all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed New muscle and strength at 46?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rbt

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey all,
I'm turning 46 in a few days and wanted to know of some good programming for adding strength and a little muscle as well? I've been practicing S&S for a few years and now recently started one of Geoff Nuperts cycles.
I don't want to add fat and have found in the past if i try and bulk up i end up adding too much fat with the extra muscle.
Thanks

Pavel's 3 to 5 is a very simple and effective program for a mix of strength and hypertrophy (can google or search this forum)

Edit: Sorry just noticed this is in kettlebells. I have no idea about kettlebells

Hey all,
I'm turning 46 in a few days and wanted to know of some good programming for adding strength and a little muscle as well? I've been practicing S&S for a few years and now recently started one of Geoff Nuperts cycles.
I don't want to add fat and have found in the past if i try and bulk up i end up adding too much fat with the extra muscle.
Thanks

Using kettlebells only? Or other modalities?

What weight kettlebell do you use / own now?

Keeping a clean diet and strength training 3x per week should do the trick :)

A "clean" bulk requires alot of volume (for me) and imho its not worth it.

Keeping a clean diet and strength training 3x per week should do the trick :)

Clean Diet

The problems with this term is that it's extremely vague.

Everyone seem to have them own definition of what it is.

Thus, anyone using that term needs to define it for other.

Third, like most thing, nutritional science is fluid. The research data on diet and nutrition continues to change.

Diets are somewhat like driving home; there are various routes that will get you there.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:

The 80/20 Rule of Increasing Muscle Mass

For most individual the 80/20 Rule applies. When gaining muscle mass/body weight, some body fat is usually going to occur.

With a well written diet and exercise plan, most likely 80% of the weight gain will be muscle mass and around 20% will be body fat.

Obese individual tend to be the exception to the rule.

Caloric Intake

Research (Drs Layne Norton and John Ivy) shows that increasing your caloric intake approximately 20% above maintenance is most effective at increasing muscle mass while minimizing fat gain.

Calorie Rotation

Research essentially confirm the "Bulk and Cut Method" Bodybuilder have successfully used for decades, which is Calorie Rotation.

Research demonstrated the decreasing your caloric intake for two weeks and then going back to maintenance for two weeks, decreased body fat while preserving muscle mass.

Thus, you continuously rotating your caloric intake every two weeks.

Increasing Muscle Mass While Minimizing Body Fat Gain

The same strategy for losing weight (decreasing body fat and maintaining muscle mass) works for increasing muscle mass and minimizing fat gain.

Essentially you just turn it upside down.

1) Increase Caloric Intake approximately 20% above maintenance for two weeks.

2) Decrease Caloric back to maintenance for two weeks.

3) Repeat the above process.

Determining Caloric Maintenance

First you need to determine the number of calories you are consuming, while maintaining your body weight.

1) The Three Day Recall: Count your calories for three days.

2) Then divide your three day total by three to determine your daily average caloric intake. One of those three days needs to be a weekend, due to the fact that you eating habits change.

The General Adaptation Syndrome

The the foundation of Calorie Rotation has to due with The General Adaptation Syndrome. Periodization Training is based on this principle.

When stress is placed on the body, you either adapt or possibly die.

Once adaptation occurs you stop making progress. Your body has adapted to the Training Program or in this case your Caloric Intake.

When stop making progress, something need to change.

Kenny Croxdale

In my experience the added 20% calorie rule is pretty solid advice. You can only pile on so many calories without it going right into storage, no matter what the macros are.

The most important thing to remember, especially if your weight has been pretty stable for any length of time, any extra calories you add will initially just increase your energy reserves.

If you don't increase some training variables it will go to fat instead of muscle. It can take a week or more of this increase in output before the body will begin to respond by increasing lean muscle.

This has two effects:
- you need to increase calories a little more than you probably initially estimated as the increased output will burn up some of the surplus.
- it can take a little longer than expected before mass begins to increase. Stay the course.

If you notice it going to pudge do one or more of the following - increase training volume, decrease calories, change your macros to include more protein.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom