all posts post new thread

Barbell One Day of Lifting/Week

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If you're not planning to compete, is it a big deal if your lifts backslide for the intermediate term?
If you are planning to compete, it's still important that your lifts backslide, IMO. It's what cycling is all about.

-S-

I’ve definitely made progress on once weekly training when the goal was hypertrophy but I was nearly killing myself in that one session. But with six days to recover what’s the reason for not nearly killing yourself? So I wouldn’t do anything like the wimpy 5x5 suggested above but I would do five hard sets close to failure of exercises covering every muscle group. On the days off sleep well and eat more protein. You will get big but not as quickly as you would using higher frequency programs
Six days to 'recover' could entail some long hours at work, forays into austere environments and other things that tax my recovery so a conservative sets/reps/loading scheme is best advised.

I'm curious how others on this forum might handle having only a single day/week to lift a barbell here.
Dr Fred Hatfield: Muscle Recovery
A Scientifid Approach
Page 4

"An attempt is made to train each muscle when it is ready to be trained - never sooner, and never later."

Hatfield's Muscle Data For Recovery Days

1) Quadriveps: 4.5 Days

2) Biceps: 3 Days

3) Pecs: 3.5 Days

4) Cakves: .83 Days

The Take Home Message

Generally, Lager Muscle Groups require longer Recovery Periods than Smaller Muscle Groups.

Squats and Deadlifts

Both these movement involve the same muscle group.

Thus, training the Squat and Deadlift once a week (as many Powerlifters do) it usually enough.

Bench Press

1) Recovery Time

Less recovery time is needed for the Bench Press. Somewhere in a 3-4 Day Recovery Period.

This lead us to...

2) Training Pressing Muscles Twice A Week

As noted above, the Squat and Deadlift engage the same muscle groups. Thus, those muscle are worked twice a week

With that in mind, including another Pressing Day into a Week Training Session, should be considered.

It can be an Auxiliary Pressing Exercise: Shoulder Press, Incline Press, Decline Press, Dips, etc.

The Deadlift

As Dr Tom McLaughlin noted in his article referenced a few days ago on the StrongFirst forum; the back is quickly and easily OverTrained, with many individual. For these individual, limiting Deadlift Training Frequency is usually necessary.

That in part to the...

Lower Back Exercise Involvement

The Lower Back (Erectors) are involved in Squats and most Standing Movement; which many overlook.

Some individuals find Deadlift Training for them is optimized by training it every 10-14 Days.

This takes us back to Hatfield's, "...Train each muscle when it is ready to be trained..."
It's what cycling is all about.
Periodization Cycle Training

This is the foudation of a well written plan. It works for everyone.

A Training Cycle that starts off easy. The loading is increased each week. With the final week push at or close to the limit.

It is the follow with a New Training Cycle that starts over. This approach proviedes Active Recovery that enables the muscles to recovery.

Recovery where strength and/or size is increased, dependent on how the program is designed.

Short Term Deload-Reload Approach

This approach provides short term results comparative to a well written and performed Periodization Training Program.

If you are planning to compete, it's still important that your lifts backslide, IMO. It's what cycling is all about.

-S-

My off-season maintenance mode is already back-slid from my meet mode. ;)

And you don't want it to slide too far.

Last edited:
Six days to 'recover' could entail some long hours at work, forays into austere environments and other things that tax my recovery so a conservative sets/reps/loading scheme is best advised.
You know your own capacity so I’m not disputing that but the weekly program you’ve outlined has, at its toughest, three sets approaching “heavy”. With respect, that’s less than what you see in some people who train daily. And it’s more like the intensity that grandma experiences when she does the weekly shop. You don’t want to look like grandma, do you? I just can’t see how the adaptive response from such a mild workout at such infrequency is going to match any goal. If your other six days weekly are as strenuous you should probably be sleeping in on your workout day, not lifting barbells at all. At the very least (in my humble opinion) you should be maxing out (and regularly setting a PR) on each of your lifts on your workout day.

Hello, if you are ok with HIT I would suggest articles and books from Ellington Darden, John Little, Doug Mcguff and Drew Baye.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom