all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance Other applications of SE

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

King Cobra Fit

Matt - CSEP-CPT, SFG I, FMS I&II
Hey Everyone,
I'm honored to be here.

I just wanted to share a couple of things that I've played with since coming back from the Strong Endurance Course in Portland.

I'm a Fitness Instructor for the Canadian Armed Forces (Civilian) and I work at our west coast navy base. The Navy is a different animal than the Army in that fitness isn't as high of a priority (unfortunately this is the culture that we currently have but we are working to change that). typically the classes I teach have 1/2 people who want to be there and 1/2 people who don't but are forced to. This mix has constantly given us issues. How do you ensure the members who want to be here get a good training session while not over working, scaring away or injuring the ones who don't. Enter Strong Endurance! The protocols are quite modifiable and allow the members to work at their own pace, or for me to "meet them where their at". They give everyone a sense of accomplishment at the end of the sessions and no one is sick or hating life, which is a win in my books.

The other class that I have to teach once per week is a spin class. I dislike spin (dishonorable cardio haha), but since applying the SE principles to my spin classes I've actually started to enjoy them, and I think the regulars to the class have been as well.
I use sprints from 10-20 sec with w:r ratios in the 1:2-1:4 range with 3-8 min Tempo rides added at the end. My instructions for all drills are as follows
- Light local fatigue
- Light congestion or pump
- No burn
Sound familiar? haha

Has anyone else played with the protocols or principles outside of our normal modalities?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back