all posts post new thread

Nutrition Multiplying grains and washing grains

Garoolgan

First Post
Hopefully this is the place to post two questions from a new Kefir user;-

A week ago I received a small jar containing grains of milk Kefir in a little milk, I suppose about 10cl in total which I poured into my larger "Kefirco" jar to which I added about 20cl of fresh milk and put the jar on a shelf for the night.

The next morning, after filtering the grains using the built in filter/lid on my "Kefirco" jar, I drank my first glass of Kefir and replenished the jar with milk to about the 30cl level before putting it on a shelf in the kitchen for the next morning. I stir the Kefir gently about twice during the day.

The grains that I've noticed so far in my jar seem to be like tiny worms with some lumps, not the cauliflower type that I've seen photos of on-line. As I haven't tried to wash the grains it is difficult to see what they really look like.

Question 1 >>> After doing this for a week I'm wondering how to know when there are too may grains in my jar ? I have been told that the grains multiply.

Question 2 >>> I've read several people's discussions relating how they wash the grains in a filter before reusing them, but this doesn't seem necessary ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the time and knowledge to reply to my questions.

Garoolgan

Back
Top Bottom