all posts post new thread

Other Exercises for AXE

BJJForever

Level 3 Valued Member
Since I have some Hip issues, heavy swings are out of question. What about other exercises? What about Airbike Sprints? Any sugesstions?

Since I have some Hip issues, heavy swings are out of question. What about other exercises? What about Airbike Sprints? Any sugesstions?
Should work.

Maybe adjust work and rest times:
Pavel in AXE said:
a long sprint on a bicycle produces twice as much lactic acid as a set of all-out squat jumps of the same duration.

I would try something like 4-8 second sprints OTM, or even OT75 to begin with and adjust it from there.

However, the airbike might be better suited for 044 timing (given the high pace).

Haven't tried it with AXE, but I love sprinting in stairs. Very knee, ankle and hip friendly. It also keeps you accelerating every step. You also don't have to slow down, since gravity is doing that for you. In terms of time until exhaustion it is relatively similar to swings. Five to ten seconds of sprinting in stairs will leave increase your heart frequency and your breathing.

Back when Q&D first came out, I used the air bike for that with what I thought was successful.
It was 15 second sprints.
With this new protocol, I was feeling 6 seconds might be a little short in time.
My reasoning is that from a stand still, it take a few seconds to get up to full speed.
So I was thinking more like 8 seconds or even 9.
But 6 seconds would work if you started your OTM from a rolling start.

I hurt my back recently and I am going to also give this a try on my assault bike.
Good luck BJJForever

Screenshot_20240407_222620_Kindle.jpg
Pavel recommended single bell Jerks, but I prefer doubles, so I've been using alternating Push Presses (two bells in the rack, but only one goes up at a time).

It's been working well for me, but we'll have to see how it works long term.

They may not work with your hip issues though...

View attachment 24524
Pavel recommended single bell Jerks, but I prefer doubles, so I've been using alternating Push Presses (two bells in the rack, but only one goes up at a time).

They may not work with your hip issues though...
My interpretation is that the AXE Plan laid out in the book is not suitable for double jerks. Not that double jerks themselves are not suitable for AXE generally.

My interpretation is that the AXE Plan laid out in the book is not suitable for double jerks. Not that double jerks themselves are not suitable for AXE generally.
I agree with this. The KBSF Clean and Jerk plan progresses from single to double bell by tweaking the parameters of the program for example.

Since he specifically referred to heavy swings, I assumed he was talking about the plan in the book.

I agree with this. The KBSF Clean and Jerk plan progresses from single to double bell by tweaking the parameters of the program for example.
Based on KBSF I would also think that one should maybe start by halving the reps from AXE (1,2,3 instead of 2,4,6) when trying it with Double LCCJs or lower the reps by a count of 1 (1,3,5,) when doing it with Double Jerks, possibly also going for intermediate steps. However, I am also curious what the "Heavy Metal" course will offer in terms of programming (which was announced in Speed Metal as a course on Double LCCJs) once it comes out.

Edit:
Said another way: When doing it with doubles, count the cleans as reps by themselves, including the initial clean before doing jerks.

Last edited:
Sandbag clean, focus on being explosive. Checked with Brett on SE and he gave it the thumbs up. Working up to 40 minutes will be a lot of work. Feels good.

In SEE there s numerous examples of different exercises... The serial method section gives 3 different templates or examples from sprints to heavy bag work

Based on KBSF I would also think that one should maybe start by halving the reps from AXE (1,2,3 instead of 2,4,6) when trying it with Double LCCJs or lower the reps by a count of 1 (1,3,5,) when doing it with Double Jerks, possibly also going for intermediate steps. However, I am also curious what the "Heavy Metal" course will offer in terms of programming (which was announced in Speed Metal as a course on Double LCCJs) once it comes out.

Edit:
Said another way: When doing it with doubles, count the cleans as reps by themselves, including the initial clean before doing jerks.
Wait.

Wait wait wait.

There’s an upcoming course on double LCCJ called Heavy Metal!?

Apparently my Excitement level goes to 11 now!

Wait.

Wait wait wait.

There’s an upcoming course on double LCCJ called Heavy Metal!?

Apparently my Excitement level goes to 11 now!
"Metal Heart" is the A+A for type IIA fibers... Its more endurance based with light/moderate weight, shorter rest than AXE, and more volume

Its in the AXE book I believe where it talks about a course on metal heart application to the LCCJ

Back
Top Bottom