all posts post new thread

Old Forum moving up in S&S and swing time.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NJRick

Level 3 Valued Member
question for those of you moving to a heavier bell in S&S

When you add in 1L 1R with your heavy bell, do you make sure you can compress the 100 swings into 5 minutes before adding another 10L 10R with your heavy bell?  Or do you space the time out until you get the 10 sets with the heavy bell and then compress rest periods?

Thank you for your input

You should only time yourself when you feel you can meet the 5 min.  Otherwise, work in additional reps when you feel your body can handle them appropriately with good form.
Once you are doing all the reps with the heavy bell, then start to reduce your rest time until you can do it within the prescribed 5 min.

For me personally, when I start adding in a new bell, I completely ignore the time and go by how strong it feels.  Then when I'm doing all sets with the new bell I pay a little more attention to how the time starts coming down.

I think the other way could work fine, too.  I just prefer to not always be on the clock.

I find that the time takes care of itself - I very rarely time - I just know that as my conditioning improves, due to continued practice, that the time between sets naturally shortens, and when that time between sets is about 2 0r 3 breaths, roughly 10-12seconds, then I am coming in around 5 minutes.  I would say that in order of importance, time is probably the least important place to focus - I recognize that Pavel set forth time objectives, but note that throughout S&S - and all of his books - that practicing proper technique under increasingly greater load is the primary path toward improvement.

I would say that in order of importance, time is probably the least important place to focus – I recognize that Pavel set forth time objectives, but note that throughout S&S – and all of his books – that practicing proper technique under increasingly greater load is the primary path toward improvement.

Very well said, Marchese.  Like you, I don't focus on time very much.  But still, having thoughts like this fresh in my mind is excellent.  Thanks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom