all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Off topic: Weird/random question for lefties

bluejeff

Level 7 Valued Member
I am trying to do some searching online to figure this out, but haven't had much extra time, so I thought I would take a shot here and see if anyone has any experiences/input.

I was "born" right-handed, but around 2015-2016 I developed focal dystonia in my right hand. You can google about it, but it's essentially a movement disorder than caused me loss of control over my right hand, in addition to painful spasms and more. Long story short, I was able to rehab it back to 90-something% normal.

However, during the course of that time, I had to learn to use my left hand to do pretty much everything. For the most part this wasn't terrible, but I had to learn to write left handed as well, so I could function in the world. Once I got into school, my left neck and shoulder suddenly became problematic, tightening up a lot, causing issues during strength training, hedaches, and more. I have learned a TON about posture and biomechanics since, and this issue is mostly better, except ... I am pretty convinced it developed from having to write left handed as a right handed person, because I often find myself rotating my body to the right and sort of retracting my left shoulder in an effort to see what I am writing.

Now, I have a lot of trouble doing any horizontal pressing in training, because my body is sort of chronically twisted this way. I'm trying to figure out how to live/write/etc so this goes away and I can just do these movements without issue again.

When writing left handed, I have tried learning to write "hook" style, as well as by turning the paper to the right and gripping the pen/pencil higher so I am sort of writing "under" the line I am on. The latter generally feels better, but if I get in a hurry, or find myself intensely focused, I wind up leaning over again.

I should note that I can write right-handed again, depending on how I am feeling. Some days it is still a little tricky. So I can't just stop writing left handed all together.

So my question is just whether any lefties on here have experienced similar issues with backs, necks, shoulders, etc. My theory/question is whether having to find a way to see what one is writing on paper as a left hander causes one to lean/twist the body habitually. It doesn't seem like it would be much of an issue for other activites, as you can just "mirror" what a right-hander would do.

Natural lefties, how do you write? Do you get neck tension a lot? Any tips?

I'm a natural lefty and I do turn the paper and hook my wrist, but I can't say it's caused any particular physical problems. My biggest problem with writing as a lefty is smearing ink. I only use fine point pens because they smear less, and pretty much can't use a felt tip or roller ball pen without lots of smearing. As a teacher, I've had to learn to write on chalk boards or white boards without my hand touching the board, which I can do on a vertical surface, but is very awkward on a horizontal surface when I'm using pen and paper.

These days I do a lot of work on a laptop and mostly use the touch pad with my right hand, which often results in tightness and discomfort in my right wrist and forearm.

My other ergonomic nemesis is progressive glasses, which require the computer screen to be below eye level, but also require me to tilt my head up to be able to see through the right part of the lens at computer distance. It's a recipe for a hunched, chin-forward position that leads to a lot of neck and upper back tightness.

These days I do a lot of work on a laptop and mostly use the touch pad with my right hand, which often results in tightness and discomfort in my right wrist and forearm.

My other ergonomic nemesis is progressive glasses, which require the computer screen to be below eye level, but also require me to tilt my head up to be able to see through the right part of the lens at computer distance. It's a recipe for a hunched, chin-forward position that leads to a lot of neck and upper back tightness.
Regarding the touch pad: I think that's kind of what happens to me when I write. My theory is that when using your naturally non-dominant side, your body has a hard time stabilizing what needs to be stable and letting the arm and hand move freely. In other words, I think that since the non-dominant side has less fine coordination, the body tenses up certain things in an attempt to control it better.

I had to get an adjustable, multi-level desk so my computer is at the right height for it to not give me issues.

I also have to do a lot of hand-writing, because I have to do a lot of math in school.

I'm a lefty but I don't write w. the pronounced hook I see some write with.

I don't think I've ever experienced any undue upper back/neck issues that anyone else wouldn't experience but I don't know, I guess. I do some things like cutting w. scissors, bowling, shooting (basketball or gun) right-handed - I don't know why. I'm right-eyed, so maybe that has something to do w. it - again, I don't know.

I'm a lefty and my handwriting is so awful I can barely say I know how to write. My six yo daughter has better handwriting than me. I guess I kind of gave up after the university when I started doing all the writing with the computer.

I'm not aware of any issues with handwriting, but I barely do it. Can't you just try to avoid it and type?

Can't you just try to avoid it and type?
Unfortunately no. I am a physics/math student, so a great deal of my work right now is working things out on paper. Plus I have always enjoyed hand writing, and I used to make a lot of visual art before my right hand developed its problems

I am going to try and use the right a bit more, when it cooperates, to see if it helps. I believe I know the underlying postural problem, but it's quite difficult to maintain awareness of it throughout the day.

Now I will look forward to my professor's asking why it looks like someone else maybe did my homework for me sometimes....

Have you considered an exorcism?

You know, because left handedness means being affiliated with being a tool of the Devil and what not.
Nope, it's just way too nice on the dark side. On top of the usual benefits that come with any club membership, we don't have to fear the Devil - and we have cookies :)

As for the writing, I mostly turn the paper/notebook a little and write under the line...no neck/shoulder other issues that I can attribute to the writing. But as others have mentioned, I also barely do it...although I am forcing myself to take notes by hand rather than in some random file...

Back
Top Bottom