all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Personal training recerts and gen-pop training advice?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bluejeff

Level 7 Valued Member
I have some questions for those of you who hold personal training certs.

I currently have a NASM cert which I aquired during the summer of 2020. All of my contacts who owned gyms had to close their gyms that year, so I never really got to use it. I am now about to transfer to a university which happens to have job listings for personal/group fitness trainers. I have to renew my NASM cert by July, however, and am looking for some (hopefully) home study programs to get my continuing education credits/units.

Additionally, I have the most experience teaching groups, but also enjoyed personal training. My experience was mostly teaching calisthenics and gymnastic strength training. The position will be at the university gym, so the clients will be more general population.

For those of you who have personal training certs:

-do you have any recommendations for CEU courses, whether they are directly through NASM or other sources approved by NASM?

-Should I find a course that I can complete easily just to get the credits? I am entering a university exercises science program, so I don't know if some material would be redundant/overkill or worth my time and effort given I am paying for univeristy education in this field.

-Are there programs you don't recommend? That is, programs that you didn't think were worth the time/money?

-Do you have any advice regarding training general population clients? I'm not imagining the exercises and/or programming to be tough. I just haven't spent a ton of time in a weight room. Tagging along off the above questions, would a weightlifting course or something be a good option? I am not terribly concered about exercise execution, as I doubt I would be training folks lifting serious weight or looking to compete in strength sports. Thoughts there?

Thanks for any responses, advice!

My advice is to do things that interest you.

Also, look into whether your university courses can fit the requirement. From my NASM-CPT Recertification Guidelines .pdf:

1650220146194.png

For other courses that aren't listed or owned by NASM, NASM has a petition process where you can submit a course for consideration. Every 2 years you have to do CPR for .1 credit, then you have to get 1.9 from other sources for a total of 2. A typical weekend course is usually not enough, though. Example:

1650219745460.png

So I had to submit another one... And pay another petition fee of $25. But but they did approve Strong Endurance also:

1650219819869.png

And that was enough for my 2-year requirement.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom