all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Neck pain after swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

4-bit

Level 5 Valued Member
I've been struggling with neck tension and neck pain recently, and I recently realized that it is triggered by my kb swing workouts. I came across some articles about the bobble head syndrome a few months ago, and have been trying to fix it since then.

I think I have eliminated the worst parts of the bobble head motions, but the tension and pain seem to persist. It feels like I create a lot of tension in my neck during the swings, but I have still not been able to figure out how to stop doing it.

Has anyone experienced neck pain from swings? How did you overcome it?
Do you have any cues or exercises that can be helpful?
Should I focus on having a neutral neck? If so, how do you practice it?
Should I try to relax my neck, or should I tense it as a part of "the packing of the shoulders"?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

(note: I'm currently only doing 2-handed swings with 16 kg and 20 kg)

I've been struggling with neck tension and neck pain recently, and I recently realized that it is triggered by my kb swing workouts. I came across some articles about the bobble head syndrome a few months ago, and have been trying to fix it since then.

I think I have eliminated the worst parts of the bobble head motions, but the tension and pain seem to persist. It feels like I create a lot of tension in my neck during the swings, but I have still not been able to figure out how to stop doing it.

Has anyone experienced neck pain from swings? How did you overcome it?
Do you have any cues or exercises that can be helpful?
Should I focus on having a neutral neck? If so, how do you practice it?
Should I try to relax my neck, or should I tense it as a part of "the packing of the shoulders"?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

(note: I'm currently only doing 2-handed swings with 16 kg and 20 kg)
Have you posted a video of your swings?

I agree with above (anti-shrug) - learning to engage my lats and ease off my traps was a game-changer for me (pretend like you're holding $100 bills under your armpits).

Also - and you'll have to experiment with this one - I found chin tuck exercises to be helpful.

And finally - have you been checked by somebody who knows what they're looking at and can physically evaluate (i.e. medical professional)?

This might not be what you want to hear but I simply stopped doing KB swings because of the chronic tension in my neck that accompanied EVERY swing session..

some days it wasn't bad, and some days it was nonexistent.. I could probably have my form fixed by a professional and return to them, but I chose to avoid the drill instead.. my neck is fine now that I avoid KB swings

you could work yourself with different mobility, OS resets, stretches, etc.. or you could eliminate the problem exercise

I just wouldn't expect any advice from this forum, as good as it may be, to help cure the tension in your neck. Cues from the forum are only going to be marginally helpful, if you can manage to implemen them on your own. You would probably do better to see an SFG who can teach you to swing crisply, and then see if the drill still causes you problems..

Neck should be neutral. Just keep it in line with your spine as it is standing straight up - the head moves with it. A lot of people finish by thrusting the head forward at the top, be aware of this and don't let it happen. I believe it stems from excessive pulling back of the shoulders (miscue re shoulder packing) along with popping, the shoulders keep going and the head sort of cranes forward at the top of the movement.

I have some degenerative cervical disk symptoms, sometimes it helps to look forward a bit as I go into the hike, but as much as possible I try to keep the neck and head neutral. This also seems to help the entire movement to smooth out.

I look about 8 feet in front of me at the floor and anchor my eyes to that point. Seems to work good for me. If I look any higher I feel it a smidge at times. Sounds like you would benefit from some professional help though, including medical.

Look down at the horizon during swings, all the time. Tbh I don't think my neck is really that tense during swings, so trying to relax it could work. Idk what anti-shrug means, but if it's about pulling the shoulders down to engage the lats then +1.

Also, try a lighter load, see if the problem occurs ?
If you can't find a solution, lay off exercise for a week and practice good posture. ( what I would do if all else fails )

I've never had neck issues with swings myself, but hurt my back and had pain somewhere in/at/near my ribbcage (right side) Issue was going heavy too fast. Going lighter and back to the basics fixed it.

I would like to echo the comments about avoiding the shrug and engaging lats harder. I've had technique/pain issues solved from simple, harmless cues on this forum.

Whether swing or not, neck has been my issue as well. I have the habit to stabilize the entire spine by tensing the neck, and the only time that I managed to relieve this was by creating intra abdominal pressure properly.
Supine or prone, correcting the breathing pattern and making it a habit to stabilize by using intra abdominal pressure was what I did.

There's an article on Strongfirst about rib flare and DNS. Seems irrelevant at first but may able to solve this problem.

I have the same issue and I am still working on it. What has helped me far is the following:

a) walking with a small weight, a book or a pillow on my head. I think I've got this from Aleks Salkin or Tim Anderson. It teaches you to walk tall and balanced. And it trains your reflexive strength.
b) carrying a light KB directly after drill (a) - and sometimes also with something on my head. Every now and then I stop and try to turn my head in all directions while still breathing relaxed and controlled.
c) maintaining this tall and balanced position while doing KB deadlifts (also single arm DLs) or drinking bird swings (smaller movement swings, starting from the plank position)
d) engaging my lats during carries and lifts (pushing them laterally) and trying to relax my traps

I try to do this in a GTG fashion and between sets of other exercises. So far my head posture has improved a lot and I get less and less problems from KB training.

Also, to relieve issues I do this Original Strength drill twice a day (once in the morning, once in the evening). It helps a lot.
The Best Reset for the Sitting Lifestyle | Original Strength

Edit: as @taikei says, ab strength (core bracing) is also really important

If it were me I would attack the the problem one step at a time..

- Seek medical advice to rule out structural/nerve related problems
If good then..

- Get FMS screening if possible
If good then..

- Get form checked by an SFG if possible
If good then..

- Plan out an OS routine and stick to it

Some thoughts..

I had a little neck stiffness after heavy swings until I got serious about T-spine, scapular and shoulder mobility. Now I have no persistent issues. Everything seemed to click into place by looking after the T-spine. It wasn't long ago when I noticed everything started to loosen up. It improved my overhead shoulder mobility almost overnight as well as MA technique. I seem to breath easier now and move with less effort.

You should be able to swing a moderate weight kb without issue if all is well structurally. That's where I would look. JMO

I've been struggling with neck tension and neck pain recently, and I recently realized that it is triggered by my kb swing workouts

It's hard to know without seeing how you preform the Kettlebell Swing.

However, as other have posted, your neck problem might be caused due to throwing your neck back during your pull. If this is the case, you need to focus on...

"Neck Packing"

"Neck Packing" is a method used to ensure you don't hyperextend you lower back; your issue may be that you are hyperextending you neck.

Pack Your Neck for a Safer Spine and Stronger Swings

The picture below from this article demonstrates the corrected "Neck Packing" position you need to be in at the completion of your Kettlebell Swing: your chin tucked into your chest.

swing-neckerrortop.jpg

Neck Pack Cuing

An effective method that teaches you to "Neck Pack" is to bite down on the top of your T-Shirt; this cues and forces you to tuck your chin/neck down into your chest ("Neck Pack).

The Deadlift, Kettlebell Swings, Back Raises, etc

One of the issue with the Deadlift, Kettlebell Swings, Back Raises, etc is some lifer try to maintain force production by hyperextening their lower back as they near the top of he movement.

Hyperextension means you are forcing you lower back into an abnormal position it is not designed for; placing an enormous amount of stress on the lower back, which cause back pain.

Your Neck Is Your "Boat Rudder". Your neck is your steering system. Thus, hyperextension of your neck means hyperextension of your lower back.

Again, it hard to know what is going on with your neck without seeing you perform a Kettlebell Swing. However, you issued might be you are hyperextending you neck during the movement.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Kenny , if you look at the article you referenced, I think the author has the picture you posted as what NOT to do at the top of the swing.

Edit to add:

To the OP...if you have the means to do so, post a video of your swing. There are a number of instructors here on the forum more than willing to give feedback. Also, I may have some fuzzy recall from reading forum responses, Original Strength authors, etc but I do believe that there is the thought out there it is next to impossible to rigidly pack the neck at the bottom of the swing...like the Breaking Muscle author says...because it overides our natural vestibular reflexes involving our eyes/line of sight/getting our body in natural positions. Our neck wants to extend. The key would be to find that balance of not hyperextending. My copy of Simple and Sinister is not handy but I believe there is brief discussion of swing stance, with Pavel pictured at the bottom of a swing ("gorilla stance") sans kettlebell, with eyes and head slightly up.

A video of this posters swing would be great though. It may not even be where he is placing eyes/neck at all...

Last edited:
Kenny , if you look at the article you referenced, I think the author has the picture you posted as what NOT to do at the top of the swing.

Wrong Picture

You look at the wrong picture. The article reference as "What NOT to do" addressed the first picture, with the neck position in the bottom part of the Kettlebell Swing.

This is the Do NOT Picture...

"Here's what most people look like when performing a kettlebell swing - a good example of what not to do:

swing-neckerrorbottom.jpg

The picture below demonstrate the correct position of he neck in the bottom part of the Kettlebell Swing...

swing-correctneckbottom.jpg

"If you are used to looking up at the bottom of a swing, this will feel downright wrong in the beginning."

Not only does it feel "downright wrong" it is "downright wrong".

Tonic Neck Reflex

"Neck Packing" also adheres the Tonic Neck Reflex. Research has demonstrated that great force production occurs when the tucked down; triggering the Tonic Neck Reflex.

Oxymoron Information

This provide conflicting information, promoting a more heads up position while promoting "Neck Packing"..

"Packing the neck is simply defined as tucking the chin slightly and keeping the head motionless during a lifting attempt. This is one of the most overlooked and underutilized training cues to ensure bigger numbers and more importantly, safer training. Head and neck position in all weight training movements is something you must address.

Adding To The Confusion

The pictures provide some feed back on "What to do" and "What NOT to do".

However, I should have skipped posting the article, which is misleading and confusing.

Dr Bret Contreras' video demonstrates "Neck Packing" for the Deadlift.

The same "Necking Protocol" applies to Back Raises and Kettlebell Swings; that because the movement patter for the Deadlift, Back Raises, and Kettlebells is virtually the same.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
In the standard of the swing, at a StrongFirst certification:
1. The back is neutral. The neck is slightly extended or neutral on the bottom of the swing.
8. The body forms a straight line on the top of the swing: the hips and knees extend fully, the spine is neutral.

(the neck being part of the spine).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom