all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Paul chek work

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Patrik Novák

Level 3 Valued Member
greetings all power game and fitness fans ...
First I introduce myself :

As a youth before graduation and during maturity, I began to tremble a classic heavy weight training (squats-deadlith 5x5 etc...) as a power training for the game and BJJ competitive. After school I started S&S 5 years consistently 40 kg for both exercises) I was looking for a lot and I found the concept Strong endurance and last 2-3 years I train A+A 32-36kg occasionally I change for Q&D...

My goal was always clear I was always looking for the most effective functional training that will allow me to work(armed forces) and in life or my hobby bow hunting and mountain expedition perhaps the most effective and allow me to manage my responsibilities

I'm a real strength training enthusiast and devour all the information Al Ciampa blogs ,Strongfirst, Dan john work, Paul Chek, Tactical athletes programs and so

but in some cases I am not quite clear for example:
With my own experience I know of A+A snatches proofing man to prepare for everything without debate ...

Mike Salemi or Paul Chek are advocates of more extensive functional training covering Lunge, Bent, squat, pull push and twist movement patterns
Paul Chek
is a very intelligent trainer and his concept of functional training is a relatively timeless trainer a large number of the world's top athletes

I know with my own experience of some functional moves it is also very useful to train: Rotational movements for example pick up something difficult and relocate it in front of myself wherever ...Or lunge with backpack in forest...

thank you for all advice types and personal experience

I noticed you didn't get a reply with your question, which I think is a great question and one that I have wondered myself.

I am definitely not the one qualified to answer the question but my thoughts on the question have lead me to consider the idea of adding a variety day like the one in the Enter The Kettlebell program. It allows one day a week of any lift you want. If you want to work specific movements this might be a good option.

Also keep in mind the S&S program uses the TGU which has a lung movement pattern. One handed swings also work the stability of your core similar, maybe not exactly, to a twisting motion would.

Just some thoughts that might be helpful.

Hello Patrik,

A lot of prominent trainers have come up with their own variations of "functional" movements while others such as Pavel will prescribe very basic routines. It can be difficult to know what you should do. Here is my perspective that I've developed over the last 10 years working as a trainer.

I think of exercise as a supplement to an active lifestyle. If your job or lifestyle has you crawling under things, lifting objects, twisting turning etc then you probably only need to identify your passions and work towards those passions. For instance if you have a manual labor job and you want to get strong then you probably have the foundation to just get strong because your job has taken care of your general movement foundation.

If your job has a lot of repetitive movements then you'll probably need to supplement with a bit more exercise to stay healthy. You may not need to perform the entire list of "functional" movements because one or more of them will probably be overdeveloped from the activity that you're already getting.

If you have a sedentary job, like an office worker, then you'll probably need to supplement all of the "functional" movements. These can be the hardest people to program for because they need more attention on everything.

I've found that most people fall somewhere in the middle. They don't need to train all of the movements that Paul Chek and other suggest, instead they just need to stay familiar with them. I've found an effective solution is to use more variety in warm ups (plenty of lunging, twisting, standing up from the ground etc) and keeping my focus on a few high payoff movements for their strength training.

I hope that helps. Cheers!
Griff

My experience is if you have a solid foundation of general strength you don't need a ton of rotational or other functional movement patterns.

I've adopted some focus areas from Mountain Tactical Institute by including loaded step-ups, which have very good transfer to hiking, and some rotational clean movements with sandbag. Previously used circular cleans with KB but those didn't have nearly the carryover I get from sandbags.

I view these as very basic functional work, along with get-ups and a small amount of work handling a load at arm's length, covering most of my day to day needs.
Definition of "functional" is 90% an individual matter.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom