all posts post new thread

Old Forum normal sleep vs kettlebell sleep

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TravisS

Level 5 Valued Member
My schedule changed a couple months ago when my wife gave birth to my second son. Ever since I’ve been getting considerably less sleep. A month ago I got into kettlebells and even with less sleep I feel rested and rejuvenated. I love it!

I read that other people also notice this…..
Anyone else?

I've been training hard this spring with a pretty high volume of running, rucking, kettlebells, etc.

When our child was born recently I took some days off my normal program and did S&S with a bell size smaller than I normally would use.  A 24kg instead of the 32kg.  It felt great.  I was glad to get some work in and not be worn out.  And the wife doesn't complain about me doing my own thing for 30 min.  Where as a good rucking session would take me a few hours and have a much higher recovery cost.  Probably unsustainable on 4 hours of sleep.

Baby is fed and sleeping now...time to get off the internet and squeeze in a session.

Travis, my kids are older now and didn't train much at all during my older one's early years, spending most of the first 3 years in a dream like sleep deprived state. The odd run and random body weight was it.  My younger one slept well. Your kid's sleep pattern will dictate yours. I took a long time adjusting to parenthood and knowing what I know now, and what you clearly know already, stress plays a big part in training goals. You are absolutely right, scaling back, keeping things ticking over, is the way to go. Don't let the training disturb your precious time with your kids though. The early years are special and they really don't last long.

I practice at 5am before I get ready for work so it doesn't interfere with anyone's time except mine..... either sleep for an hour or practice..... I feel better when I grab the bells than sleeping another hour....

only been doing S&S for about 4 days and feeling stronger already

Good for you, 5 am! Had I discovered the get up back then I would have incorporated it with a bonding session. As your little one grows, use him/her for a get up, as they get heavier, you get stronger! Win, win. They'd love it too, bit of rough and tumble, few giggles. I used to spend hours with my toddler on my back crawling around. Probably why my knees are goosed. Get ups, weighted crawling with your kid. 2 birds, one stone, lot of fun and functional to boot!

I've definitely noticed this. I use kettlebells for conditioning and to supplement my barbell work. I have a very simple kettebell program/add-on that I started about 6 months ago. I do 10 sets of 5 two handed swings with the beast, about 2 to 3 days a week.

Nothing else has changed in the past six months other than the addition of the swings. I notice when I head to bed I fall asleep much more quickly!

this has been one of the best secondary benefits of S&S for me.  I had been struggling thru a number of painful conditions around my hips and shoulders which made sleeping difficult, very restless and up often in the middle of the night after rolling the wrong way.  S&S and crawling has helped "cure" my imbalances.  now, when I lay down to sleep I try to find that spot that's painful, and there is none, so I melt into the mattress and sleep like a baby.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom