all posts post new thread

Barbell My cousin has lost his mind

Hmmmm

Level 1 Valued Member
Cousin sent me this on whatsapp. The brackets where not added by me. He put them in. Everything in the quotation marks is his:

"Find out lifts 2 rep max
10 ten days(eddie hall says you take ten days to recover from a max deadlift and even any heavy deadlift. Plus tom platz would do his leg day once every 2 weeks. By the way I know they take steroids) after u performed the test Amrap the 2 rep max and then do assistance
Every ten days amrap the 2 rep max weight and do assistance until you plateau or hit 6 reps. I heard marty gallagher said that you will know if you can't finish the next rep
Then just like do the same thing with a 3 rep max weight. Eventually you'll repeat the process until you get to 5 rep max. Then go back to 2 rep max. Maybe your body will not be having it and you'll need to change your exercise variation(unlikely- not sure since i know nothing about training)
Note: dont do 1 rep max because you may be able to hit that 1 rep on a good day and then the next ten days you may miss the rep- i think that's how it works. But then again i remember andy bolton saying he would be slightly undertrained when he competed to perform well. So you may be able to do 1 rep max if you just recover plenty(the 10 days)
heres the plan:
Day 1- squat day aka leg day: squat(strength), squat back off(one set. Ima do some dorian yates. Maybe too tiring due to strength work so i may go nearly beyond absolute failure- like near to what dorian yates goes to), pull up(strength- maybe should do on day 5 but would it do some active recovery for my back day or something. Wouldnt it interfere on day 5 too.)
Day 3- bench day aka chest shoulder tricep day: bench(strength), bench press back off(one set. Maybe too tiring so may go nearly beyond absolute failure- like near to what dorian yates goes to)
Day 5- deadlift day aka back bicep day: deadlift(strength), deadlift back off set(maybe too tiring so may go nearly beyond absolute failure- like near what dorian goes to)

Note: i cant do a singular pull up. So pull up thing can wait"

So he send me this. He says he's going to try and experiment
I also(like my cousin) know nothing about training. I just follow programs and dont write them. Too scared. But would it work though.

I can see it working if rest was taken and adjustments where made so i have come here so he goes through less experimentation.

Im posting this on here to check if you approve of this and make adjustments or dissprove and explain to me why it is bad.

My cousin also wants to spend the ABSOLUTE LEAST time in the gym but says he wants to be strong and capable and healthy. Hes always stressed out because of work. He says a strong body is a strong mind to me.

Also factor in that my cousins cardio consists of sparring with friends and family(not even proper skill training. Just random MMA sparring). He'll do a little like 3-4 times a week.

I know theres some consolidation stuff where like for example you start a cycle off light and then slowly progress to where its heavy(i dont understand this at all. Explain some consolidation stuff while youre replying). No idea how it works. Does that make what hes doing is useless. I do remember westside had a method where you would train max out on a single(think it was specifically a single) once a week but to not burn out you would change the exercise

I said maybe he should add more sets to his hypertrophy work but he replies saying that muscle damage is muscle damage and that the muscle damage can be achieved in on set and that everyone does more than one set and gets good results and nothing wrong with that but for time efficiency he said he wants to do 1 set

He still is unsure about how hard he should go on that one back off set of assistance. He doesnt wether to go to failure or a little beyond. He says 5-30 reps is hypertrophy so on the days where he does 5 reps or 6 reps he says he should do a little less assisstance due to the more muscle damage caused due to the strength work being muscle building

He also doesnt know wether 10 days is enough. Like eddie hall may have said you take 10 ten days to revover from a max deadlift or any heavy deadlift but that doesn't account for the squat, pull up and benching hes doing(or maybe I'm wrong for this)

He also hasnt even started this program. He has no experience. He's literally a newbie 16 year old who just started doing cardio for a week. How does a 16 year old have no time- he studies and in that spare block he trying to do some business stuff i dont know.

Since he is a newbie, his recovery would be faster so please advise factoring this in

Also, where should he put his pull ups in his day 5 back day or his day 1 leg day.( He cant even do a pull up but for future stuff)

Please answer all the questions. These questions below may not even be good enough and above there may be an indication of where my cousin is confused and needs help wiht so please help with this

So, what adjustments coul you make to his:

. How long should he rest between and please mention if youre factoring in cardio or not. Like he'll just be sparring for a bit. He wont go over anaerobic threshold but he'll just fight and then stop just before he goes over so lactic acid wont be taking away his revovery.( also even after he gets out of the newbie stage)

. How hard he should go on his assitance( also even after he gets out the newbie. And when hes doing 5 and 6 reps for strength)

. Where he should put his pull ups( he cant even do one but for future stuff. Also even after he gets out of newbie stage.

. How long would he be able to stay on 2 rep max, then 3 rep max, then 4 rep max, then 5 rep max before switching exercises. Would he need to. Or should he just experiment

. Should he do it with a 1 rep max- he technically should if he receives a good amount of rest(also even after he gets out the newbie stage)

. Also, explain that consolidation stuff to me. Like how people start cycles easy and then they slower get hard. Like, why not train hard- i know there is a good reasin for this. I follow programs where their is slow progressions. But in westside though they have the max effort effort method where they do a MAX single(i think its a single) every week and to recover they switch the exercise. In there i see no consolidation. Or maybe something bad happens to you when you dont do something once a week- find that highly unlikley but i do find it perculiar that tom platz is the only person to do something less often than weekly.

I'm not an expert, but I think he should start with a basic program like:

Day 1

squats
bench
row

Day 2

deadlift
overhead press
pull-downs

Start with lighter weights (form is more important than weights because his body isn't going to know how to move properly under load and you need to teach it).

Do them on Monday/Wednesday/Friday, 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps (3-5 reps on deadlift), just focus on adding reps and learning the form. Once you've got the form down, he can start gong heavy and working out in the 3-6 rep range. He can also start adding an assistance exercise or two.

You are kind of all over the place.

However, one of my favorite powerlifters of all time, Lamar Gant, ran a basic three-day program with a progressive overload. What your cousin is throwing out there is too complicated to deal with.

Cousin sent me this on whatsapp. The brackets where not added by me. He put them in. Everything in the quotation marks is his:

10 ten days(eddie hall says you take ten days to recover from a max deadlift and even any heavy deadlift. Plus tom platz would do his leg day once every 2 weeks. By the way I know they take steroids) after u performed the test Amrap the 2 rep max and then do assistance
Every ten days amrap the 2 rep max weight and do assistance until you plateau or hit 6 reps. I heard marty gallagher said that you will know if you can't finish the next rep
Then just like do the same thing with a 3 rep max weight. Eventually you'll repeat the process until you get to 5 rep max. Then go back to 2 rep max. Maybe your body will not be having it and you'll need to change your exercise variation(unlikely- not sure since i know nothing about training)
Note: dont do 1 rep max because you may be able to hit that 1 rep on a good day and then the next ten days you may miss the rep- i think that's how it works. But then again i remember andy bolton saying he would be slightly undertrained when he competed to perform well. So you may be able to do 1 rep max if you just recover plenty(the 10 days)
heres the plan:
Day 1- squat day aka leg day: squat(strength), squat back off(one set. Ima do some dorian yates. Maybe too tiring due to strength work so i may go nearly beyond absolute failure- like near to what dorian yates goes to), pull up(strength- maybe should do on day 5 but would it do some active recovery for my back day or something. Wouldnt it interfere on day 5 too.)
Day 3- bench day aka chest shoulder tricep day: bench(strength), bench press back off(one set. Maybe too tiring so may go nearly beyond absolute failure- like near to what dorian yates goes to)
Day 5- deadlift day aka back bicep day: deadlift(strength), deadlift back off set(maybe too tiring so may go nearly beyond absolute failure- like near what dorian goes to)

I also(like my cousin) know nothing about training. I just follow programs and dont write them. Too scared. But would it work though.

I can see it working if rest was taken and adjustments where made so i have come here so he goes through less experimentation.

Im posting this on here to check if you approve of this and make adjustments or dissprove and explain to me why it is bad.

My cousin also wants to spend the ABSOLUTE LEAST time in the gym but says he wants to be strong and capable and healthy. Hes always stressed out because of work. He says a strong body is a strong mind to me.

Also factor in that my cousins cardio consists of sparring with friends and family(not even proper skill training. Just random MMA sparring). He'll do a little like 3-4 times a week.

I know theres some consolidation stuff where like for example you start a cycle off light and then slowly progress to where its heavy(i dont understand this at all. Explain some consolidation stuff while youre replying). No idea how it works. Does that make what hes doing is useless. I do remember westside had a method where you would train max out on a single(think it was specifically a single) once a week but to not burn out you would change the exercise

I said maybe he should add more sets to his hypertrophy work but he replies saying that muscle damage is muscle damage and that the muscle damage can be achieved in on set and that everyone does more than one set and gets good results and nothing wrong with that but for time efficiency he said he wants to do 1 set

He still is unsure about how hard he should go on that one back off set of assistance. He doesnt wether to go to failure or a little beyond. He says 5-30 reps is hypertrophy so on the days where he does 5 reps or 6 reps he says he should do a little less assisstance due to the more muscle damage caused due to the strength work being muscle building

He also doesnt know wether 10 days is enough. Like eddie hall may have said you take 10 ten days to revover from a max deadlift or any heavy deadlift but that doesn't account for the squat, pull up and benching hes doing(or maybe I'm wrong for this)

He also hasnt even started this program. He has no experience. He's literally a newbie 16 year old who just started doing cardio for a week. How does a 16 year old have no time- he studies and in that spare block he trying to do some business stuff i dont know.

Since he is a newbie, his recovery would be faster so please advise factoring this in

Also, where should he put his pull ups in his day 5 back day or his day 1 leg day.( He cant even do a pull up but for future stuff)

Please answer all the questions. These questions below may not even be good enough and above there may be an indication of where my cousin is confused and needs help wiht so please help with this

. How long should he rest between and please mention if youre factoring in cardio or not. Like he'll just be sparring for a bit. He wont go over anaerobic threshold but he'll just fight and then stop just before he goes over so lactic acid wont be taking away his revovery.( also even after he gets out of the newbie stage)

. How hard he should go on his assitance( also even after he gets out the newbie. And when hes doing 5 and 6 reps for strength)

. Where he should put his pull ups( he cant even do one but for future stuff. Also even after he gets out of newbie stage.

. How long would he be able to stay on 2 rep max, then 3 rep max, then 4 rep max, then 5 rep max before switching exercises. Would he need to. Or should he just experiment

. Should he do it with a 1 rep max- he technically should if he receives a good amount of rest(also even after he gets out the newbie stage)

. Also, explain that consolidation stuff to me. Like how people start cycles easy and then they slower get hard. Like, why not train hard- i know there is a good reasin for this. I follow programs where their is slow progressions. But in westside though they have the max effort effort method where they do a MAX single(i think its a single) every week and to recover they switch the exercise. In there i see no consolidation. Or maybe something bad happens to you when you dont do something once a week- find that highly unlikley but i do find it perculiar that tom platz is the only person to do something less often than weekly.
Is he asking you for help? If not, don't bother.

That program is ... A mess.

I'd highly recommend a much simpler program for a beginner. An example: simple novice linear progression.

heres the plan:

What the....?

Absolute word salad as a program.

Run away.

I believe this was the extremely complicated Powerlifting Program from one of Dan John's podcasts: Bench, Squat, Deadlift 3x3 MWF. If he is recovering fine, add 1-2 more workout days. Maybe add in some chin ups and carries. The goal is to get great at those 3 lifts.

Or if that just seems too simple this one always causes serious debate:

Could also do 531. This is my favourite version: The Jim Wendler 5/3/1 Triumvirate Template | The Ultimate Guide! – Rebel Celebrity

Last edited:
My cousin also wants to spend the ABSOLUTE LEAST time in the gym but says he wants to be strong and capable and healthy.
Well, IF he is open for new ideas:

PTTP
* PTTP as a minimalist strength plan (Deadlift + Press, 10 lifts per day)
* Additional Curls and Triceps Extensions if he wants them

Built Strong Minimalist might be an option.

Tactical Barbell has a lot of fitting plans and maybe seems authorative enough for him to follow it :)

And this:
I believe this was the extremely complicated Powerlifting Program from one of Dan John's podcasts: Bench, Squat, Deadlift 3x3 MWF. If he is recovering fine, add 1-2 more workout days. Maybe add in some chin ups and carries. The goal is to get great at those 3 lifts.
Love this!

How does consolidation of gains work though. I still have no idea.

Also, he literally all he plans to do is the squat, bench, deadlift and pull up to get strong

He says he doesn't care about specific heads like some people. He says ufc fighters and other athletes dont care so he shouldn't. But he still wants hypertrophy as you can see when he tries to do back off sets for assistance

How does consolidation of gains work though. I still have no idea.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. What I think you mean is that over time a given weight becomes easier/able to do it for more weight. This is a key behind the idea of step loading and base building. But there is also a "consolidation" that HIT people talk about and I'm not a HIT Jedi so I'm not going to try and explain that.
Also, he literally all he plans to do is the squat, bench, deadlift and pull up to get strong

He says he doesn't care about specific heads like some people. He says ufc fighters and other athletes dont care so he shouldn't. But he still wants hypertrophy as you can see when he tries to do back off sets for assistance
Sounds good. Nothing wrong here. His set up is overly convoluted and complex but this basic idea of squat/bench/deadlift/pull-up to get strong is find. Back offs are great for building strength and for contributing to hypertrophy. His set up is not great. But hey, if you (or he) want to squat on Monday, bench on Wednesday, and Deadlift on Friday and do pull-ups all three days - its not a bad start.

As a former teenager who tried to copy insane bodybuilder programs (like others on the forum, I am sure) I recommend you try to explain to your newbie cousin that, being new to training, he should train like he is new to training. He will probably see better results doing shorter session more often than doing as much as possible every so often. When people are newer to training, a lot of them tend to overestimate their recovery abilities and/or underestimate how sore they will be.

I get it though. I was a teenager who thought I would just do as much as possible and magically look like a famous bodybuilder. It didn't work. Advise him to find a proper beginner's program and go from there.

Plenty of people have done this. It's pretty standard. There are also a lot of beginner friendly programs that use those lifts.

At 16 years old, that's a great age to be part of a team. Find a sport where you can practice with others, get hands on training from a coach, and have fun.
No reason to have to go it alone, learning from books and/or Internet.

Really you should be finding a beginner friendly proven program. Let him learn KB skills and start S&S. S&S journey teaches a lot about training.

He seem to be confusing himself w a lot of advanced tips programs.

Advanced does not mean better. If you are a beginner and try to follow Tom Platz or Edie Hall programs you will only lose time and energy spinning your wheels.

Btw, he already is very confused. He is an MMA practitioner but gets programming cues from elite body builder and a power lifter who probably used those whatever advices they give during their elite years.

Last edited:
Really you should be finding a beginner friendly proven program. Let him learn KB skills and start S&S. S&S journey teaches a lot about training.

He seem to be confusing himself w a lot of advanced tips programs.

Advanced does not mean better. If you are a beginner and try to follow Tom Platz or Edie Hall programs you will only lose time and energy spinning your wheels.

Btw, he already is very confused. He is an MMA practitioner but gets programming cues from elite body builder and a power lifter who probably used those whatever advices they give during their elite years.
Hey Ege, totally get the excitement for a barbell, but let's build strong foundations first! S&S with some KBs is a fantastic journey that'll teach you tons about training before diving into advanced programs. Remember, beginner-friendly doesn't mean less effective, it's the perfect launchpad. Focus on mastering the basics, your MMA will thank you later! Sending love and support for your fitness journey! Thanks

Hey Ege, totally get the excitement for a barbell, but let's build strong foundations first! S&S with some KBs is a fantastic journey that'll teach you tons about training before diving into advanced programs. Remember, beginner-friendly doesn't mean less effective, it's the perfect launchpad. Focus on mastering the basics, your MMA will thank you later! Sending love and support for your fitness journey! Thanks
Thanks :) however I am not the person who asked the question :)

What the....?

Absolute word salad as a program.

Run away.
My feelings, too.

@Hmmmm, I wouldn't give any specific advice on programming except to say, "Find resources for technique and follow a proven program." He could work with a trainer and/or read some of Pavel's books.

-S-

Good grief that read like someone strung out on meth. I think your cousin might need more than help with a workout program.

He’s sixteen, my workout program and I would guess the majority of sixteen year old workout programs were equally dumb.

Trying to dunk on a sixteen year old on the anonymity of an Internet forum is just bad taste.

Back
Top Bottom