all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Personal Goal: Achieving Simple Time Standard in 7 Weeks... Doable?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dnguyen411

Level 5 Valued Member
Since July 2017, I've been working with the 32 kg bell starting with two-handed swings, moving to alternating two handed and one-handed swings in August. Got injured in September and had to do alternative training for a while (but still did kettlebell work at a lighter weight). Started two-handed swings again in October with the 32 kg bell. Alternating two handed and one-handed again in November and half of December. And now one-handed since mid-December (note there was a 2 week break in January since I was out of the country with no kettlebell is sight). (See details in my Training Log)

With all that said, my original goal when I stated in the "Simple or Sinister Standard: Who's going to do it in 2018?" thread was to achieve Simple by May 2018. I'm getting impatient and want to achieve the Simple time goal sooner. My new goal starting today is to achieve Simple in 7 weeks (Week of March 26th).

Here's my plan:

Every week, I would do at least 3 or 4 "heavy" training sessions with the 32 kg bell Swings and 36 kg TGUs. I made the Simple goal with the TGUs a while ago so to me there's no a huge benefit with going back down to 32 kg.

Every Tuesday morning, I take a cycling class at the gym just for something different (and I enjoy it) for about 45 mins at medium to medium-hard intensity.

Finally, for 1 or 2 training sessions, I would switch to a 24 kg bell for Swings and TGUs for eccentric swings and do 2x2 TGUs in each arm followed by 1x1 TGUs with a 10 second hold in each position.

So at least 5 or 6 days in the gym with one of those days devoted to cycling.

For the heavy swings, I'm starting this week EMOM. Each subsequent week, I'm dropping 5 seconds off the time. If I did my math right, by the beginning of week 7, I should be completing my 10x10 swings in about 5:30 mins (35 second intervals times 10 sets minus ~20 seconds to complete the last set of swings, then divide by 60 to convert to mins). For testing day, if my math is correct, I need to set my timer for 31 second intervals to complete 10x10 swings in 4:50 mins.

TGUs would still be done with the 36 kg but I would switch to 32 kg on test day.

Now for the loaded question:

Is this plan doable? If so, what do I need to do from a nutritional and resting standpoint to help me? If you are wondering about my current stats, I'm 67.75 inches tall (172 cm), weight ~185 lbs (84 kgs), 37 years of age, medium build, ~18 to 20% body fat. No current set diet regiment other than trying to eat at least 100 grams of protein/day.

If you achieved Simple, any helpful advice?

You know, there's probably no good training plan that starts with "I'm getting impatient ".

With that said, I'm no trainer... but I'd say just go for it. One of two things will happen. Either you'll succeed, which will be awesome. Or, you'll fail - which is not that bad. Failure is a chance to reset and readdress, and let go of whatever internal pressure you might be putting on yourself. To push further, we have to be willing to risk, and even accept, failure.

Just listen to your body and don't get hurt.

Hello,

Regarding the nutrition, here is an article on the blog:
3 Simple Nutrition Principles to Power Up Your Simple & Sinister Training | StrongFirst

Then, why do you want to go "that fast" ? There is no rush. Taking time is some kind of guarantee to build both CNS, muscle and joints. Plus it will permit you to refine your technique.

Otherwise, because I am not a trainer and because there are far more experienced and knowledgeable folks:
Simple & Sinister Progression Tactic | StrongFirst
From Simple to Sinister: Waving Volume on S&S | StrongFirst

Kind regards,

Pet'

I get inspired by your energy! Just make sure that the longterm goal of being "100 % injury free" has a higher priority than the Simple Goal.

@dnguyen411
"Getting impatient" is probably not a good wording.
Setting a target, on the other hand, is a good way to progress. If I had not set targets like going to StrongFirst certification (bus bench training), let's face it, I would have made little progress in the past few years. I know by experience!

Of what I see, you are already at simple fo the getup, and you swing one handed for 10 sets with the 32kg in 10 min.
So, yes, you will probably be at simple in 7 weeks.

If I were you (I am not, so as usual, feel free to discard what I say...), I would ensure to wave the load of the getups. Train the 36, but go back sometimes to the 32 or even lighter. Own the technique, have "light" days, spend some time in every steps in the getup with a light bell (for you, it is 32kg and less). You will see more progress than if you stick with the heavier bell all the time.

For swings, you have plenty of time to reach the target. I would go by feeling, not timing anything (meaning no EMOM or so). Use the talk test, or HR monitoring. If you want to track time, start a chrono when you start the swings, but then don't look at it until you finish and log your time; don't look at it during your training. Eventually, introduce occasionally the 36kg for 2 sets (left and right), even if for less than 10 reps. Heavy weight is instructive and will improve your 32kg swing technique.

For the heavy swings, I'm starting this week EMOM. Each subsequent week, I'm dropping 5 seconds off the time. If I did my math right, by the beginning of week 7, I should be completing my 10x10 swings in about 5:30 mins (35 second intervals times 10 sets minus ~20 seconds to complete the last set of swings, then divide by 60 to convert to mins). For testing day, if my math is correct, I need to set my timer for 31 second intervals to complete 10x10 swings in 4:50 mins.

Disclaimer: I haven't reached Simple yet.

This approach doesn't sound like a good idea to me. For the last 4 weeks, you will be doing your swings in less than 7 minutes, with a weight that is challenging for you. And you'll be doing this 4-6 times a week. It sounds like too glycolitic and too much.

I would rather keep the time reasonable for most sessions, maybe in the 10 minute range, and once a week go for under 6 minutes (or as fast as possible with good form).

Eventually, introduce occasionally the 36kg for 2 sets (left and right), even if for less than 10 reps. Heavy weight is instructive and will improve your 32kg swing technique.

This sounds like a good idea to me. When I increased weight in swings, the lighter weight felt very easy to achieve the time standards with.

Anyone who has seen your training log knows that you are definitely not an impatient person! You've been at it for a long time and are very persistent and dedicated. I'm fully confident you can do the Simple standard within your time frame.

Personally I'm not a fan of "slowly compressing the rest periods" --- I'd rather go to the extremes and have plenty of rest for most sessions (except once a week or once every 2 weeks - a 5-minute or close session and/or non-stop swings as prescribed in S&S), and then in the 2-3 weeks leading up to test day go with very little rest (5-7 minutes total for the swings) for glycolytic peaking. As @Oscar said, with your plan you'll be going a lot of high stress sessions for many weeks so that could lead you to more of a burnout. That said, you've been at it so long I think you would probably do OK with that too, it just might not be optimum. Basically I'd say wave the time periods more in the first weeks then just compress the time in the final weeks.

Good luck and looking forward to your success!

Then, why do you want to go "that fast" ? There is no rush. Taking time is some kind of guarantee to build both CNS, muscle and joints. Plus it will permit you to refine your technique.

There may not be a rush, but I can see the finish line and boy do I want to sprint and cross it. Yes, I could get there at a steady pace but the excitement knowing that I'm this close to a goal is eating at me.

It's been a long journey for me to get to where I'm at right now. About 8 years ago, I was at my heaviest at 215 lbs (98 kg) with high blood pressure and starting to feel aches and pain that I was not happy with. I knew I needed to do something so, along with my Wife, we embarked on losing weight and getting healthy. 2 years in, I dropped to 180 lbs (81.6 kg). Throughout the 8 years time, I ran my first 5K, then my first half-marathon, did at least two years of 5x5 barbell training to achieve a 315 lbs deadlift. For each of these milestones, that same feeling of seeing the finish line and crossing it in a dead sprint has always come up. Is it completely smart... probably not. But the feeling is there.

Plan revision:

Based on the feedback, I'm going to revise my plan. Rather than do every heavy session for time, I'm going to reserve a test day each week but still try and keep some time goals.

Week 1: EMOM (Successful)
Week 2: 8 mins
Week 3: 7:30 mins
Week 4: 7 mins
Week 5: 6:30 mins
Week 6: 6 mins
Week 7: 5 mins (Goal)

S&S is not a x weeks powerlifting cycle. Don't plan PR. Patience. Practice. Enjoy the practice.

Yes, I've followed the S&S training with disciplined practice and patience. As much as I respect your teachings, my competitive spirit is telling me to sprint to the end. May not be the smartest thing to do and yes, I may crash and burn, but it's go time.

Now that I think about it, I think watching all these young competitors at the Olympics this week is really driving my current mood.

S&S is not a x weeks powerlifting cycle. Don't plan PR. Patience. Practice. Enjoy the practice.

While I agree with this, I'm still going to respond to the original question.

Personally I'm not a fan of "slowly compressing the rest periods" --- I'd rather go to the extremes and have plenty of rest for most sessions (except once a week or once every 2 weeks - a 5-minute or close session and/or non-stop swings as prescribed in S&S),

+1.

Eventually, introduce occasionally the 36kg for 2 sets (left and right), even if for less than 10 reps. Heavy weight is instructive and will improve your 32kg swing technique.
This sounds like a good idea to me. When I increased weight in swings, the lighter weight felt very easy to achieve the time standards with.

+1 to using a heavier bell. In fact, I'd go right ahead and start doing most of your training with the heavier bell. Try starting with sets of 5 and do 20 sets to make the same total volume. If and when you can do more than 5 strong full power reps per set, you can add reps and adjust the number of sets accordingly. Go by feel, but don't rush. Recover sufficiently plus an extra margin between sets.

I'm going to reserve a test day each week but still try and keep some time goals.

Week 1: EMOM (Successful)
Week 2: 8 mins
Week 3: 7:30 mins
Week 4: 7 mins
Week 5: 6:30 mins
Week 6: 6 mins
Week 7: 5 mins (Goal)

A testing session like this once a week with the 32 will complement the more relaxed work with the 36 (or 40 if you have one and can swing it in good form).

But you don't have to go by a predetermined schedule for your tests. I'd actually recommend just going by a 31 second interval for as many sets as you can keep it up. When you feel like you can't make the next work set strong and crisp, just go by feel (still pushing yourself to minimize total time) to complete all 10 sets, and note the total time. So instead of compressing total time by incrementally decreasing the intervals, you are trying to increase the number of sets at your target interval. This has the benefits of getting you accustomed to test pace, being more self-regulating, and probably giving you a truer picture of how close you are to your goal.

Now that I think about it, I think watching all these young competitors at the Olympics this week is really driving my current mood.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one! I was talking to my wife just last night about how Olympic athletes just seem to get younger and younger - which doesn't help. (For context: last night we watched Women's Half-Pipe Snowboarding. One of USA's competitors was only 17!)

Also, best of luck man. I check out your training log every once in a while and know you've put in the work! Get it done (safely)!

I'd actually recommend just going by a 31 second interval for as many sets as you can keep it up. When you feel like you can't make the next work set strong and crisp, just go by feel (still pushing yourself to minimize total time) to complete all 10 sets, and note the total time. So instead of compressing total time by incrementally decreasing the intervals, you are trying to increase the number of sets at your target interval. This has the benefits of getting you accustomed to test pace, being more self-regulating, and probably giving you a truer picture of how close you are to your goal.

Now that is a brilliant idea! And one I don't ever recall seeing before.

I would go so far as to say that this would be an excellent technique for everyone doing S&S to do, once every 2 weeks. No matter what kettlebell you are working with. Instead of non-stop swings every 2 weeks. Instead of seeing how much you can do in 5 minutes periodically. Instead of trying to "compress" rest periods. Just do this -- maybe every other Friday or whenever you have an expected rest day or easy day the next day, do your swings on the :30 until you HAVE to have more rest to have good swings or catch your breath or whatever your limiter is. Then take the mimum rest between the rest of the sets to the end of your 10 sets, and see note the time to see where you are. It will teach you a lot and get you closer towards your goal.

Now that is a brilliant idea! And one I don't ever recall seeing before.

I would go so far as to say that this would be an excellent technique for everyone doing S&S to do, once every 2 weeks. No matter what kettlebell you are working with. Instead of non-stop swings every 2 weeks. Instead of seeing how much you can do in 5 minutes periodically. Instead of trying to "compress" rest periods. Just do this -- maybe every other Friday or whenever you have an expected rest day or easy day the next day, do your swings on the :30 until you HAVE to have more rest to have good swings or catch your breath or whatever your limiter is. Then take the mimum rest between the rest of the sets to the end of your 10 sets, and see note the time to see where you are. It will teach you a lot and get you closer towards your goal.

I like this too. Thanks :)

Why the rush? Enjoy the ride, you're in this for the long run.

The ride has been great so far. I'm in the best shape of my life. Like I said earlier, my pseudo-Olympic spirit is calling on me to sprint to the finish. Yes, it's purely emotional and illogical but I be damn if I didn't give it a good try. Heck, maybe this is my version of a mid-life crisis. At least I haven't had the urge to buy a Ferrari.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom