all posts post new thread

NY Times: How Long Does It Take to Get Fit Again?

I thought the best part was that the paywall was down for it (I still haven't convinced myself to fork out for a subscription). Thanks!

Don’t recall where I read this, maybe Q&D?, but Pavel said something along the lines of the more you train, the faster you detrain. As a non-competitive athlete, I’m looking for balance: just the right amount of training to gradually but steadily increase fitness but not so much that recovery, and detraining, become an issue. The poison is in the dose. Or something like that.

“You can regain approximately one-half of your fitness in 10 to 14 days with moderately hard workouts,” Dr. Coyle said.
I don't know if I buy this at all. It depends on how detrained you are - if you aren't particularly detrained, then maybe.
If you cannot afford several weeks of retraining, or simply want to get back in shape faster, you can do more intense workouts or incorporate interval training to speed up the process. “The higher the intensity,” Dr. Coyle said, “the faster the rebound.”
I don't know about this either. I realize it's just a short article for gen pop, but more isn't always better.

My takeaway is, during travel times and holidays, a few gtg sessions here and there can go a long way in order not to lose traction.

Best

Pavel cites Issuring & Lustig in ROTK. Here is a 2008 paper by Issurin.

This table gives some guidance on how long certain attributes usually linger on.

issurin-2008-block-periodization-jpg.9729

AFAIK, there is also research that stabilizing your adaptations will help you to retain them longer. (A layoff of 1 month will hit differently depending on your training age.)

I have found, through much trial and error, that when it comes to peaking for strength, 9-10 days AFTER my last moderately heavy training session is ideal for maximizing peak strength (i.e. peaking for a powerlifting competition). After ~12 days I'll start to get slowly weaker than before my last training session, and will have a noticeable decline in strength endurance.

I have found, through much trial and error, that when it comes to peaking for strength, 9-10 days AFTER my last moderately heavy training session is ideal for maximizing peak strength (i.e. peaking for a powerlifting competition). After ~12 days I'll start to get slowly weaker than before my last training session, and will have a noticeable decline in strength endurance.
That's interesting, that's a fairly long time. I feel like my strength starts dropping after about 6 days. But maybe it's just because I'm intermediate, idk. Lol

That's interesting, that's a fairly long time. I feel like my strength starts dropping after about 6 days. But maybe it's just because I'm intermediate, idk. Lol
Shouldn't be that quick unless you're really not moving (bedridden for example would rob you of strength quickly). Any taper would probably have at least a week to 10 days of lessened (but not zero) training.

Shouldn't be that quick unless you're really not moving (bedridden for example would rob you of strength quickly). Any taper would probably have at least a week to 10 days of lessened (but not zero) training.
Yeah I'll never take that much time off. Whenever I've been forced to I feel like I'm practically starting over. I'm talking about actually taking a full break tho.

Last edited:
I agree that it does SEEM like a long time, but it actually correlates pretty well with the few research studies I've read that asked this very question (i.e. when does strength start to degrade after cessation of training). There is a difference between squat/deadlift performance and movement using smaller muscles groups (i.e bench, OH press, etc). Strength seems to peak after about a week after last heavy session for me on the upper body lifts, but the full 10 days on the more systemically taxing deadlift and squat. Also not I have about 20 years of almost continuous training under my belt, so am most certainly at the higher end of training age/approaching my natural genetic potential.

Back
Top Bottom