all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed My new workout

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
After doing the same thing for several weeks, my progress seems to have stalled and I'm feeling stale so I'm creating my next workout. I wanted to run it past you all to check for obvious flaws.

I thought I'd go through an easy PHA type circuit a couple of times as a warmup:

Yoga pushups
Dbl kb front squats
Inverted rows
Kb deads
Lying leg raises

The above exercises seem to help keep me functional and pain free so I'd like to at least maintain them.

Then I thought I'd try the Fighter Pull up format with chins, dips, and pistol progressions on a three per week schedule. I'm at about a three rep max in those exercises and would like to reach a comfortable 5x5. Then finish with some kind of ab work, probably rollouts or hollow holds.

To me, it looks good on paper but it would be great if I could get a couple of second opinions.

Looks good to me from an exercise selection standpoint, how are you planning to run through, loading, pacing etc?

Would this be a warmup for the Fighter Pullup or a circuit routine to run for a few as a reset?

Seems like a lot of volume to combine both the PHA circuit and the dip/chin/pistol progression, but I like the idea.

For the PHA circuit I was just going to run through it once or twice as a warm up and not push it very hard. The yoga pushups especially have been great for my shoulder and helps activate my sluggish left serratus in a way that nothing else seems to. The last time I stopped doing them my shoulder started getting worse again so I want to keep them in on a maintenance mode.

The dip/chin/pistol will be the "strength" part. I might do that as a slow circuit and follow the 3rm Fighter Pullup programming but only three days per week. I tried 5/week before with just the pullups but that was too much.

I was inspired by the How to Train for Mass With Chins and Dips | StrongFirst program and thought I'd include pistols and a warm up.

Personally, I'd consider doing them on separate days. Maybe hit the Fighter Pullup program 3 days/week and on between days do a nice easy handful of circuits.

@vegpedlr, I think there will be a tendency toward too much volume. Only natural when you put movements you enjoy with ones you're trying to work on.

If you can keep it to a warmup it should be fine.

I like @North Coast Miller ’s suggestion of alternate days. You could do sun salutations as a warm up for the strength moves, that vinyasa should keep your shoulder in shape, I know it does for me.

For the warmup I was thinking of doing about half my normal working reps just to wake up the muscles a bit.

I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes. If it ends up being too much volume it should be easy enough to make adjustments. I could reduce the volume, or do the circuit only every other workout, or just on Saturday so I don't "forget" the movements. I'm trying not to get in the trap of overthinking things without having actually done it to see what happens.

As a last thought on this and since you are between programs, another option might be to use the exercises/movements in your circuit as more of the main course.

In that role you can sub out movements to get different training effects but still do them often enough to get good benefit. This sort of up/down, alternating heavy work upper and lower has produced some really good results without feeling like one is overtraining or limited to the lifts assigned in a program. You never have a day that is all one way or the other relative to load/volume, so mentally it is easy to stay sharp.

The moderate load/high volume can be subbed out for more power/speed movement variations with lower volume.

Is super easy to build with this sort of template, the only questions are how many times through, duration of rest periods, and what you'll use to trigger an increase in loading or reps.

Day 1
-Yoga pushups - moderate load/high volume
-Dbl kb front squats - heavy load/low volume

-One arm rows - heavy load/low volume
-Swings - moderate load/high volume - alternative broad jump

- Lying leg raise
----
Day 2
- incline yoga pushup or done w/ suspension trainer or some other challenging PU variant that equates to a heavy load/low volume
- goblet or hack squat - moderate load, alternative jumpsquat light to moderate load/high volume

- inverted rows - moderate load/high volume
- KB deads - heavy load/low volume

- Lying leg raises
----

Just a thought. I know myself and if I line up some stuff I like doing opposite some other training I have a tough time keeping everything in its place. I normally simplify my warmups as much as possible to avoid any conflict.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom