all posts post new thread

Old Forum NW Success & Deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ADombaj

First Post
I purchased the Naked Warrior a few years back and started using it. It took me a while to partially understand the genius idea behind it.
Now, sometimes when catch the time, I visit the local gym where most of the guys hate me because I can bench 140 kg (decline one arm pushups) and squat 180 kg (pistol squats + 40 kg) to test my strenght.
Is there something that I could do to further improve my deadlift without having to use the barbell? Swings? Handstand RLL? Weighted hyperextensions? I already do weighted/archer pullups.
What would Pavel recommend? :)
Thanks!

Probably deadlifting really. Your at a point where trsining the lift is the most obvious. Maybe high var squats or front squats.

Thanks Eric. NW has suited me so well because it is body-weight/hybrid stuff and I can use it during a break, when I'm at the playground with my kids or like the day before yesterday when I stopped the car on my way home, took a decent size stone and did a 5x5 of weighted pistols. Too much freedom has spoiled me.
I realize that with OAPs,one arm divebombers, weighted pistols, shrimps and pullups done with high tension I am covering everything, but lifting something heavy from the ground is so fundamental and seems so important, that I feel the need to be able to deadlift more.
On the other hand, I use the occasional powerlifts only to test my strength. My logic is: if I'm not powerlifting and I don't suck at powerlifting I cannot be week.

Full disclosure: I deadlift "stuff" (stones, logs, furniture :), maybe once per week) but it's really hard to use this as a training method, since most of the"stuff" is awkward to handle, sharp and hard to grip.

Alen, go with Kettlebell Simple & Sinister.

Also look at a recent article here on using the kettlebell snatch as the focus of training and what good results it's brought to competitors in the TSC, which includes a barbell deadlift.

http://www.strongfirst.com/how-we-train-for-the-tsc-at-tnt

Either could be effective for you in my opinion.  My own experience has been that the kettlebell snatch keeps my deadlift good better than any alternative except for a powerlifting style squat with a barbell.

-S-

Agree with Steve. Snatches, or double swings. Possibly single swings if heavy enough, and depending on style of deadlifting.

Great to hear, Alen!

You need to accustom your body to straining against a great load.  Isometric deadlifts would do that—from the starting position and halfway up the shin.  You need a pipe attached to a chain mounted onto something solid.

Thanks to everybody!

Pavel, I'll start with isometric deadlifts today. I'm already looking for bars/stuff that I can grip and pull. :)
Thanks for the brilliant book!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom