all posts post new thread

Non-Alcoholic Alcohol

Easiest thing to do is break out of the habit if it is daily. It's something that shouldn't even be in your brain on workdays. By having a "mocktail" it gives credence to the hold it has as a habit. My wife is the same way. Loves her wine. Has 2 every night. On days she doesn't drink, it's flavored seltzer and a splash of cranberry. On days I don't drink, Monday-Thursday, just water. I need to lose some weight so I don't even want to think about alcohol for the next month.

Magnesium Glycinate and L-Theanine is my ritual. It’s real relaxation and deep sleep. Highly recommend it for people that are stressed or have a hard time staying asleep.

When I'm in a cut, I switch from beer to cocktails.

The secret to a good Negroni is less in the gin than in the vermouth.

But tonight fall weather is making it chilly, so it's a Boulevardier, using Sazerac, for that extra NOLA flair. Cocchi Storico vermouth.

Last edited:
I've never tried alcohol free spirits. I have to wonder how close they can be to the real thing. I suppose they can be fine in a mocktail, but straight?

The beers have got a lot better and they're enjoyable. However, I too wonder why the price is so high. At least over here, the most of the price of beer comes from tax, so the alcohol free beer should be next to free. But it costs more than regular beer. In that case, I'll just drink the real thing.

I mix a shot of vodka in my Monster or C4 before I work out, and most of the time I'm 2 drinks in before I go to the gym. Mellows the nerves out a bit from the caffeine. I'm not joking. So obviously I've never understood the appeal of non-alcoholic drinks made to taste like alcohol. Then again I may just be an alcoholic. :D

I'll second the beers from Athletic Brewing. Especially when it's pool season in Arizona and I'm looking for something cold to drink while floating around the pool. It's close enough to the real thing that I'll drink one after a long day at work and it does the trick. Tried a few other NA beer brands, but after trial and error keep coming back to Athletic Brewing.

Easiest thing to do is break out of the habit if it is daily. It's something that shouldn't even be in your brain on workdays. By having a "mocktail" it gives credence to the hold it has as a habit. My wife is the same way. Loves her wine. Has 2 every night. On days she doesn't drink, it's flavored seltzer and a splash of cranberry. On days I don't drink, Monday-Thursday, just water. I need to lose some weight so I don't even want to think about alcohol for the next month.
I've recently started making whiskey sour mocktails at home when on a dry weekend night. The preparation and effort seems to make me enjoy it all the more.
The recipe uses some fancy tea but I just substituted brown tea.
Then last night I had a proper amaretto sour which has got me thinking to try some almond syrup and simplify the recipe.

Ritual's non-alcoholic whiskey alternative sounds like a great option for those looking to reduce calories without compromising on taste. It's smart to have a balance, enjoying the non-alcoholic version during the week and the real thing on weekends.

Athletic Brewing is a great NA beer brand. There seems to be a bit of a surge in demand for NA beverages, my NA beer sales are much higher and every distributor is pushing a NA spirits option.
I love Athletic. Its a good fill in, good taste

I'm a big fan of non-alcoholic beer, particularly particularly when it's brewed to be alcohol free as opposed to extracted. When I lived in Australia, there were some excellent brands and these were becoming regular at pubs (Heaps Normal being the obvious one and a very Australian name). There are some really good standards out there that are available in France too, e.g., Kehrwieder ü.NN IPA alkoholfrei 0,33l | Kehrwieder.Shop.
Heaps normal is the only NA beer I’ll even consider. It’s not too bad really. The rest I just don’t like

I’ve ever liked alcohol enough to drink it without the alcohol. Even the finest wine or the most refreshing beer is only worth it due to that pleasant after-feeling. Have you noticed that the non-alcohol alcohols seem just as expensive as the alcohol alcohols even though they’re not subject to the same tax? What’s that all about?
Basic profiteering like everything else now. Like how there’s always a shortage of something because of some weird random event on the opposite side of the world which puts prices up. Like chocolate at Easter just gone

From a company called Ritual. My wife likes some of what they have but only some. Label below is from their “whiskey alternative.” For her, it’s a calorie reduction thing, and she still drinks normal stuff some of the time, something like this stuff during the week and the real thing on the weekends.

Thoughts?

-S-

View attachment 22604
Looks nice…. Similar approach in our house.

Word of warning on the NA beers, to make up for the lack of taste in some of them they are loaded with sugar, so you end up replacing one poison (alcohol) with another (sugar). There are good NA sugar free alternatives though, two of my favourites that most people who try them seem to like are Lucky Saint and Impossibrew. Not sure if these are just UK based drinks or not though.

With regards to the price being so high, I think a lot of this is just down to economies of scale, they are producing these in relatively low volumes so costs are high, but the more popular they get, and they seem to be getting more popular, then you would hope costs do come down. Fingers crossed anyway.

I’ve ever liked alcohol enough to drink it without the alcohol. Even the finest wine or the most refreshing beer is only worth it due to that pleasant after-feeling. Have you noticed that the non-alcohol alcohols seem just as expensive as the alcohol alcohols even though they’re not subject to the same tax? What’s that all about?
I'm just the opposite. I drink neither coffee nor alcohol for the "effects," but for the taste. There are some NA beers that are cloes enough for me, especially for something lighter to have with a meal. If I could find an NA bourbon that I thought tasted good I would switch to it.

Back
Top Bottom