all posts post new thread

Old Forum Pavel, ?s on back off sets and sheyko

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Train2Train

Level 5 Valued Member
Pavel, just wondering what your opinion on back off sets is? Say a program with low volume with high intensity (3 reps) and then take 80% and do a few sets of 5 for more volume and hypertrophy. Also, is there anyway you could write an article on the mysterious Boris Sheyko "system" and what a full cycle would look like for all three powerlifts. I'm extremely interested but can't find much info on it. Thanks

Dustin, back-off sets, when done right work very well and have been a part of many top lifters' training: Hugh Cassidy and others.  The downside of a low volume high intensity protocol (e.g. 90% 1RM x 3/3) is no hypertrophy and even muscle loss.  Several years ago Japanese scientists added one back-of sets with 50% 1RM to such protocol and the results were a pronounced endocrine response, more muscle, and more strength.

As for Sheyko, he used to be one of the coaches for the Soviet junior weightlifting team and his system is based on the Soviet weightlifting methodology.

He prescribes a lot of volume with sets far from failure.  Typically, one does about half of the reps or fewer compared to the fresh RM, e.g. 85% x 2 (likely 5RM), 80% x 3 (likely 8RM).  And with lighter weights in back-off sets the ratio to RM is even lower, e.g. 50% 1RM x 10.

The average intensity is 70% and the main training weights are 80 and 85%.  The lifts are trained multiple times a week and the frequency increases with experience, e.g. beginners bench 3 times a week, intermediate 4, etc.  Loads are carefully waved.  A typical four week cycle in the prep period starts with a high volume week, then the volume drops in the second and third weeks as the main weights go up to 80 and then 85%.  In week four the volume is the lowest and the lifter might hit 90% for a couple of singles.

It is a great system that builds a lot of strength safely.  To understand its origins read "How Russians Pressed Overhead" superfeature in PTP Pro and anything you can get your hands on about Soviet weightlifting, especially Vorobyev, Medvedev, Roman, Chernyak.

Very interesting. I'm looking to add back-off sets to my low-volume powerlifting style program. This is something to consider. Thank you, Pavel.

Reminds me of something Marty Gallagher wrote in his book, The Purposeful Primitive, something along the lines of him wanting to conduct an experiment to see if pushing a lifters 50% numbers up would have any transfer increasing their 1RM.

Pavel, what could be deemed correct use of back-off sets? How do you cycle these back-off sets?

Right now, I cycle deadlift and MP, one top set, each cycle to new 5RM. I have not enough knowledge of Strongfirst programming to understand this and unless Strongfirst comes to Belgium, I never will. Only Deadlift Dynamite helped my understanding of cycling.

Siemen, if you have no intention to study programming in depth, your best bet is to stick to written programs exactly—back-off sets or not.

Pavel, wouldn't you say the "Bear" program in PTTP is such a program that could be done as written and includes back-off sets?  It seems that way to me.  They're not 50% 1RM back-off sets, of course, but the idea seems the same to me, just a question of what % and what rep range one wants to use for the back-off sets.

Thanks.

-S-

Pavel, I do want to understand programming principles, I just do not understand them enough. There is too much information out there. I'm not able to see the essence. It's becoming quite frustrating and makes me hop from one to the other

Steve, you are correct.

Siemen, then you should read books on the topic.  Internet might answer some specific questions but will not educate you Zatsiorsky's and Kraemer's books are a good place to start.

Thank you for the advice, Pavel. I will read it definetely.

Internet just confuses me, there's too much info and I know too few. Programming is one reason I want to do an SFG course

Pavel, you should put up a reading list on the blog with books you think people would benefit from. Dan John does it every now and then I think it's a great idea.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom