all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance My Experiments with 033

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
My personal take-away from the Strong Endurance weekend - protocol 033 rocks. I like it because I feel it can be applied to a wide variety of exercises and still not detract from other training. I've mentioned one in another thread - Viking Push Press using 16 kg with a 50-something adult man who is an experienced martial artist, has been using kettlebells for about a year.

Experiment #2 - 60-ish female is doing double snatches with 8 kg in each hand, sets of only 2 reps for now.

Experiment #3 - I am working on my kettlebell military press this way. Allow me to explain, since the MP isn't list as an appropriate exercise. I am working with approximately 50, 60, and 70% weights, using the following scheme:

50% is done for 4 reps, 60% is done for 3 reps. 70% is done for 2 reps - important to keep speed up.

Series 1: 50%, 50%, 60%, 60% - 14 reps
Series 2: 70%, 70%, 50%, 50% - 12 reps
Series 3: 60%, 60%, 70% 70% - 10 reps

Series 4 through 6: repeat Series 1 through 3 but start with the other hand.

It takes me 3 Series because each series is 4 sets and I have 3 different weights.

All pressing is done for maximum acceleration:

Press fast enough to get a little bounce at the top.
Pause solidly but briefly.
Pull the weight down into the rack.
Pause solidly but briefly.

I realize it's not an ideal implementation of 033, but IMHO, it's still not half bad, and it's a fun and interesting way to accomplish something vaguely like a "speed" day and get in some pressing volume. I'm giving consider to this as a substitute for light day on the ROP.

I plan to come up with something along the lines of the 300/400/600/700 swings template for 3 months of lifting Pavel published in a blog here. I will vary between 2 and 4 days a week of training as he did - I have yet to work out the math in terms of total weekly volume, number of series (will be between 2 and 6 sets per series, but that's on my list. I will apply that to my two students.

Your comments are, as always, invited.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom