program. I have a stronger squat and now that I am adding DL back in, I'm only 5 kg away from 2x BW and I weigh 10kg more.

Pick one. Do it. Then decide if you want to mix and match elements of programs. We usually have no business doing it before.

re; Boredom--I realized recently that in reference to Dan Johns Bus Bench/Park Bench forget about Bus Bench for me, I have a "motocross mind"! Every type of training I have ever done I think I have subtly sabotaged by doing a bit too much, adding things in, etc. When I realized that, S&S, already seeming quite compelling really hooked me. Got the book and just read it through for 1st time and have made hard commitment to do the program exactly as written, no adding or stacking sets for speed etc. 6 months, a year, at least. I do think it will be good medicine for my mind as much as for my body.

"My problem is that I skip around too much because I get bored with same routine and feel like I am missing out on some other exercise."

I agree that is a problem.  A BIG problem.  Unfortunately, that is the sort of problem that will have you spinning your wheels for as long as you chase "shiny objects."  Pick a good program and do that good program.  If you modify that program then you are no longer on that program and can only blame yourself if you don't get the results.  I will not tweak a Pavel, Dan John, Al Ciampa, etc. program because those guys have put in the thousands of hours of work that it takes to be able to put together a simple and effective program.  I have not spent that time in the trenches, thus any tweak that I dream up has already been thought of and dismissed by the expert who wrote the program.  So, stick with the program for the prescribed time period.  Then, ask the expert(s) what would be a good follow on program.  This forum is loaded with experts who love to help people.

Case in point, Simple & Sinister.

My training partner, Anna Cannington, did S & S for several months, as she has documented in this forum.  Anna now does 5 Get Ups each side with a 32kg bell.  Anna is in her 40's, 5'8" tall and 158 lbs.  She is strong.  She is strong because she did the work, didn't get distracted, stuck with the program, and reaped enormous benefits.

Just pick a program, stick with it religiously and to the letter, and be patient.  Very good things will happen.

^John, nice.  There's a subtle art of knowing what you're honestly able to commit to -- in my case a nucleus of swings and barefoot jogging.  And dang, Anna is strong!

Buddy, your query; " Do you think you can do the Total Tension Complex along with S & S" is a question i asked on this forum a while back. It would seem to depend on where you are in your progress along the S&S journey. Pavel's response was to me was to focus on S&S until you have achieved the Simple goal.

John is right. Pick a program. Trust the program. Stick with the program. Be patient. Enjoy the results. As Pavel says, "when a man shows 32kgs who is boss he changes dramatically".

Respect to Anna - that's impressive 8o)

Most "effective" depends on what "effect" you want to achieve.

-S-

Going on 3 weeks of S & S (6 days per week) and I am I hooked!  Believe everything that is said about this workout.  I look forward to each day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom