all posts post new thread

Non-Alcoholic Alcohol

I agree. I'm sober now and want to stay that way. I was told to steer away from the N/A stuff.
To me at least it kinda seems similar to swapping your skoal with something like black buffalo.

You remove the harmful stuff... but still keep the habit which makes it real easy to slide back in.

To me at least it kinda seems similar to swapping your skoal with something like black buffalo.

You remove the harmful stuff... but still keep the habit which makes it real easy to slide back in.
It might be useful to transition off, or perhaps to "scratch the itch" when you're getting that craving. Almost like using naltrexone just without the drugs.

It might be useful to transition off, or perhaps to "scratch the itch" when you're getting that craving. Almost like using naltrexone just without the drugs.
Yeah, I should have said "while still keeping the habit long term".

Nothing against replacement therapy, just don't make it the new addiction.

Word of warning on the NA beers, to make up for the lack of taste in some of them they are loaded with sugar, so you end up replacing one poison (alcohol) with another (sugar). There are good NA sugar free alternatives though, two of my favourites that most people who try them seem to like are Lucky Saint and Impossibrew. Not sure if these are just UK based drinks or not though.

With regards to the price being so high, I think a lot of this is just down to economies of scale, they are producing these in relatively low volumes so costs are high, but the more popular they get, and they seem to be getting more popular, then you would hope costs do come down. Fingers crossed anyway.
The high price has to do with volume loss during the alcohol removal process. I have a winery in Washington State and we looked into doing non al wine. Depending on the alcohol level, the removal process takes 60-80% pf the volume when it's complete. Its most likely les for beer, as its 5 ish% alcohol, but its defeintley still an expense. Hence the need for very large volumes to make the numbers pencil.

It the whiskey tastes good without alcohol, which is a highly subjective evaluation, then why not?
But are the calories from whiskey really that significant with a "normal consumption"?

Beer with zero alcohol has indeed taken some steps in the right directions the last twenty years, but I have yet to taste any version that comes anywhere close to a really good stout, porter or red ale.

Beer with zero alcohol has indeed taken some steps in the right directions the last twenty years, but I have yet to taste any version that comes anywhere close to a really good stout, porter or red ale.

Deschutes now has their Black Butte in a NA.

Guinness 0.0 is well reviewed here in the UK.
I'm waiting for a gluten free version which is perhaps too niche

Wow I have been making jokes about such a thing for years. Non alcohalic hard liquore.
I would say it sounds wonderful.
I drink only hard liquore because I just don't like beer.
And I would drink hard booze even if it had no effect, I like very strong flavors.
Sounds cool.

Ritual's non-alcoholic whiskey alternative sounds like a great option for those looking to reduce calories without compromising on taste. It's smart to have a balance, enjoying the non-alcoholic version during the week and the real thing on weekends.
If your wife is open to trying more options, there are several other non-alcoholic alternatives available that she might enjoy. Websites like Mocktail Makeovers: Healthy and Low-Calorie Alternatives to Your Favorite Drinks offer ideas and recipes for healthy, low-calorie mocktails that can be a fun and tasty alternative to traditional alcoholic drinks. Overall, it's all about finding what works best for her taste and lifestyle.

The high price has to do with volume loss during the alcohol removal process. I have a winery in Washington State and we looked into doing non al wine. Depending on the alcohol level, the removal process takes 60-80% pf the volume when it's complete. Its most likely les for beer, as its 5 ish% alcohol, but its defeintley still an expense. Hence the need for very large volumes to make the numbers pencil.
Greg, I'm a wine drinker in WA and would love to support a member of the forum! Would you mind putting out a link to your winery? You could also DM me, if that makes you more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom