all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Nasal breathing

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Valeriy

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello everyone. My first post here but am reading the forum for a while already and discovered a ton of very useful information, so thank you everyone for contributing and of course to Pavel and Strongfirst for their job.
I just have read all threads here regarding breathing and still haven't found a reply to my question, so here it is.
As per Strongfirst - the breathing is exhale hissing through the mouth and two sharp inhales. Personally I've been practicing pranayama for a while and been running with nasal breathing only, so now it feels to me much more natural to breath exclusively through the nose while resting and doing swings, cleans etc. Should I work on exhale hissing through the mouth or keep nasal only breathing as it is?
Thanks!

Hardstyle swings require dynamic abdominal/trunk tension which is significantly increased if you try to force a small amount of air out through a clenched tongue/mouth/throat. The noise is optional. You can't do this exhaling through the nose.

It is your choice to do hardstyle swings or not. Keep doing what you're doing, otherwise.

@Valeriy, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

We don't have a single standard for breathing. The two broad concepts we teach are increasing intra-abdominal pressure for strength and breathing "behind the shield" for strength-endurance or other activities that cannot be accomplished on a single breath.

Perhaps if you tell us what movement or exercise you're working on, we can talk more specifically about proper breathing for that.

-S-

Thank you Steve and Al.

Steve, I am working on C&P as per Enter the Kettlebell with TGU and swings on variety days. My current kb is 24kg. But, as I understand Al already answered - no matter what movement is breathing out through the clenched tongue/mouth/throat is superior for creating abdominal pressure. Will work on that, thanks!

@Valeriy, martial artists have been doing just that for a very long time, so welcome to the martial art of strength. :)

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom