all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Peripheral Heart Action?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
Does anyone have experience with PHA type training? I'm thinking of trying something like that and wanted to see what people think of it.

Thanks.

I like to think I use a form of it every time I train. I always work in pairings of push or pull opposite hinge or squat.

This effectively adds recovery time to every movement, though it isn't 100% recovery as the non-working group is lending a hand clearing metabolites. Personally I think its the ideal way to resistance train unless doing a lot of compound circuits or similar.

I have never done the more technical form where you work from close to the heart outward - I don't know anyone who has.

I was thinking of alternating a PHA type circuit with more of a strength workout on a MWF schedule.

There's a few exercises I'd like to maintain that help my shoulder, back, and foot to feel and function normally, I thought I'd include those in my PHA circuit. I made the mistake of going away from them for a while and my symptoms worsened until I started working them again. I don't necessarily need to progress them, just keep enough volume to be "good" at them. But I've been doing the same thing for several weeks now and feel ready to try something different for a while.

There are a lot of ways to use them. Even when doing whole body circuits I still arrange them in up down fashion based on whatever is being worked hardest in a particular exercise.

They work for nearly everything though, you could do C&P opposite double front squat, snatches opposite SLDL etc. The only time they don't make sense is when you start using a lot of whole body compound movements, then there's really nothing to put opposite.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom