all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Need advice on a kettlebell/bodyweight approach

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think your approach looks cool but I'm not a programming guru. Your long term goal is awesome!

However, if you want to feel really at home with the movements and your body, definitely see an SFG for some instruction and really work into the S&S warm up, particularly the goblet squat. Works wonders for running and LIFE, not just kettle bells.

Cheers, Simon.

It looks pretty complicated to me. I don't like having more than two or three movements in a workout. E.g., today I will do press/pu ladders, then some barbell deadlifts, and finish with ab wheel rollouts. I'm doing that three days a week. Joint health work in the morning, lift midday, some stretching at the end of the day. Remember the Rob Lawrence quote Pavel has repeated in a blog and I think more than once - if everything's a priority, nothing's a priority.

-S-

I think your approach looks cool but I'm not a programming guru. Your long term goal is awesome!

However, if you want to feel really at home with the movements and your body, definitely see an SFG for some instruction and really work into the S&S warm up, particularly the goblet squat. Works wonders for running and LIFE, not just kettle bells.

Cheers, Simon.

Thank you Simon! When we move back to Stockholm I will definitely look for an instructor. I second the goblet squat, its a wonderful exercises!

It looks pretty complicated to me. I don't like having more than two or three movements in a workout. E.g., today I will do press/pu ladders, then some barbell deadlifts, and finish with ab wheel rollouts. I'm doing that three days a week. Joint health work in the morning, lift midday, some stretching at the end of the day. Remember the Rob Lawrence quote Pavel has repeated in a blog and I think more than once - if everything's a priority, nothing's a priority.

-S-

Don't see how those exercises are complicated? Push-up, Pull-up and pistols are done by feel in GTG-fashion, the S&S is self-explenatory. Instead of referring to quotes in every other post, you could try to be more constructive.

Thank you.

I think it's great that you're starting off with S&S. Very solid choice. You'll develop your foundation. Kettlebell training is very much an artform, and S&S will help you discover the nuances.

It's a rare day that Steve isn't trying to be helpful, and he's been involved with StrongFirst longer and deeper than I believe everyone else on the board. Keep coming back and updating us with your experience!

@Arthax, to each his own. GTG with 2 exercises is a complete program, S&S is a complete program. Based on what you've said so far, you're attempting more things than I recommend. But my recommendations are just that, recommendations. Do whatever you like, and let us know how it goes.

If you don't want advice from whoever sees your post and feels they have a valid opinion to offer, hire a coach and follow one person's advice - if it's a good coach, that's always preferable, anyway, and I know @Karen Smith, who has participated in this thread, offers long-distance coaching and program design and get my highest recommendation.

-S-

You might subscribe to Karen Smith's Coaching Corner, at least for a month to see how her programming might benefit you.

Upfront, I have been a member since the SFG course led by her in August. For me, I wanted solid video references and access if I had questions. Plus, I wanted to lock in the extremely affordable pricing.

Also, I am very early on in any legit Bodyweight programming but it is helpful knowing about downstream potential.

All the best as you unpack your programming needs. Live well!

Arthax, am I correct that you want to do all Pushups, Pullups and Pistols/Bridges sets between your warm-up and the S&S session?
If yes this will a) lengthen the whole session by a lot and b) probably hampen your progress on S&S, especially the TGU. 5 or more sets of pullups and pushups, even with a light load/relatively low reps and plenty of rest in between sets will affect your grip, triceps, shouldergirdle and upper back. Add the upper back work from the swings and your upper body will definitely not be as fresh as it could be for the TGUs.
I used to add GTG pullups and pushups to S&S and it worked, but you have to spread the GTG sets throughout the day. Adding 1 or 2 of the GTG sets into the warm-up won't be a problem, but not more.

Replying to multiple things here.

I have tried to contact him without any results. Please, tell him he has an unread e-mail in his inbox! :)

But I don't think of it as a "program" but a list of exercises. Don't you agree?

I am completely unfamiliar with the program in question; I just know the author.

Arthax, am I correct that you want to do all Pushups, Pullups and Pistols/Bridges sets between your warm-up and the S&S session?

I wasn't aware that this is what was being proposed. GTG is throughout the day.

-S-

I need to take a step back an apologize for my grumpy attitude here. I did not realize that GTG was to be split over the whole day, nor was my argument about including BW work valid at this point as my strength level is sub par. I can 2H-swing 20kg for 50-40-30-20-10 .. with little rest and almost die trying :) and do shaky get-ups with 20kg. Please forgive my lack of respect for all you guys who wanted to point me in the right directions.

I have come to a conclusion that I will do S&S on the days I go to the gym (3 times/week) and try to work in to the 1H-swing. And continue to run on the other days .. most likely 3 days/week.

Once I´ve reached the "simple" goal, I will re-evaluate things!

@Steve Freides my strongest apoligise go to you. Sorry that I was so harsh. I´ve read a lot on the board and you really provide solid info and perspectives among us newbs :)

Edit/ just one question; when I do swings, my hamstrings are extremely sore the days after. My hammys have always been a bit "short" or tight, even when powerlifting. Is it mainly a good sign that I manage to hit them hard on swing? My gluteus burning like crazy during the set from the contraction, but I beilive they are quite strong from the powerlifting. My lower back feels really good, which is great since my injury history has always been in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience, even if I stop swinging for just a few weeks, the first session back can leave my hamstrings sore for the next few days, and as I introduce friends to the swing, I try to really limit the reps for the first few sessions (even if they are athletic and work out), and they still tend to get really sore after the first session. I think its pretty normal, and the fact that you feel your glutes working and your back feels good is an indicator that you are doing well.

Triangle pose, forward reach, straddle with a forward reach, and downward dog are your friends. I like to sit on a pillow or yoga block when I do my straddle and forward reaches because they help me tilt my pelvis forward. Triangle and straddles give me the most bang for the buck.

If you had two to three days a week devoted to lifting (kettlebell and bodyweight) in the gym, how would you set it all up? My goal is to have a healthy body as Im getting older. To many times I have tweaked my lower back from heavy squats and deadlifts, that have forced me in to long time off. Now, for the couple of months my body feels awesome when I only use BW and KB so Im eager to continue doing that along trail running, but Im unsure on how to set it all up?

@Karen Smith
I regularly train/practice kb and bw 2-3 days a week. If you have any specific skills you want to improve at I would recommend you do them first then add the ones you enjoy and want to maintain. As for specifics, It really depends on your goals, but you can get incredibly strong with these two modalities in only 2-3 days a week. I do distance coaching if you would like to email me about setting up a program for you.

You might subscribe to Karen Smith's Coaching Corner, at least for a month to see how her programming might benefit you.

Upfront, I have been a member since the SFG course led by her in August. For me, I wanted solid video references and access if I had questions. Plus, I wanted to lock in the extremely affordable pricing.

Also, I am very early on in any legit Bodyweight programming but it is helpful knowing about downstream potential.

All the best as you unpack your programming needs. Live well!
Thank you Will...I promise you that the video Library will be coming in the future. :) As for seeing my coaching corner for how I program...well that depends. The coaching corner is more of Workouts of the Day for those that do not want to have to think about programming or any specific goals. If someone has a SPECIFIC goal that they are wanting to achieve rather than general health and fitness, then I would recommend distance coaching. While it is more expensive, it is designed for each individual person with your desired goal in mind and your equipment/availability. Either way, I appreciate the recommendation and will be adding more soon. The WOD's are loaded every Tuesday for a full week of workouts.

Also thank you @Steve Freides for referring me for Distance coaching/program design.

Happy to help those interested, my students are killing it and getting crazy STRONG :)

Yes Mark. How did you run that? (he is a beast!! )

here's how I basically did it

since I get to the gym between 11am-1pm by the time I get

I would prep using Original Strength Resets for about 5-10 minutes...

afterwards I would set a GTG block for about an hour where I would do a set of HSPUs and pistols (yes I didn't use OAPs since my secondary goal at this point was pressing strength) with about 15-20 minutes between practice attempts...

by the time I was done with my first block, my first class or 1on1 client would come in..

so usually halfway thru their session (about 20-30 minutes since I did my technique block) I get the chance to sneak in another set during their rest first and second rest period...

then about 4pm earliest, I would now do my S&S practice

I did this roughly 4x/week for about 6 weeks

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom