all posts post new thread

Old Forum Pacemakers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

teabbey

First Post
Hey folks,

Recently picked up a client with a pacemaker.  She's 25 and was born with a stage 3 heart block.  Her condition has required 4 surgeries over her lifetime and she's currently on her second pacemaker.  Grew up as a dancer and wants desperately to be fit and to work hard.  However, there is a plethora of conflicting advice on pacemaker patients.  Some studies indicate there is no issue at all with leads being damaged or becoming disconnected due to motions.  On the other hand, most reports indicate NO over-head action, no swinging (in reference to tennis or golf), and very limited upper body strength motions.  In fact, her cardiologist has listed a max upper body limit of 25lbs.

Would love to hear any advice or experiences that you all may have.

Be STRONG,

Tom

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare."~Juma Ikangaa.

I doubt if there is ANY hard evidence that shows overhead work is bad for the pacemakers. However, the cardio doc is higher up in the food chain, so you gotta defer to him.

Heavy swings should be fine. ;)

My mom just had a pace maker put in 6 weeks ago.

All the things you mentioned were true for her as well fpr the past six weeks.After a doc visit yesterday she is cleared to do her normal activities.It was my understanding that the leads needed time for the muscle to grow around and secure them.She can lift things overhead and moderate to light things like her dog.I would take the advice or speak to your clients doctor yourself to get a better understanding what your able to with her.

Good luck!

One of my regular training partners has this - the only thing we've found so far is that racking a barbell doesn't work because the bar actually lays on the gadget.  Short of that, he seems to have no limitations in his overhead movement.  He's in his late 40's, about 6' and 200 lbs., and has this weird condition where his heart stops beating every once in a while and he faints - so he had the device implanted as his doctor recommended.  He's on his second one so far, used the first one for 5 years until the batteries ran out, and he never had any problem with overhead lifting of kettlebells.

-S-

Thanks for your input everyone! Rambodoc, turns out her first pacemaker had to be replaced due to a detached lead/broken wire.  Equipment was faulty and her activity level caused the corroded wire to break. The cardiologist was the first person I contacted, but he refused to give me anything more profound than 'no upper body greater than 25lbs.'

Steve and Steve, really appreciate the feedback!  My client is cautious, but open to a well educated approach.  Being able to pick your brains is always helpful in providing that.

ta

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom