all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Nordic Curl Device?

A problem w. the way many Nordic curls are performed is that you can't drive the foot into a toe plate. The driving the foot/extension of the ankle helps engage the gastrocnemius AND glutes strongly - without it, it can become just a bodyweight hamstring curl. One big reason to go w. a proper glute ham bench if you can afford it $ and space wise.

As far as this piece of equipment goes, it looks useful enough, cheap, portable. If you give it a go, tell us what you think.

Has anyone used one of these?

Amazon product ASIN B097S8MBLM

The price is reasonable so I was thinking of ordering one but wanted to see if anyone has experience they can share.
Got one about a week ago after hearing Tim Ferris’s and Andrew Huberman talk about Nordic curls. New to Nordic curls so, predictably, overdid the first time out. In a nutshell, they’re hard (for me, at least) and I went to a resistance band to help. My hamstrings and glutes need some work and Nordic curls definitely provide. I like the gadget, particularly cost and minimalism.

Devices like this have been sold for years to anchor the feet for situps (hooking the toes under the pad). I had one that I used as a Pavelizer substitute (with the pads behind the calves).

It looks like someone thought, "Hey, Nordic curls a thing now; we could start selling these to a new market."

I don't have any personal experience with Nordic curls, but maybe it works great. It certainly looks like a cheap and convenient way to anchor the feet.

I have a padded Nordic curl device with toe pad and that exercise is very good and very very hard.blows the hams up

Has anyone used one of these?

Amazon product ASIN B097S8MBLM

The price is reasonable so I was thinking of ordering one but wanted to see if anyone has experience they can share.
Whatever you are displaying does not show up for me, but I've had a Nordstick for a few months, which I like. And it cost 40 bucks.

Have had since 12/16/22, and use once every 7-10 days or so.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice.

Next question: How do you program it? Frequency, what other exercises go with it or are redundant, etc?
Depends on what else you have going on. Basic GPP for me.
Last time was 3/26, easy pump day complex, 8/8 lunge, 8/8 step up 20", 8/8 SLS ( all with 2x #10dbs ) 8 nords, 8 ball hams,8 ball bridges, 5 rounds 39 mins. On 2/8 another complex, 3:00 wall sqt., 10 knuckle pwr. pushups, 10 nords, 8 strict ( pause top/bottom ) pullups, 4 rounds, 30:30. On 2/17, Pressing GU #35, 11 presses per side, 1/1, 3:00 wall sqt. 10 nords, 4 rounds, 28:41.

Nordicstick

It looks good and is is officially "Don Endorsed". :)

It appears to be an easy way to perform Nordic Curls.

With that said, Nordic Curls are more of an Eccentric Movement and generally the Concentric Contraction isn't performed due to how hard they are. If it is performed, it is usually with some type of assistance.

Another exercise that would allow a Eccentic-Concentric for Hamstrings with the Nordic Stick would be a...

Glute Ham Razor Curl

The Razor Curl is ofen performed on a Glute Ham Bench; an exercise that primarily works the Hamstrings.

The Razor Curl is still a movement that requires some Hamstring Strength to perform. However, for most individuals, performing the Concentric Contraction in it is doable.

The Nordic Stick would allow individuals to perform a...

Hamstring Floor Razor Curl With Ab Wheel

Evidently, Razor Curls on the floor aren't popular, So, this was the best video demonstration that I could find.

The key, as with the Nordic Stick, is to anchor he heels of the feet.

Having someone behind you anchoring your heels down by pushing on them is one way.

What I do is hook a Car Tow Strap around a Rack or Post so that it anchors my heels in place.

Floor Razor Curl Recommendations

1) Neck Packing

During Razor Curl, tucking the chin down into the chest (Neck Packing) place more of the workload on the Hamstrings and minimizes the back involvement.

2) Banded Razor Curls

a) Reverse Band Loading

For indivudual who need assistance in the Razor Curl Movement; anchor Bands to a Rack or Post behind you and then loop them around the Ab Wheel. This Band Set Up decreases the loading once you are fully extened (your weak point).

It assist you in pulling the Ab Wheel back

The video below demonstrates Reverse Band Loading as a means assistancing in performing Ab Wheel Training,

Ab Wheel Hack - Use Bands to Help

This methiod is employed with Razor Curl, as well.

b) Ascending Strength Band Loading

The use of Band Loading for Ascending Strength Curve Exerises (Squats, Pressing, Deadlifts, etc) ensure Reisistance is maintained through a larger range of the Movement. anchoring the the Band to a Rack or Post in front of you increase as you perform a Floor Razor Curls Contraction,

Ab Rollouts... But Harder

This Ab Wheel video demonstrates the loading effect that is also achieved with Floor Razor Curl Contractions.

How do you program it?

Hamstrings

The Hamstrings are Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber.

"Hamstrings should be trained with heavy weights and low reps because they’re 70% fast twitch, ..."
How your different muscle fibre types affect muscle development
-types-affect-muscle-growth-1f497dac8674#:~:text=For%20example%2C%20hamstrings%20should%20be,they're%20mostly%20slow%20twitch.

Have been doing Nordic Curls on my iso board for the resistance component of my hybrid workouts. Ankles braced under strap, knees on a padded bag, I use a sandbag to brace my drop.

Normally can do a controlled lower for a few reps and a concentric with a light push off my fingertips. Initially was a concerned I might hurt myself but all good after several weeks.

The one thing I don’t like is no hip flexion to put the hamstrings at their longest length. Have also taken to eliminating the top 25% or so since there is virtually no strain on the muscle at that point in the ROM.

Back
Top Bottom