all posts post new thread

Old Forum Once a week lifts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

tigheguy

Level 5 Valued Member
what is the minimum volume you could hit something like the deadlift or squat and still make strength gains ? I no ES is 10 reps a day and there's a lot on 5x5 just would like to hear some peoples opinions ?

thanks

Scott, I think whether or not you make progress on one deadlift day per week depends a lot on the rest of your program.

E.g., powerlifters sometimes only DL 1x/week but their style of squatting has a lot in common with the deadlift and when their squat gets better, often their deadlift does, too.

Speaking for myself, 1x/week would only work if it was 1x/week heavy and there was something else in my week, either light DLs or another lift, that would help.

-S-

I would guess you could do once a week and make gains. Starting strength has a pretty low DL volume, but cleans are programmed also and squats are done every workout.  The one lift a day program obviously has them done pretty minimally.

What kind of program do have in mind?  I think it will depend a lot on the other work you are doing.  I actually am pretty sure that doing S&S will contribute to my DL.  I have never swung a half bodyweight KB so much before, and had it feel so easy.

thank you very much for you input, My idea is something a long the lines of S&S with a deadlifts and some pressing movment one day and squats and a pull up movement the other day. So it would look like

mon - Dead lift and some presses - not sure about sets and reps yet

tues - S&S

wed off

thurs - Squats and pull ups

friday - S&S

been toying with idea of 5/3/1 for bb work

anymore suggestions woiuld be great

I am running this until I hit a wall with a reset or two.

Mon-Squat Bear Protocol adding 5lbs every workout

Bench-Bear protocol adding 5lbs every workout

1 Arm Row 3 sets heavy usually and I superset with bench

Tues-SS swings and getups

Wed-Off

Thurs-Squats adding 5lbs, Press bear protocol, 1 set of 5DL moving up 10lbs per session right now.

Frid-SS swings and getups currently using 32 for getups and adding a 88lb every other session, swings are with the 28kg right now

Sat/Sun off

I usually add weighted pull-ups before SS on Frid. All lifts are reps that I know I am going to get and I always leave a rep or two in the bank. Pullups are heavy and usually run 5-3-2 for reps.

I am scaring the crap out of 50yo and I always have to watch my recovery. Anyway this is what I am running.

FYI I came up with this from Pavels SS book and also from his programming article a while back.

Hello scott tighe,

what is the minimum volume you could hit something like the deadlift or squat and still make strength gains ?

This is impossible to answer without knowing more about you, your past training, training age, etc. It would also depend a lot on the rest of the program.

What are your goals with the program you outlined above?

My goals are to gain strength in the deadlift and maintain my squat if not bump it up a little  like I said I plan to do S&S two days a week and strength the other two days  thinking abot the 5/3/1 program on Monday and Thursday. With some pull ups  and squats on monday and deadlifts and presses on Thursday .

I am 28 years old  I've been training with kettlebells for 7 years and been weightlifting  for about 10 years

5/3/1 would work, 5x5 would work, any basic linear progression would probably do something for you, definitely. Some things to think about:

-how long has it been since you did barbell lifts?

-what kind of weights are you working with now and what do they feel like?

-with your time doing GS, you probably have a very high tolerance for volume training in the lower body. Only one work set (5/3/1) might not be the most efficient approach for you.

-Are you going to be doing any kettlebell lifting other than S&S?

-Do you plan on returning to compete in GS? (I forget whether you got MS in LC... if that is still a goal in the back of your mind my advice would be different, than if you never intended to do GS again, for example).

I've been on 5/3/1 and made steady gains especially in the squat. I've been on S&S since I finished my second read.  I do S&S pretty much every day as recommended in the book and go to the gym twice a week to get my power lifts in.  Day 1 is squat and press.  Day 2 is dead lift and bench press.

Im treating S&S as assistance lifts to the big 4 which really works out for me.  Swings work out the posterior chain which assists squats and deadlifts. TGUs assist presses.   S&S is my GPP and 5/3/1 is my SPP.

I must emphasize that it works for ME. Before 5/3/1 I was on Starting strength, then the Texas method (5x5) and took full advantage of the fast gains that only a beginner and intermediate lifter can make.  The stronger (and older) you get the slower the gains.  If you are past beginner and intermediate gains 5/3/1 is great.  If you are not, 5/3/1 will still work but you could do better to gain strength faster. If deadlifting and squatting once a week is more important than rapid gains you could be making otherwise then 5/3/1 is just fine.

Aris,

as of right now I'm nit sure what my plans are, I did not make MS longcycle I was shy 2 reps and then developed shoulder tenditious and brucitis so I have to let these heal and keep upper body moventments to a minimum and it's mostly body weight and get ups.

Most likely S&S will be my only kb work for now because I keep aggravating my shoulder and I want to let it heal once and for all before I make up my mind about future goals.

I have been doing deadlifts for a long time but recently been pushing the weight 300 is comfortable for the deadlift at the moment, squats I've been doing front squats with 185 just mainly practicing barbell movements for now.

My main goal is to up my strength levels but stay friendly with kettlebells as they are one of my favorite tools for fitness.

Makes sense, Scott. If you're just getting back to it but have decent strength levels, and only twice a week to train (once for each lift), a basic linear cycle might work pretty well.

Something like, start with ~65% 1RM, 4x8 for 3 weeks, 4x6 for 3 weeks, 4x4 for 3 weeks, 4x2 for 3 weeks. Same weight for all sets, add 10lb each week. Once that runs its course, re-test your maxes and you can do 5/3/1 or something with shorter mesocycles.

Thank you Aris,

where do you get or find templates like this one you just wrote about ? I'm interested in this types of progressions for strength ?

thanks

Scott, Happy New Year, I did 5/3/1 for about 7 months and made steady gains.  Don't worry/bother with the assistance work.  Just do pullups or dips in between sets of everything.  Sets of 3-5.

I did the squats and deadlifts together.  Squats first.  That way, I only had to hit the gym twice.

Hey brian thanks, same to you.

I like that idea very much kinda along the lines I was first thinking, I am thinking of 5/3/1 for lower body since there not effected by my tendenitious  And Aris idea for upper body since it will allow me to ease into upper body work.

When you say you hit squats and deads together, are you saying in the same session ?

Yes together, when I did it, I used the program where you squatted every session.   I liked the way the squats helped to loosen and open up the hips, so I did them together.

Check out the SFL fool proof cycle.  I PR'ed on all four lifts during an 11 week cycle.  MP, BP, Squat and DL done one time per week.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom