all posts post new thread

Old Forum outside the LEG KETTLEBELL SWING what are they good for? (pavel? MARK REIFKIND?)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

scilla

Level 5 Valued Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ayV1sDqI0

These swings are also mentioned by Mike Mahler, and by Pavel in The Russian Kettlebell Challenge. I must say that I practised them with dumbbells when I didn't have  kettlebells because a dumbbell swing between the legs seemed awkward whereas these were more practical for me. Of course, the leg stance must be very close, they can be dangerous for the knees. What are they especially good for? What are its main advantages? Some time ago I read an article that recommended them to powerlifters. I would like you, more knowledgeable people, share what you know about them. IMHO it is a good option for hip hinging, especially, I repeat, if you can afford only dumbbells.

This is a staple in Mike Mahler’s training. He’s incredibly STRONG. I don’t want to pump up another website, but check out MikeMahler.com. Good stuff. Great dude.

He believes that outside the leg swings build up the Hamstrings better and help prep for bigger Deadlifts. I honestly haven't tried them.

just as a side note... Maybe the reason he does Outside-the-leg swings is because he can't fit Double 88s between his legs!!!

If you deadlift sumo, you might consider the outside-the-legs swings as a substitute for the conventional stance DL, and therefore an assistance exercise or an alternative to your competitive form.

-S-

yah, it's dicey. Watch your knees. I got clubbells for this type of training after playing with it with kbs a few times. Not worth the risk to me.

My two cents:

Swinging outside the legs defeats many of the purposes of the hardstyle swing. Trying to activate your lats during the load when the arms are forced out and to the side, away from the body is darn difficult, if not dangerous when the bells are outside the legs. The stress on the shoulders (wait 'til you're older on this one), particularly on the anterior delts is murder when using larger bells as many times, your arms and hands are going much wider than your shoulders.

Outside the leg swings with lighter bells may be safer, but why do it?

Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety, but if there isn't a reason for me to do something apart from just doing it, I'm just not interested, especially when it compromises safety.

And turn that music down...

Many thanks for your feedback. As I said, I used them only when I didn't have kettlebells.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom