all posts post new thread

physical culture

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
I'm fascinated in learning about the history of physical culture, both in terms of historically but also more recent (eg last ~100years) and how different cultures/ethnicities/nations differ in physical culture, development etc. I've read stuff about the ancient greeks/romans and whatnot but curious to see what others have read in this area.

If anyone has recommendations on reading, post away! Books, articles, doesn't matter.

I'm fascinated in learning about the history of physical culture, both in terms of historically but also more recent (eg last ~100years) and how different cultures/ethnicities/nations differ in physical culture, development etc. I've read stuff about the ancient greeks/romans and whatnot but curious to see what others have read in this area.

If anyone has recommendations on reading, post away! Books, articles, doesn't matter.
By Pavel Macek:

And this insta profile has some interesting pictures!

By Pavel Macek:

And this insta profile has some interesting pictures!

I think something like this shows just how far sports like weightlifting have come

"At a bodyweight of 85kg/187lb, Ernest was able to perform a one-arm dumbbell swing with 198lbs and a right-hand barbell snatch with 211lbs. Furthermore, from 1921-1925 he set 3 records for the Clean and Jerk (135kg/297lb, 140kg/308lb and 140.5kg/309.8lb)."

The current world record for the C&J in the 81kg weight class is over 200kg, or nearly 50% more weight by smaller people.

Well as regards the Greek and Romans, they had a very developed gymnastics and acrobatics coupled with high levels of wrestling, boxing and MMA, also track and field, not to mention fencing (which is often forgotten about for some reason!) It seems these skills never died out and were practiced through the Middle Ages and into modern times. They had things like dumbbells, chinup bars, heavy rocks, but it seems that they especially used a partner's actual body for a lot of weight lifting, and so strength training was often linked in the Greek mind with wrestling drills and wrestling itself. However, all the athletic and acrobatic arts were seen as developing strength and all the other athletic and heath qualities we still look for in these same activities. A lot of people don't know that the modern rec centre concept is a revival of the ancient roman baths-gymnasia, so the ancient stuff would seem extremely eerily familiar to a modern person! Some rules difference though in the sports, and there were no barbells, and like I said weight training was more about lifting other people than about lifting objects. Frankly, I can't see why there isn't some kind of human-lifting callisthenics movement today. It would make perfect sense to do it! I guess hard cast iron is just too plentiful to need it, and there are plenty of judo, BJJ etc gyms around!

When I got my first set of Indian clubs, I also bought a vintage training manual:

The Indian Club Exercise: With Explanatory Figures and Positions

Sim D. Kehoe, 1866

51fS9Owj+zL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I was sold the minute I saw what was clearly Freddie Mercury on the cover.

s-l500.jpg

I've read Taming the Bent Press which is mostly about how to Bent Press, but it also contains some fun parts about history. From what I've read, weight lifting used to be a circus act. Most people got their excercise back then from working labor or on a farm. These days people sit in an office so they have to invent ways to stay fit. I feel lucky to have a job that is about half office and half labor.

thanks everyone, these are some great resources.

I'm wondering if anyone has any links to similar materials re: physical culture/education for youth, as compared in different cultures or countries

Muscle Smoke and Mirrors <-book
A history lesson about physical culture. Have only read the first in the series however.

Edit: oh just saw its an old thread and i responded with the same think back then

If anyone has recommendations on reading, post away!
Tan Slack

Tan Slack is one of the weirdest names there is for a strength training site.

However, it contains some of the best innovative training information methods that were performed decades ago that are still applicable.

Unfortunately, some of these innovate methods from the past were lost in time.

One is "The Original Westside Box Training Method". Simmons Westside Box Squatting Method modified the original method. As per Joe DeMarco (information below on Joe), Simmons read information but did not know the details.

George Frenn's 853 record set December 12, 1970

1711106015361.png

Frenn's Squatted 853 lbs as a 242 lb lifter in a Wrestling Suit. That back when good lifters were Squatting around 800 lbs.

Frenn's Squat can be attributed to genetics and "The Old Westside Squat Training Method". This method working for all of "The Original Westside Members".

The foundation of Simmons' Westside Powerlifting Box Squat Program is build on "The Original Westside Culver City, CA Program developed by George Frenn and Joe Demarco.

Joe DeMarco was one of "The Original Westside Lifter", Coaches and Innovators of Powerlifting. Joe was one of the mastermind of "The Original Westside Box Squatting Method; which I didn't know.

A lifter who was being coached by DeMarco introduced me to him. I was invite to a "Mini Joe DeMarco Seminar Training Session" at the gym they trained at and learn some innovated training methods.

One of the things I learn was...

The Original Westside Training Method

The Tan Slack article above provides the basic training information. Unfortunately, it did not address some of the important details.

1) Low Box and HIgh Box Squatting was part of their program.

2) "A Rocking Box Squat" was performed.

Ron Fernando wrote a good article for Powerlifting USA back in the 1980s or 90s on "The Original Westside Box Squat Training Method".

The title the article was, "The Rocking Box Squat"...which it is.

Breaking Down The Technique of "The Rocking Box Squat"

1) Sit down and back on the box, as you would with sitting on a sofa.

2) In driving off the box to get up, rock forward, as you would in getting up off in a low seated position on a sofa.

3) Prior to rocking forward, lift you heels off the floor.

4) As you rock forward, Slam You Heels into the floor.

Anna
had a nice post a while back on "Stomp Squats", which is essentially the same.

Rocking forward on the box and coordinating the "Heel Stomp", as I learned in my mini gym session with Joe DeMarco is all about timing.

It took me a few training session to figure out.

This method is essentially a...

EXPLOSIVE-BALLISTIC Movement
Source: Fundamental Strength Training, Verkhoshansky

An Explosive Ballistic is initiated with movement.

Ballistic meaning that a body or object goes airborne.

Shot Putt Example

The Shot Putt is performed with a Spin or Glide Movement prior to launching the Shot.

The same is true with "The Original Westside Rocking Box Squat"

A Power Training Squats with loads of 46-62% of 1 Repetition Max isn't going airborne into a Jump Squat but you might come up on your toes with the Lighter Power Training Percentages.

While you don't go airborne and perform a Jump Squat, what matters is...

"The Intent"

"The Intent" with Load, regardless of how heavy is to perform in a Jump Squat.

Dr. Fred Hatfield's CAT (Compensatory Acceleration Training) applies to "The Intent"; driving the load up as hard and fast as possible.

Doing so, elicits and develop The Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber.

Some other "Old School" Training Method are...

1) Bob Peoples Deadlift Training Method

In "March of 1948 found Bob lifting 704 pounds in Detroit." His top Deadllft was 725 lbs.

2) Bruce Randle's Heavy Good Morning Training

"Good Morning – with legs bent, back parallel to floor, 685."

Randall's Squatted 680 by only Training Heavy Good Mornings.

Simmons Method for performing Heavy Good Morning for Powerlifting Squat came from Bruce's Randall's ability to perform a Heavy Squat by not Squatting.

The Belly Toss Bench Press

This is one an "Old School Method" that very few have heard about or seen that I learned from DeMarco.

My initial reaction was WTF?! It took me a little time to learn it. So, start light and go slow if you try it.

Also, strap some Gardens Pads around you chest with something like a Bungee Cord; it works great.

1711108127318.png

This method is unorthodox and appears to be a bit crazy. However, it is an effective training method, especially for Wrestlers pinned on the floor; enabling them to get their opponent off them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom