all posts post new thread

Nutrition Need some advice pls...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LEGENDARY70

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello all.

New here and excited to get some help and support. A little history:

Have never been heavy. Got of the Army in 98. That is when i started gaining weight. Went from 165 (im 5 9) to 298 (the heaviest i got) in several years. Stayed heavy for a long time. Back in around 2014 i decided to go on a keto diet because well obviously got diabetes etc. Did very well and went down to around 250. Then for many years i was on and off and my weight fluctuated between 225-240. I started eating less and better the last year and I am down to 218. I heard about the carnivore diet on youtube about two weeks ago. I started the diet this past monday and today friday i am down to 213...WOW! I have been getting headaches since wednesday. Normal I guess....my body is probably in withdrawals. Doing good and will continue on the diet. But man am i craving something sweet and my bud light! lol

Ok so when i was on keto and was losing all that weight, I would eat cool whip with just a tad of chocalate powder which would still keep me way under my daily 40 grams or less of carbs.

Will it hurt my weight loss on this diet to eat that cool whip...will it hurt my loss a lot or would it be ok?

On the same keto I would drink michelob ultra and i never saw any weight gain at all.....same question...would it affect me badly as far as weight loss on this diet?

Any advice would be great......and pls dont just post NO. dont do it. please explain if possible.

thx all

Your fat loss is a function of energy balance.

If your usual day is 2000 calories of liverwurst and bacon, you won't gain fat by switching to 2000 calories of cool whip and beer.

That said you 100% for sure will gain some water weight back.

I wouldn't go that route, as you are having success with a super restrictive diet. In order to have long term success with this style of eating you will need long term compliance. Now is a great time to practice that compliance.

Hello all.

New here and excited to get some help and support. A little history:

Have never been heavy. Got of the Army in 98. That is when i started gaining weight. Went from 165 (im 5 9) to 298 (the heaviest i got) in several years. Stayed heavy for a long time. Back in around 2014 i decided to go on a keto diet because well obviously got diabetes etc. Did very well and went down to around 250. Then for many years i was on and off and my weight fluctuated between 225-240. I started eating less and better the last year and I am down to 218. I heard about the carnivore diet on youtube about two weeks ago. I started the diet this past monday and today friday i am down to 213...WOW! I have been getting headaches since wednesday. Normal I guess....my body is probably in withdrawals. Doing good and will continue on the diet. But man am i craving something sweet and my bud light! lol

Ok so when i was on keto and was losing all that weight, I would eat cool whip with just a tad of chocalate powder which would still keep me way under my daily 40 grams or less of carbs.

Will it hurt my weight loss on this diet to eat that cool whip...will it hurt my loss a lot or would it be ok?

On the same keto I would drink michelob ultra and i never saw any weight gain at all.....same question...would it affect me badly as far as weight loss on this diet?

Any advice would be great......and pls dont just post NO. dont do it. please explain if possible.

thx all
Buy some heavy cream and either use a blender or a whisk and spin the SH out of it until it turns into... you guessed it... WHIPPED CREAM. then throw some berries in it. You’ll dig it I bet.
I’m doing like 90% strict “carnivore.” I eat cheese sometimes. Sometimes I take a bite of my babies food to see if it’s still hot. Most days it’s steak and eggs. Or bacon and eggs. Pretty simple. No protein powder cause it messes my stomach. I don’t think throwing some extra this-or-that in will derail you too badly but it sometimes just gets your head out of the game. Nothing like waking up the day after you REALLY wanted to eat pizza with the family but didn’t, stuck to your guns and got the training in the next morning.
Some people seem to do fine with the “cheaty” stuff. I don’t binge if I throw some carbs or whatever in but it does just always leave me thinking “why did I do that?”. Minus the occasional sweet potato or something if I’m really tapped. When I do throw carbs back in my weight always bounces back up 3-5lbs for a day or two. I just try to not look at the scale for a day or two after at this point.
As far as the headaches... try adding some Himalayan salt to your water? Lots of people seem to mitigate that low carb drag with electrolytes.
I’m definitely not perfect. Have some stuff that’s not on the diet once or twice a month... but the real treat or reward, in my opinion, is sticking to the plan :)

Last edited:
My two cents, a "diet" should be something that's all around long term healthy, just less of it.

Obligate carnivores get more carbs than a person on a carnivore diet in form of muscle glycogen. I'm not clear if the carnivore diet is supposed to be keto or not.

I love the idea of whipping your own cream with some fruit.

thank you all. I will try that cream with berries idea. certain type of berries?

also just wondering. i came across these last night while buying some liquor.....im guessing since it has 0 carbs and zero sugar it would be fine to drink on carnivore diet?

ill put up a pic as well.

MIchelob ultra organic seltzer 0 carbs and 0 sugars?

thx

Welcome to the forum!

Having been on a pretty strict carnivore diet for about a year, low carb after that, and having had a few periods where I would drink things like hard seltzers... I would advise strongly against drinking regulary while on a carnivore diet.

Here is my reason: microbiome. Also a very simplified explanation...

On carnivore all the "good bacteria" that would normally be feeding off of veggies and whatnot will be gone or drastically changed. Alcohol + altered microbiome = no good news. For instance, candida thrives on alcohol, and without the good bugs to "keep it in check" it will overgrow. I had elevated candida when I had my stool tested. Also allergies for like 9 months. Runny nose and sneezing all day most days. I had to take anti-fungals to get back to "normal" and that was not a fun experience.

Takeaway is:
if you want to eat carnivore and you want a drink, make it a treat. Like once a month or something. Or less. Carnivore does not jive with regular drinking in my experience. If you want to drink more regularly and stay low carb, I would suggest keeping some veggies (squashes, berries, low sugar/carb veggies) in the diet and take probiotics regularly.

These days super models have to look healthy or else the twittersphere erupts with allegations they are being exploited and abused. And they do look healthy, in fact they look fantastic. Like they could tackle King Kong and live to be 100. I’m reliably informed super models drink vodka and soda with a twist of lime (real lime, not lime cordial). Apparently the pure spirit has no nasty impurities, the soda keeps you nice and hydrated and the lime gives you an infusion of all that good stuff that keeps scurvy at bay. I think we can all learn a lot from super models.

disclosure: I drink beer and just look at me

These days super models have to look healthy or else the twittersphere erupts with allegations they are being exploited and abused. And they do look healthy, in fact they look fantastic. Like they could tackle King Kong and live to be 100. I’m reliably informed super models drink vodka and soda with a twist of lime (real lime, not lime cordial). Apparently the pure spirit has no nasty impurities, the soda keeps you nice and hydrated and the lime gives you an infusion of all that good stuff that keeps scurvy at bay. I think we can all learn a lot from super models.

disclosure: I drink beer and just look at me
I thought it was cigarettes, cocaine, coffee and excellent genes.

Hello again.

Ever since i got on this carnivore I have been having trouble going. I ate an avocado saturday and sunday. It helped a lot. what can i use besides the avocado to help me go. thx

From Thibaudeau this morning:

You should not disregard carbs/fats ratios or the quality of the foods you eat.

Nutrients can have impacts on how you feel, sleep or even respond to stress.For example, carbohydrates are a lot more effective than fats and proteins to lower cortisol as well as adrenaline (cortisol leads to an increase in adrenaline by increasing the conversion of noradrenaline)

I personally manipulate calories, carbs and fats with every phase in the fat loss plan (protein remains fairly stable).

Calories will be decreased if fat loss stalls.

The carbs to fat ratio will INCREASE from phase to phase (while calories can decrease or be maintained since activity level increases). This is really the key part of my system.

Why do I gradually add carbs when dieting?

1.To prevent excessive leptin reduction. Lowered leptin affects hunger, caloric expenditure and your capacity to lose fat. Leptin decreases during caloric deficit periods BUT it is the drop in carbs, not fat (or protein) intake that lead to this drop . By gradually increasing carbs as the diet progresses you have a better shot at maintaining leptin levels.

2.To maintain thyroid levels. Cortisol and carbohydrate intake are two of the main regulators of the conversion of T4 into T3. The longer you spend in severe carbs restriction, the more likely you are to dowregulate that conversion and reduce metabolic rate.

3.To help you sleep better. Carbohydrates are the best “supplement” to lower cortisol. Since cortisol increases adrenaline levels (conversion of nor-adrenaline to adrenaline) if you lower cortisol you lower adrenaline which will help you sleep better. Also interesting to note that lack of sleep is one of the main causes of a leptin drop.

4.To give you the fuel for the training changes. The more we progress in our fat loss plan, the more high intensity work (intervals, loaded carries, high-density workouts, more training volume) is added.

5.Gives the illusion of less severe dieting. If you add carbs to a diet and maintain caloric intake (or even if you decrease it slightly) most people will feel like they are not dieting as strictly.

LINK TO MY UPCOMING WEBINAR ON FAT LOSS IN PROFILE

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom