all posts post new thread

Old Forum One arm push up and bench press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

alf

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi guys in term of  pure strength ,how much  oap  can help bench press?

How seriously strong can you become from OAP?

will my bench press going up only doing OAP?

thanks

It depends.

What is your bench at right now?

OAP will really help you learn to create massive amounts of tension. Tension  is really helpful for a max effort bench.

However, while OAP will strengthen your triceps the two movements are very distinct. Chances are, unless you have a weak bench, solely focusing on OAP will not provide that much of a benefit.

Hope this helps.

thank Andy! My bp is 1+ 1/4 bw... With  OAP I'm able to perform even 8 -10 each arm!

weighted dip : my body plus more then half bw!

alf,  let me share with You with my own experience. I began doing OAPs two years ago and after, say, eight months I visited my friend who had bench and barbell in his appartment. I was never at the gym before and I had absolutely no experience with bench press. With a little hesitation, I asked him to put 221 lbs of iron on the barbell and to asecurate me with serious engagement. I bench pressed it twice, put it away and, positively astonished, told him to put on this barbell every piece of iron he had. So he put 243. And I pressed is as well.

Never bench pressed in my life before. So yes, OAPs are definitely working.

I believe my bodyweight at the time was about 180 lbs, by the way, so it was about 1,3 of my bodyweight

Keep in mind, though--as the Chief pointed out in the "best press" article, when a trainee becomes proficient enough at one-arm pushups, the drill becomes much more of a gut worker than an arm/chest/shoulder builder any longer.  I can also personally vouch for this one.

By all means, master the OAPU.  The tension generation you acquire from doing so is priceless (the oohs and aahs from the cardio bunnies is a bonus).  I firmly believe it was diligent work on this that bagged me my first one-arm chinup, and I hadn't so much as touched the bar for weeks at the time.

However, if you're determined to bench and your OAPUs aren't yet at the point of diminishing returns (I'd suggest when you can do more than 10 reps each arm with perfect Naked Warrior-form at a three seconds concentric/hold for a count at the bottom/three seconds eccentric, find yourself  and new pushing exercise and simply practice the OAPU on occasion to remind yourself you can still do them), I'd recommend some block training.  Two weeks of benching, two weeks of OAPUs and then re-evaluate three months from now.

And please let the forum know when that time comes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom