all posts post new thread

Kettlebell No equipment Q&D

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
One of Selouyanovs basic templates consists of power pushups, box jumps and explosive pull ups or rows performed for 10 reps for a total of 10 rounds. Should be easy to adjust to the Q&D format using the swing/push up template.

Here you can see it being performed by a high level wrestler:

Interesting to see that he resets for every rep - in contrast to the QnD style

I'm in the middle of nowhere so I decided to do Q&D with hill sprints. I used the 044 format and did a total of 3 series, for 12 sprints.

It was way way harder than snatching the 24. When I think about it, a 10 second sprint is awful by itself, so doing 12 in 10 minutes is pretty tough. The last sprint I had very little power left and could hardly be called a sprint.

Maybe the 033 protocol with push ups would work better as it gives some more rest between sprints.
I heard that 4-5 seconds is better for sprints. Once you hit top speed, you're not training power well, and the metabolic demand of 5 seconds of sprinting is about the same as 10+ seconds of swings/snatches. I've tried it on some runs for the last couple months and it seems to work about right.

I heard that 4-5 seconds is better for sprints. Once you hit top speed, you're not training power well, and the metabolic demand of 5 seconds of sprinting is about the same as 10+ seconds of swings/snatches. I've tried it on some runs for the last couple months and it seems to work about right.

That makes sense. The sprints I did felt too long. It was a fairly steep hill, so I dont think power demand dropped much after 5 seconds, but it was too long for the metabolic demands you mention. I'll give 5 secs a try, thanks.

You get a bit of "rest" (at least not maximal effort) at the top and in the drop of the snatch. I know that in Hardstyle you should plank at the top and that the bell doesn't passively fall without any action in the drop, but these phases are less demanding than the hip snap phase. You don't get any rest in the sprint, especially a hill print. As soon as you finish pushing with one leg, the other one comes into action. It's true that you only push with one leg at a time in a sprint, but cadence is much quicker. Taking all this into consideration, iIt makes sense that your sprints should be shorter than your snatch sets.

I recommend sprinting/ push ups and swimming / push ups

In the sprints 20 seconds for capacity 2/10 or power 10 seconds 5/4 protocol.

I did swimming due to the swimming course of my 6 year old son and it was a great exercise.

Hello,

Maybe this is already mentioned, but using a skipping rope can also be interesting, even i this is not really a no equipment per se.

Different patterns, such as double unders, or alternate high knee. Then, any work-to-rest ratio underlined in QD for instance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

It's not actually related to the OP's topic, but this is my experience with power push up. On the tet holiday last more than 10 days, i did power push up daily, the last few days was more than 10 sets of 10 ( don't really remember the number). After the tet, i continue train with barbell. Soon i find out why we have dead in deadlift, and also squat is hard to. But the pressing exercises are much more easier after the long rest. I press 57.5 kg over head for 5 x 5, and dips + 40 kg 5 x 5 with ease. The power push up is a real-deal.

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

First post here, but long time follower of Strongfirst. I am currently "blessed" to be living in Italy during this time of restrictions. Normally I use our well equipped gym at the office but with the gym and the office closed for the most part my routine is being disrupted. When I have all the equipment I believe in my programming pretty well, but programming for power with bodyweight only is still a place I am a bit unsure of good substitutions.

I want use equipment free Q&D to fill in my time, but I also live in an apartment here so jump squats, even with good soft landings, tend to rumble things more then I like for my neighbors. Particularly since we are all at home all the time now.

Since I dont have a hill to sprint either, what would this fine group of minds recommend? Just plain bodyweight squats executed with a focus on power (really try to push the earth away), or is there another lower body power exercise I am not thinking of?

Earnestly Learning Strength,
Ben

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

First post here, but long time follower of Strongfirst. I am currently "blessed" to be living in Italy during this time of restrictions. Normally I use our well equipped gym at the office but with the gym and the office closed for the most part my routine is being disrupted. When I have all the equipment I believe in my programming pretty well, but programming for power with bodyweight only is still a place I am a bit unsure of good substitutions.

I want use equipment free Q&D to fill in my time, but I also live in an apartment here so jump squats, even with good soft landings, tend to rumble things more then I like for my neighbors. Particularly since we are all at home all the time now.

Since I dont have a hill to sprint either, what would this fine group of minds recommend? Just plain bodyweight squats executed with a focus on power (really try to push the earth away), or is there another lower body power exercise I am not thinking of?

Earnestly Learning Strength,
Ben
I would do flat sprints and push ups using the 033 protocol. Sprint duration limited to 4 seconds and only use 5/4.

I would do flat sprints and push ups using the 033 protocol. Sprint duration limited to 4 seconds and only use 5/4.

Apologies, but I left out the part where we are not supposed to leave our homes if possible right now in Rome where I live. If I think the polizia will leave me alone i would definately do flat sprints, but i hesitate to push it in the current situation.

Is there a suggestion for an exercise in a limited area to do in place of the sprint/squat jumps? Or am I reach to far to try for a power work out and just revert to GTG naked warrior style for the moment? All thoughts are appreciated.

Learning more,
Ben

If I think the polizia will leave me alone i would definately do flat sprints, but i hesitate to push it in the current situation.
you dont seem to have that many options for lower body. Maybe box jumps? Landing on those is much less noisier than landing on the floor.

Doing naked warrior for a while is a great idea.

Last edited:
And do we have any special technique for the jump squat to maximum its benefits?

Apologies, but I left out the part where we are not supposed to leave our homes if possible right now in Rome where I live. If I think the polizia will leave me alone i would definately do flat sprints, but i hesitate to push it in the current situation.

Is there a suggestion for an exercise in a limited area to do in place of the sprint/squat jumps? Or am I reach to far to try for a power work out and just revert to GTG naked warrior style for the moment? All thoughts are appreciated.

Learning more,
Ben

The "grounding" technique that is used with the explosive push-ups can be applied to the explosive/jumping squats.

@Oscar I thought as much, but was still not sure if I missed something. Probably going to default to naked warrior u till I can get outside a little.

@vikos good point, that is a good starting point for a better thought process next time I work through this problem.

Learning more,
Ben

A less noisy variant than jump squats would be:
1. Jumping up a couple of stair steps and stepping back down.
2. Jumping lunges

I like the second power movement better... more muscles worked, no resets, unilateral, and loadable.

And do we have any special technique for the jump squat to maximum its benefits?

I heard that the best way to differentiate a good from a bad jumper is if he land silently, smoothly, softly:D. Problem solved haha try to land as silently as you can. Less impact for the joint and less noise for the neighboor and definitely putting more effort in the exercise.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
My favorite bodyweight Q&D is sprints - hill or flat. Pulled hamstrings can be a risk if you haven't sprinted in a while or are older but can mostly be prevented with an adequate dynamic warmup of ABC type drills.
I heard that 4-5 seconds is better for sprints.
Instead of time, I've found foot strikes to work better for correlating with Q&D. 5 rep foot strikes look like RLRLRLRLRL if starting the sprint with left foot forward. Using foot strikes also works for tracking progress by measuring the distance to the last foot fall. progress will show covering more ground with the same number of strides.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom