all posts post new thread

Barbell OP instructional

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

marcelotine

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello folks. Are there any good OP instructional videos that you can recommend? I have watched Rip's art of manliness one - but I don't want to do the OP with the hip movement thing he does. I suppose I could do everything else as he is teaching it and skip that bit - but I was wondering if there other good reliable technique videos out there.
Thanks.

Hello folks. Are there any good OP instructional videos that you can recommend? I have watched Rip's art of manliness one - but I don't want to do the OP with the hip movement thing he does. I suppose I could do everything else as he is teaching it and skip that bit - but I was wondering if there other good reliable technique videos out there.
Thanks.

There is a thorough press instructional in the StrongFirst barbell Online course: StrongFirst: Training Center

Pavel’s book “Power to the People: Professional” has a very in depth look at the training, technique and exercises related to the press. For those who’d love to master the barbell lifts, this is an incredible guide.

What do you think of his hand positioning - wrist rolled back? I thought you should press with the wrist straight, as if you were punching someone
With a kettlebell, yes; with a barbell, no: For the bar to sit across the palm directly above the forearm, the wrist needs to be somewhat extended. I'd never press with a thumbless grip though.

What do you think of his hand positioning - wrist rolled back? I thought you should press with the wrist straight, as if you were punching someone
Good question, the best answer to which is simply to try it for yourself.

For me, the extended wrist position is very comfortable as someone who favours the front squat. Though the hand is back the wrist bones and elbow stack much better under the bar, especially with the suicide grip I find - "bone-on-bone" as Hawthorne emphasizes.

Combined with the "hollow hold" - knees slightly bent and pressing straight up through the weight from chin-height - this finally made BB pressing feel good on the lower-back as well as stable and strong hands down through shoulders to the feet throughout the movement for me.

When I used to press with wrists flexed straighter, the bar would be ahead of me and so would have to compensate with backward lean that made the lower-back grumpy.

Credit Hawthorne's hollow-hold press for shoulders that can go heavy with the kb snatch up to four times a week no problem. BTW, he is also top-notch on deadlift technique:

Last edited:
I'd never press with a thumbless grip though.
If you were pressing a thick bar or an even more awkwardly-shaped object, where would your thumbs be?

For me thumbless-suicide is the key to getting properly wedged (chest-up, lats-engaged) beneath the weight through the heels of the hands: on top of this positive tension reckon good irradiation results from having all those muscles across the base of the palms supporting weight in a non-concentrically contracted state...

Last edited:
If you were pressing a thick bar or an even more awkwardly-shaped object, where would your thumbs be?
Good point! I was referring to pressing a barbell of conventional thickness (25-32mm). When it comes to larger more unwieldy objects, my thumbs will go wherever they have to.

I have been known to use a thumbless set-up when I bench press to get wedged in under the bar and it does work really well, but I would always wrap my thumb before unracking the bar: I've observed too many instances of a heavy bar slipping from the lifter's hands (in some cases even when they had their thumb wrapped around the bar) and crashing on their chest to be comfortable using a thumbless grip.

The risk is mitigated when doing overhead press as you'd be able to get out of the way much easier if anything went wrong so if your overhead press feels stronger with a thumbless grip, go for it.

I agree. Hold the bar over the wrist with a tiny bit of wrist flexion. Just like the bench press. And along that line, grip the bar so that it's not too deep in the hand on the pinky side.

I have used the thumbless grip for a long time on bench, OP and squats. I think there are quite a few benefits to doing so.

1) the freedom of shoulder range. After I tore my pec/labrum, it almost became essential to use a thumbless. When you hook the thumb around the bar, it locks the shoulder into a restricted position. This may be okay for those who’ve never suffered shoulder injury, but for those who need a little leeway, it’s a game changer.

2) the thumbless grip also allows me to load the bar further down the palm, at the base of where the thumb would be. I find this position allows for better wrist alignment and support above the forearm and the bar is more centered over the joint.

The main drawbacks I hear are...

1) “you cannot squeeze the bar as tightly.” This may be true, but I’ve never found this to be a limit in my strength on the lift. You are still squeezing the bar immensely without the thumb. I find the better shoulder and wrist position makes up for this. When doing a OAP, we still squeeze the floor, even with an open palm.

2)” the bar may slip out and cause injury.” Never (knock on wood) have I lost the bar, even on pressed that I missed. I usually am forced to do my OH presses sans rack, meaning I clean the weight first. My fingers have become strong enough to clean my press weights with a thumbless grip.

As far as pressing with no thumb, it is also mentioned in PTTP Professional as a viable option. Jim Wendler and Christian Thibaudeau both also advocate its use as well.

Here’s CT’s article

For me thumbless-suicide is the key to getting properly wedged (chest-up, lats-engaged) beneath the weight through the heels of the hands: on top of this positive tension reckon good irradiation results from having all those muscles across the base of the palms supporting weight in a non-concentrically contracted state...

I actually tried the thumbless/suicide grip overhead press today. It made a massive difference to my pressing strength and I was able to press 50kg/110lbs for a couple sets of 4 when my previous max was 3 at that weight.

It really wasn't all that scary either. Still not sure I'd chance it on the bench but I've absolutely come around to it for the overhead press.

Just felt the need to share.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom