all posts post new thread

Move Well for Good

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mike Whitenton

Level 4 Valued Member
Move Well for Good Training Log Introduction

Background

Way back when (about 10 years ago), I ran ultramarathons. I had a blast but life stress and training stress became too much and about that same time I stumbled upon StrongFirst and kettlebells. I reached timed Simple and stalled out at 40kg (again, life stress). Since then I've bounced around between Crossfit, old school S&C, and StrongFirst. After getting back into running last year, a major surgery set me back about a month. I could tell I had a lot of strength deficiencies and so I've returned to the Simple and the Sinister.

Current Program
I'm running S&S 2.0. I'm stay with two handed swings at the moment because should and spine rotation issues. My get up is lagging behind my swings a bit. I own 24kg for GUs, but 32kg for swings. I recently played around with the beast and was surprised that, with 3 min rests, I can get between 8 to 10 sets of 10 before my form or power breaks down. I'm thinking I should start incorporating the 40kg into the 32kg practice and work on power, but I'd welcome feedback on that. It does feel glorious to swing the beast...

Goals
I'm turning 39 in a few days (March 17). I'm a professor, who's married with two kids (4.5 and 6.5). I'm looking to be strong enough to be useful in pretty much any plausible scenario with endurance to match. I'm currently at 194 lbs and around 13% body fat at 5 ft. 11 in. I'd like to see both of those numbers drop a bit, but as long as I'm strong and conditioned and can move well, I'm a happy camper. Or I'm trying to be.

So I'll be posting my training here and welcome feedback, encouragement, critique in programming, etc.

Happy to be here!
Mike

My recovery score: 4.5/10

Goblet squats:

• 24kg x 5 (prying)
  • 32kg x 5
  • 48kg x 5
Swings: Timeless Sinister
  • 10x10 2-handed over-speed swings with 48kg
Get-ups
  • Cut for time. Will do them tomorrow.
Afterward, I felt: Awesome

Time: 39 minutes

Kettlebells Strongfirst (A+A 2H Swings... sets of 5 reps, EMOM style, until I fail the talk test or 30 minutes, whichever comes first)

Goblet Squats: 3x5

16kg (prying)
40kg
40kg

Swings (2 handed over-speed)
40kg at 5 reps x30 OTM.

Felt strong. Passed the talk test each time. Woohoo!

Playing catch up on logging here. Training has been steady. I need to get back to get ups, but the heavy swings are eliciting a noticeable and non-draining response as it is.

42DAC14C-D89E-454F-9FDD-7B62E6CE8298.png

4707792B-D964-4188-AD9F-BCE204C36A65.png
FBE84D39-0D15-4E70-8BA3-ADB1C921A3A7.png

Kettlebells Strongfirst (A+A 2H Swings... sets of 5 reps, EMOM style, until I fail the talk test or 30 minutes, whichever comes first)

Goblet Squats: 3x5

16kg (prying)
40kg
40kg

Swings (2 handed over-speed)
40kg at 5 reps x30 OTM.

Felt strong. Passed the talk test each time. Woohoo!
Not criticizing just asking, cuz I’ve heard people had different versions of the manual. But, isn’t it supposed to be terminated at 20 minutes?

@LarryB the A+A gets longer as you go through the progression. Once you’re past the basic to intermediate stage you’re supposed to move to sets from 30 to 60 minutes over the course of a year.

@LarryB the A+A gets longer as you go through the progression. Once you’re past the basic to intermediate stage you’re supposed to move to sets from 30 to 60 minutes over the course of a year.
That’s what i was thinking after, is that it must be the B program. I forgot about that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom