all posts post new thread

Old Forum Physical Education For Fire Dept

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Doug Descant

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey Comrade,

I've been recently brainstorming on where the Good Lord is wanting me to use my talents. Do any of you have advice on how to propose, plan, and implement a comprehensive physical education program for fire dept personnel?

i know many of you do the same for military organizations and FD are based on a para-military structure. i figure there's a lot of similarities.

CAD/heart attacks are the #1 killer of ff's today. my dept likes to remind us of that w/ such things as pointless online "health assessments" (whatever that means) and does nothing to really promote fire fighter strength and fitness.

we have to meet basic standards in the academy that have more to do with pretending you can do 40 flexed arm pull ups and absolutely nothing to do w/ progressive strength and resiliency. once you're out, there's no real standard to be maintained.

i've only been in the dept about 10 yrs (relative drop in the bucket) and already i have experienced 10 line of duty deaths. most of them had to do w/ trauma/injury on the fire ground and 2 were due to heart attacks.  4 of occurred this past march at a hotel fire where an unseen fire in the attic space burned out the ceiling supports causing the roof to collapse on two crews. i was on scene and attempted to resuscitate one of my brothers.

there's images in my head i would very much like to burn out of my memory, but can't. i feel i need to honor their memory by giving others better odds in times of stress.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

God bless

Hey Doug,

You worked with me a few years back.  Just wondering if the Primal Fire Gym is still up and running?  Hope your doing well.

Dan Anderson is an SFG/former RKC who posts here from time to time. He worked with several local fire departments in my town, and is very well spoken of for his efforts. You might look him up in the instructor listing and contact him.

Doug,

This is one of the roles that I serve for the Military organization I currently work for.  I'd be glad to offer assistance / brainstorm ideas with you.

Where are you located?  What training equipment do you have available?  How many bodies?  What is your background / experience?

Understand that when you're dealing with metabolic disturbances like you describe, it's  largely about nutrition.  Not that the movement piece isn't important too, but education and offering effective intervention on that front is key.

-Al

Doug:

Most instructors who frequent this forum, in addition to those without certification, could probably structure a program fulfilling the requirements that you desire.

Unfortunately, few take the time to recognize logistics, labor unions, fraternal organizations, and other matters that may hinder the aforementioned programs' institution.

That said, there are a number of certified instructors directly involved in municipal department training, besides myself. Within the Strong First community, in addition to the other recommendations in the thread, I would suggest contacting Zar Horton.

Good luck with your training goals and be safe.

Yup, Zar Horton was who came to mind when I read this post as well. He's listed with the Master SFG Instuctors listing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom