all posts post new thread

Off-Topic New weight loss drugs

LukeV

Level 7 Valued Member
@Anna C mentioned the new weight loss drugs in another post and rather than hijack it I thought I would ask separately whether anyone has experience they would care to share. On my part I used Rybelsus (oral version of semaglutide) for three weeks and lost 5kg. I was definitely less hungry and felt full sooner so the effects were as advertised. I had no other side effects. I felt my weight loss correlated with the calorific deficit (ie the drug works by suppressing appetite). My summary is that I believe the drug would be useful for someone struggling to habitualise a calorie reduction program as the appetite suppressant makes compliance easier, but there is no miracle effect

Keto/Carnivore diet does exactly the same thing as these drugs (down regulating hunger hormones) without the very dangerous long term side effects.

My wife was on one of them called Manjero. It produced a significant amount of nausea and she could not eat because of it. Or when she did eat, it made her feel so full so fast that she would become sick feeling. She did lose a significant amount of Covid weight she had gained. She was doing travel nursing for some time and long work hours in the emergency room and the need to just eat when she has time to eat took a toll. In about a year or so time she lost about 60 pounds. I'm sure it probably would help someone who the doctor recommends it for. I don't personally have experience with any weight loss drugs. Adjusting my diet has never really been a big issue for me.

Keto/Carnivore diet does exactly the same thing as these drugs (down regulating hunger hormones) without the very dangerous long term side effects.
nope, not really at all the same.
Keto minimizes insulin, glp 1 increases it. Along with increasing feelings of fullness and other satiety hormones.

So kind of opposite.

Last edited:
semaglutide was kind of ketosis on steroids, for me (pardon the pun). everything that ketosis does, in terms of satiety and longer term appetite suppression, semaglutide did much better. I didn’t experience the nausea or any other side effect. Another interesting fact is I have a buddy who is extremely obese (BMI 45, has been as high as 55) and he recently told me he discussed the new drugs with his doctor who declined to recommend them because his BP and bloodwork are fine. Now I assumed he would be an ideal candidate but apparently obesity is not enough (in Australia anyway). My cousin in Singapore was prescribed liraglutide on weight alone (BMI 38) and has lost nearly 20kg in 5 months. That is a dramatic result

What happens when people reach their target weight and stop semaglutide?

Does the weight come back?

An interesting effect of the semaglutide was I didn't feel like drinking alcohol either. I am otherwise a reasonably heavy drinker

My summary is that I believe the drug would be useful for someone struggling to habitualise a calorie reduction program as the appetite suppressant makes compliance easier, but there is no miracle effect

I don't think it would help me much.

When I go on a cut, the challenge I have isn't getting hungry.

It's food choices of things that are otherwise healthy (or even keto friendly), e.g. nuts vs carrot sticks.

Beef vs chicken.

etc.

An interesting effect of the semaglutide was I didn't feel like drinking alcohol either. I am otherwise a reasonably heavy drinker

Interesting.

What do you consider reasonably heavy?

I'm usually 2-3 drinks per day:

--cocktail / aperitif
--glass of wine
--digestif

Interesting.

What do you consider reasonably heavy?

I'm usually 2-3 drinks per day:

--cocktail / aperitif
--glass of wine
--digestif
The first 2-3 drinks per day don't touch the sides hahaha I drink about a bottle of red wine every night, often the beer equivalent, sometimes nothing, but an alcohol free day is a deliberate action as in "I really think I need an alcohol free day"

Back
Top Bottom