all posts post new thread

Old Forum Not progressing with Pistols

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bing3r

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello all,

I'm pretty frustrated with my lack of progress in my Pistols. I can successfully do a box-squat pistol below knee level without difficulty, but I've stalled and can't get into a deep pistol (outside of performing negatives only).

Typically, I work pistols 2-3 times a week and do ladders up to 4 repetitions. When the weather's nice I go outside and use a suspended chain for balance as I attempt deeper squats, but always find that I'm pulling myself up. Otherwise I do box-squat pistols in a 5x5 style.

Any recommendations for programming? Unfortunately, GTG is impractical to an extend, because I spend the day in a suit and tie.

Any tips and recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Bry

Bry, I would try reducing the volume to 10 total reps per session. You can do 5×2, 2×5, 3×3 (+1), 4,3,2,1, etc… there are many options. Keep intensity between 70-80% in each set. Often times, a decrease in volume should help you progress.

Otherwise you can use variety in your Pistols. Ex.: Slow/fast tempo. Pause midway and at the bottom. Try weighted negatives. Use a weight for the box Pistol, or lower the box by a little bit, say 1-2 inches. You can also try this: do a negative until you reach rock bottom, then put one hand on the floor. “Asisst” yourself by pushing of the floor with your hand as you go up.

Review the technique standards from the Naked Warrior book. Are you using tension hard enough? Are you “zipping up”? Are your abs, glutes, feet and hands strongly contracted? Are you Power Breathing? Etc… Make sure you check list everything and plug up any energy leaks you may have.

Good luck!

Bry, Louka has some good ideas there but I will clarify/expand a bit more and also ask a few questions.

What is your limiting factor?  Do you feel it's simply strength in the bottommost position?  If so, I like Louka's idea of slowing down the negative and pausing, even moving up and down a little, near your weakest point in the range of motion.    Try working up to several negatives, each done slowly, and with several minutes rest between each rep.  Do a few, probably not more than five, and call it a day.  Don't start the rep you're not sure you can finish in good form and, for this, that means continuing to maintain control all the way down.  When you can do five good negatives in a session, you're probably ready to try one full range again.

You might also simply try a slightly lower box than the one you're now using.

I would not use a weight because it makes the dynamics of the movement different - well, not a heavy weight.  You can try "barbie" weights to see if they help.  Start with a light dumbbell or simply a plate in each hand, and don't use more than 5 lbs apiece.  See if holding those at arm's length helps you, and experiment with different weights to find a "sweet spot", a weight that will let you complete a full-range pistol.  I learned to do my first bw pistols by working down in weight from 5 lbs. in each hand - I bought little dumbbells in 4, 3, 2, and 1 lb., and kept trying to use less weight until I could finally get a single rep with no counterbalance weight.

A video of your performing some variation of a pistol would be helpful.  Post it on YouTube or other public place, then include a link to it in your forum message.

-S-

Louka and Steve,

Thanks for your input. My limiting factor seems to be the bottom position. I fight to stay tight, but I tend to relax and then there's no coming out of it. Box-Pistols I can do all day long. My balance and strength definitely favors my right side as well, although I've been doing some form of pistol for quite some time now.

I'll post a video at my earliest opportunity. Thanks again!

That's a pretty rounded back you have there.  I would work on your hip and hamstring mobility - goblet squat, cossack stretch, hip flexor stretch.

I don't know if I can explain this in words, but your butt is tucking under much more than is ideal.  If your hips and hamstrings would allow you to keep your pelvis from tilting posteriorly so much, you'd have an easier time with your pistol.

I would like to next see a video of a goblet squat - if you can, do several variations: hold onto a support (power rack upright, door frame, etc.); use a kettlebell as a counter weight; use no support and no counterweight.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom